Best Plant Based Meal Kit Delivery Services in 2021
Do you eat a plant based diet? We’ve done research on the available plant based meal kit delivery services. Check out our reviews for the top 5 plant based meal kit delivery service companies to see what might be the best choice for you, then keep reading to learn everything you’d need to know before you purchase your first kit.
Blue Apron Meal Kit
Blue Apron has the widest variety of globally inspired recipes compared to other meal delivery services. This service was also one of the first to hit the market. Blue Apron offers:
- Inexpensive cost per serving
- Wide variety of global cuisines
- Wine pairing subscription service
- Blue Apron Menu
Sun Basket Meal Kit Delivery service ships fresh and organic ingredients and recipes every month. It offers:
Home Chef meal kit delivery offers weekly deliveries that have fresh, pre-portioned ingredients that will make you feel like a perfect chef in about 30 minutes. It offers:
Purple Carrot is plant-based meal delivery service that is a convenient solution to cook up tasty, healthy plant-based meals. It offers:
Splendid Spoon is a unique meal delivery service that specializes in delivering nutrient dense, but delicious smoothies and soups. Meal plans are designed as breakfast or lunch options.
- Healthy, delicious plant based meals
- No cooking or prep required
- Supports weight loss
More ProductsFreshly Prepared Meal Delivery Service Fresh Meal Plan Review Daily Harvest Review Hello Fresh
Meal kit delivery services can be a life saver. But what if you have diet restrictions or just prefer a plant based diet? A growing number of consumers are choosing to eat plant-based diets. Fortunately, there are great plant based meal kit delivery services.
Actually, meal kits make plant based eating easier. Vegetarians and vegans can eat a well-balanced diet without sacrificing their values. Undoubtedly, you can find a number of vegetarian and vegan-friendly options. Options are great with plant based food delivery services like Purple Carrot. In addition, mainstream meal kit delivery carriers also offer plant based menus like Sun Basket.
Best for Plant Based ONLY: Purple Carrot
Purple Carrot has introduced unique plant based recipes to the world of meal kit subscriptions. They are the strictly a plant based meal kit delivery service. Unquestionably, they make eating plant based fun and enjoyable. Purple Carrot originates from the hope that consumers will eat more vegetables rather than eat only vegetables. Furthermore, they introduce you to new vegetables, cooking techniques, and recipes that will have you excited to cook. Purple Carrot believes that plants have the power to change you and the planet.
Purple Carrot Pros
- Strictly Plant Based: 100% Plant-based recipes for vegans and vegetarians
- Safe for Food Allergies: Variety of nut-free and allergen-friendly recipes
- Flexible: Free shipping and flexible subscription
Purple Carrot Cons
- Dinner recipes can sometimes take more than 30 minutes
- Not all ingredients are organic or non-GMO certified
- Prices are higher than some competitors
The Benefits of Purple Carrot
Purple Carrot wants to change how the world eats. In fact, they open up access to their recipes for anyone to check out. Even if you’re not a member of Purple Carrot, you can still see their most popular recipes.
So, why plants? Purple Carrot makes it clear that they’re not anti-animal, just pro-plant. They don’t shame users to modify their recipes with meat. But rather, they help consumers add more plants to their diets.
Purple Carrot not only keeps you healthy, but they also help you maintain a more eco-friendly, sustainable choice when it comes to dinnertime. With less water used to grow vegetables than to produce meat, plant-based recipes use fewer resources to create.
Best for Vegans: Splendid Spoon
Splendid Spoon is a unique vegan meal delivery service that specializes in delivering nutrient dense but delicious smoothies and soups.
Souping is the new juicing, according to the New York Times, and Splendid Spoon is leading the whole foods cleansing craze.
Splendid Spoon delivers plant-based, gluten free meals made with non-GMO ingredients.
The best part?
There’s zero cooking required with this meal delivery service. Read our full Splendid Spoon review to see if this is the best meal kit delivery service for your needs.
Splendid Spoon offers some great pros, particularly for people who want to eat plant based meals. We’ll go over some of our favorite pros in this section of our Splendid Spoon review.
- Convenient breakfast and lunch options: Many meal kit delivery services focus on providing simple dinners. Splendid Spoon has you covered for breakfast and lunch when you’re most likely to be at work or school.
- Easy cleanses: If you want to go on a cleanse, Splendid Spoon will make it easy. You’ll have ready-made food at your door, and you won’t go hungry because the food is actually filling.
- Healthy, delicious vegan meals: If you’re looking to eat more healthy food without trying to figure out how to incorporate healthy fruits and vegetables into your diet, Splendid Spoon is a great option.
- No cooking or prep required: Unlike other home delivery meals, Splendid Spoon’s soups and breakfast smoothies arrive at your door pre-made.
- Weight loss support: This service will help you manage your portion control and reduce how many unhealthy things are regularly a part of your diet.
