The 5 Best Dumbbells for Home Gym in 2019
Have you found the best dumbells for your home gym or at-home workouts?
While most gym items tend to be somewhat limited in use, the fitness world is your oyster with a set of good quality dumbbells.
The first item that makes up many home gyms is the humble dumbbell. Dumbbells are arguably the symbol of fitness because they’re frequently featured in logos, cartoons, clothing designs, and advertisements.
If you want to build muscle and core strength, you need to add dumbells to your fitness equipment.
Here are our top picks for the best dumbells and how to pick the best ones for your workout.
#1 5-50 lb Rep Rubber Hex Dumbbell Set
For the most authentic home gym experience, you can’t go past the 5-50 lb Rep Rubber Hex Dumbbell Set. This set enables the user to achieve a full body workout ranging from beginner to advanced. The rack aligns perfectly against any wall. Features include:
- Free rubber mat to protect floors
- Premium low-odor rubber material
- Quick exercise transitions
#2 Merax Home Gym Weight Bench Set
If you like the ease and convenience of dial dumbbells, the Merax Home Gym Weight Bench Set will be unbeatable value! It combines 12 sets of weights into one. You’ll have everything you need to take your fitness to the next level. Features include:
- Allows diverse workout options
- Bench made from durable heavy duty safeguard steel
- Easy to adjust dial weights
#3 Merax Deluxe 71.5 Pounds Adjustable Dial Dumbbell
Dial dumbbells are the way of the future. With the Merax Deluxe 71.5 Pounds Adjustable Dial Dumbbell, the weight increment can be changed in seconds, giving the user a dynamic and time-effective workout. Features include:
- 12 weight settings
- Sleek, black design with supporting tray
- Quick adjustments
#4 Ringstar Starring 105-200 Lbs Adjustable Dumbbells
The Ringstar Starring 105 – 200 Lbs Adjustable Dumbbells are great for heavy lifters and bodybuilding enthusiasts. This set of dumbbells will last a lifetime while providing challenging increment options for a tough and intense workout every time. Features include:
- Easy assembly
- High-quality spray painted cast iron material
- Included plastic trays to prevent weights from rolling
#5 WF Athletic Supply 56 lb Dumbbell Set With Storage Rack
These beautifully colored and ergonomically shaped hex dumbbells make a great addition to a home gym or yoga studio. It’s perfect for HIIT workouts, walking, martial arts, and dance sports. This set is a top choice for beginners and cardio-fitness enthusiasts. Features include:
- Easy-to-assemble A-frame rack
- Hex shape to prevent rolling when placed on the ground
- Neoprene coating to assist grip and durability
Editors' Choice: 5-50lb Rep Rubber Hex Dumbbell Set
A good quality, hex-shaped rubber dumbbell never goes out of style. It is the perfect fitness staple. The Rep Rubber Hex Dumbbell Set is no exception.
This set has a premium low-odor rubber coating. The chrome-plated dumbbell handle is straight and fully knurled for maximum slip prevent and grip.
Hex dumbbells are indisputably versatile. Their design is perfect for both compound movements (such as squats) and isolation movements (like bicep curls and tricep extensions).
Different combinations of weight sets are available for up to 100lb weights.
Customers love this item. It boasts positive reviews and five-star ratings on Amazon.
Rep Rubber Hex Dumbbell Set Pros
- Included accessories: This set comes with a rack and floor mat.
- Knurled handle: The handle is easy to grip and prevents slipping.
- Organized weights: This set is easy to store against a wall. Weights sit on the rack in increments for quick exercise transitions.
Rep Rubber Hex Dumbbell Set Cons
- Assembly required: If you want to use the rack, you’ll need to take some time to build it.
- Large rack: This set can take up a lot of space.
- Shipment times: The company doesn’t send the whole set in one package. Parts can arrive at different times, which might delay getting into a workout routine.
Best Value: Merax Home Gym Weight Bench Set
If you are buying dumbbells, you are probably considering buying a weight bench to complement your workout. If that’s the case, Merax has the solution for you.
In one transaction, you can buy a durable set of top-rated adjustable dumbbells and an adjustable bench to take your workouts to the next level.
The dumbbell weight is adjustable in five-pound increments through a unique dial system. This system gives the user twelve weight settings to choose from without the wasted time of adding weight plates and fiddling with clips and screw caps.
The dial dumbbells are suitable for most types of workouts. They come with a tray and a stable rack for secure storage.
The bonus weight bench boasts four adjustments for the seat and six ladder adjustments through built-in heavy duty steel slots. This versatile design allows flat, upright, or multi-level incline and decline positions.
Merax Home Gym Weight Bench Set Pros
- Fantastic value: The buyer receives both the bench and the dial dumbbells set at the click of one button.
- Weight bench capacity: This bench can hold up to 800 pounds. You can adjust the dumbbells to 71.5 pounds each. These limits cater to a range of users.
- Workout options: This home fitness equipment offers increased workout options because of the ease of weight increments and the bench.
Merax Home Gym Weight Bench Set Cons
- Difficult storage: This bench doesn’t store easily because it can’t fold.
- Larger weights: Dial dumbbell weights can be larger than average non-adjustable dumbbells. They can be harder to grip during isolation movements.
- Space requirement: This workout equipment requires more space than the average set. You can’t unassemble the weights, and the weight bench takes up space.
Best Low Weight: WF Athletic Supply 56lb Neoprene Dumbbell Set
Weights and dumbbells don’t have to equal bodybuilding. Anyone can benefit from using them to complement a fitness routine and get a total body workout.
The WF Athletic Supply 56lb Neoprene Dumbbell Set is ideal for users who want to add a small weight to their workout. A small weight can increase intensity and muscle endurance.
Suited to sports like yoga, pilates, HIIT, and cardio boxing, these ergonomically hex-shaped weights provide the perfect added challenge and variety to many types of workouts.
With lively bright colors and beautifully arranged in an A-frame rack for easy storage, this dumbbell set from WF Athletic Supply will enhance any studio or home gym. It’s made from sturdy iron and dipped in neoprene so it will last a lifetime.
WF Athletic Supply 56lb Neoprene Dumbbell Set Pros
- A-frame rack: The rack makes it easy to keep your dumbells out of the way when you’re not using them.
- Durable covers: The neoprene protective cover adds durability and makes dumbbells easier to hold.
- Stylish design: The bright colors will add an attractive detail to your home gym or workout area.
WF Athletic Supply 56lb Neoprene Dumbbell Set Cons
- Low weight: Due to the low weight, this fitness equipment is best to complement muscle endurance rather than achieve substantial strength gains.
- Specific user needs: These weights target only a particular type of person because of the design and range.
- Weight increments: The large differences between weights can mean that one weight may be too light for a user while the next size up is too heavy.
Best Mid Weight: Merax Deluxe 71.5 Pounds Adjustable Dial Dumbbell
You have already seen the Merax Deluxe 71.5 Pounds Adjustable Dial Dumbbell earlier. This dumbbell set is available in the weight and bench combo mentioned earlier.
We are pleased that this dumbbell set is good enough to be one of our top picks on its own. It’s perfect for anyone who can’t spare any space for a weights bench.
The Merax Adjustable Dial Dumbbell has a well-earned place as a top contender in the category of middle-weight range, given it packs a solid punch when it comes to simple increments and versatility.
The main reason people tend to choose these dial dumbbells instead of metal plates is because of their revolutionary dial system.
Some of the most frequent complaints of other types of adjustable dumbbells are the time it takes to add and remove plates and the clinking. Over time, the screw caps and clips that come with most adjustable dumbbells tend to loosen, forcing the user to spend extra cash replacing them.
The Merax Adjustable Dial Dumbell removes this problem and facilitates the entire user experience. This set promotes both exercise adherence and equipment longevity.
Merax Deluxe 71.5 Pounds Adjustable Dial Dumbbell Pros
- Fast transitions: These dumbells have by far the quickest changes when compared to any other adjustable dumbbell combination.
- Versatile uses: The dumbbells are suitable for many types of users, from beginners to more advanced lifters.
- Worldwide two-year warranty: Your investment will have the protection you need if you have a problem with your purchase.
Merax Deluxe 71.5 Pounds Adjustable Dial Dumbbell Cons
- Large design: The large design makes it inconvenient for use in cardio-fitness style exercises.
- Limited storage options: You can’t take dial dumbbells apart, which makes them harder to store.
- Weight adjustments: You can only adjust the weight in 5.5 lb increments.
Best Heavy Weight: Ringstar Starring 105-200 Lbs Adjustable Dumbbells
For those who are serious about adding size and mass to their muscles, the Ringstar Starring 105-200 Adjustable Dumbbells is our top pick. It offers the most possibilities.
Working out at a home gym doesn’t have to mean just doing ab crunches in front of the TV. It can mean serious training too.
Don’t be fooled by the word home and its association with relaxation. With the right equipment, a little motivation, and a lot of grunt work, lifting weights at home can and will make you fit.
This is where the Ringstar Starring 105-200 Adjustable Dumbbells set comes in.
You can combine these weights in a variety of ways with increments of five pounds. You can get up to a maximum of 105 pounds per dumbbell.
Ringstar Starring 105-200 Lbs Adjustable Dumbbells Pros:
- Convenient storage: You can take apart the set for storage or place the weights on the included dumbbell stands.
- Easy set up: You don’t need any tools or instruction manuals.
- High-quality material: This set features high-quality cast iron material.