As great as this service is, it’s not for everybody.
Here are some cons to keep in mind as you read our Splendid Spoon review:
- Expensive meal plans: Splendid Spoon is more expensive than some other services. However, the price makes sense when you consider how much nutrition you’re getting.
- Fixed menu options: Unlike other services that rotate between options or have new offerings every week, Splendid Spoon generally keeps the same options. This means you can keep getting your favorites, but you may get tired of the offerings after a while.
- Not suitable for families: Splendid Spoon is best used by individuals or a couple looking to easily improve their health. It’s not a good way to feed large families or young children.
Best No Mess Recipes: Daily Harvest
While most home delivery meals are geared towards dinner, Daily Harvest is unique in that their recipes are designed to make breakfast, lunch and even cleansing as easy as possible. This company is a subscription-based service that delivers all the ingredients you need for smoothies, soups, harvest bowls, overnight oats and parfaits to you. Ingredients come frozen in convenient (and recyclable) to-go cups.
Daily Harvest has some great advantages we want to highlight as part of our Daily Harvest review:
- Easy clean-up: You won’t have any dishes to wash because containers are included.
- Easy plant-based meals: Switching to a plant-based diet can be tricky. Daily Harvest makes this process easier for you. You’ll be able to eat quick, delicious plant-based meals without the hassle of figuring out what to eat and shopping for ingredients.
- Flavorful, organic produce: Your smoothies, bowls and other products from Daily Harvest will always have high-quality, organic produce.
- Little prep and cook time: Ingredients come frozen and pre-portioned. You can spend your time doing something besides getting ready to eat.
- No added ingredients: Daily Harvest does not add sugar or other ingredients to their meals.
- No food waste: Ingredients are pre-portioned in individual to-go cups or containers. This means that you’ll no longer have little bits and pieces to figure out how to use or throw out when they go bad.
- Reasonable prices: Fruits and vegetables (especially organic ones) can be expensive to buy and turn into meals yourself. Considering how much nutrition you’re getting and how easy this service is, Daily Harvest is a great deal.
As much as we love Daily Harvest, it’s not going to be a good fit for everyone. Here are some cons to keep in mind as you read through Daily Harvest reviews:
- Few dinner options: Daily Harvest doesn’t have a lot of options if you’re looking for a service to take care of dinners for you. This service is best for breakfast, lunch or cleansing.
- No meat options: Daily Harvest is designed for vegan, plant-based diets only. If you like to have meat as a major part of your diet, this might not be the right service for you.
Best for Customer Satisfaction: Home Chef
Home Chef is a great meal kit delivery service with plant based options. In addition, has the highest rate of customer satisfaction among leading meal kit companies.
If you have a large family of more than four, Home Chef is a great plant based meal kit delivery service to try. In fact, contrary to other services, Home Chef offers up to six portions per recipe.
Home Chef makes cooking simple by delivering all the ingredients you need to make delicious meals for a reasonable price. Each portion costs just $7.99 per person. And, much cheeper than eating out.
Every week, you can choose from 13 different menu options. In addition, you have the choice of adding in lunch options that take just 5 minutes to make. Every dinner recipe takes just 30 minutes, including both prep and cook time.
Home Chef Pros
- Competitive price per serving: Compared to both grocery store ingredient costs and other meal delivery services,.
- Five-minute lunches: Options to add five-minute lunches to your order.
- Options for the number of servings: Home Chef lets you choose between two, four, and six servings.
Home Chef Cons
- Limited ingredient information: Home Chef doesn’t provide much information about the sourcing of ingredients.
- Limited menu options: The general menu options are more limited than they are with other services.
- Some repeated recipes: If you want brand-new recipes all the time, you may be disappointed.
How Meal Kit Delivery Works?
Wondering how meal kit delivery services actually work? Most meal delivery services allow you to choose 3-4 different recipes per week and offer varying options for portion sizes. Moreover, most meal kit delivery services limit the portion options to just 2, 3 or 4 servings.
All meal kit delivery services update their menus weekly with new recipes. You generally have the choice of selecting from 8-20 different recipes per week.
Ingredients arrive individually wrapped. They usually are grouped based on the recipe in insulated boxes that can keep ingredients fresh for up to 12 hours after delivery.
Each meal kit box includes individual recipe cards. After cooking your meals, you can log back into your customer account and rate the recipes you received.
Health Benefits of Using a Plant Based Meal Delivery Service
Undoubtedly, you can actually lose weight using a plant based meal delivery service. The main reason is that they make it easy to manage portion control. You only get the number of servings for each recipe that you selected, so there’s likely to be no leftovers tempting you.
Meal delivery services also give you a full nutritional breakdown for each recipe before choosing your meals. This makes it easy to only cook recipes that meet your diet restrictions and weight loss goals. If you’re trying to lose weight, you can select recipes that are all under 500 calories a portion.Read More