Ringstar Starring 105-200 Lbs Adjustable Dumbbells Cons
- Noisy plates: This set can be loud because the plates tend to touch each other due to frequent movement and wear and tear.
- Screw caps: These caps can mean longer times between weight increment changes. The caps can also lose tightness over time.
Adjustable vs. Fixed Dumbbells
There are two main types of dumbbells: adjustable and fixed.
Adjustable dumbbells allow the user to customize how much the dumbbell weighs. It adjusts through a combination of plates on a small steel bar or a dial that regulates the amount of weight.
- Easy to store
- Potential to increase and decrease weight using only one bar
- Space saver for multiple users
- Takes longer to change weight increments
- Generally noisier as plates tend to hit each other during lifts.
- Most types depend on screw stoppers and clips, which can lose tightness after long periods of use.
Fixed dumbbells cannot be altered in any way, as they are manufactured and shaped to weigh a determined amount.
- Overall more ergonomic and more comfortable to handle
- Most are available in hex shapes that don’t roll off if placed on the ground
- No time wasted changing weight increments
- Best for HIIT and cardio style classes
- Multiple dumbbells must be bought to have enough variety
- Harder to store
Your health and fitness preferences will help you identify which option is best for you.
Dumbbells Buyer’s Guide
Luckily, dumbbells take up less space than many of these options, but you still need to pick the right one for your needs.
There are many varieties of dumbbells on the market, making it difficult for a buyer to choose between all the options.
To streamline the process, we have compiled some basic considerations and helpful tips to help you find the best option for your needs.
As with every product, a buyer must consider manufacturing materials and potential durability.
The construction of a dumbbell can affect the overall user experience. For example, metal dumbbells will have a different odor compared to dumbbells covered with neoprene or plastic dumbbells.
Here are some things to consider about the construction:
- Metal bars and plates tend to be stronger and last longer, especially if they have a coating. However, metal can scratch flooring or chip tiles. We recommend also investing in good quality mats or at least a thick carpet to prevent damage.
- Rubber or neoprene coating prevents rust. Rust is ugly, unhygienic, and smelly. Another advantage to rubber coating is that it causes less damage to floors (and the product itself) if you drop the dumbbell.
Choose the construction based on your needs.
Some dumbbells have rubber handles while others have neoprene or metal bars.
For either adjustable or fixed dumbbells, you’ll most likely encounter the standard steel bar combinations, which are either smooth or grooved.
Smooth bars feel better on the palms, causing fewer callouses. However, a downside to smooth bars is that they are also harder to grip once the load becomes heavier.
Anyone who has experienced grip fatigue will know just how frustrating it is to be unable to hold a weight before having exhausted the targeted muscle.
Another factor is sweat. Once your palms start to become damp, it can be challenging to hold on to smoother bars. The surface becomes slippery, which is why some athletes use chalk.
Grooved bars have the advantage of making it easier to maintain a stronghold. However, they do also dig into your palms, which can cause some pain and unsightly callouses.
Fixed dumbbells will usually have grooved bars or be covered in rubber or neoprene, although there are exceptions.
If in doubt, we suggest physically trying different types at a sports shop before grabbing an online bargain on Amazon.
How much could you potentially lift?
This is a vital question in choosing the most appropriate dumbbells.
If you are seeking to improve your strength, you should never choose what you can already lift.
A key aspect of strength gain is the ability to progress and overload. You have to imagine your lift potential and then overstate it by a few pounds to be on the safe side.
After all, a set of dumbbells won’t be much use to you if you can already lift the total weight of the most substantial dumbbell combinations with ease.
Here is a simple guide to weight:
- For cardio-based classes and light lifting, fixed dumbbells are helpful because the maximum weight is not a huge concern.
- For those who have enough space for a comprehensive home gym, fixed dumbbells offer the quickest exercise transitions. They also come in more varied sizes and increments.
- For bodybuilding style workouts, a lot of users tend to choose adjustable dumbbells. They provide a higher maximum weight range without the additional space required for fixed dumbbells.
Keep these things in mind when you’re looking at sets of adjustable dumbbells or fixed dumbells.
The cost is often the first thing that most customers look at when browsing. An affordable price tag is an attractive feature.
However, don’t be seduced by a false bargain.
The phrase “you get what you pay for” springs to mind. The cheapest items will often have the lowest quality materials and the least warranty options.
Buyers don’t always have to select the most expensive products on every occasion to ensure superior quality. The key when shopping is to determine the value for money.
Some questions you’ll have to ask yourself relative to price include:
- Will it last a long time?
- Is it produced ethically?
- Does it offer enough variations and increment options for several challenging workouts?
- Are there any hidden/extra costs like shipping, warranty not included, and the stand purchased separately?
- Is it user-friendly enough to be used frequently and consistently, justifying the investment?
All exercise equipment can be bulky, and dumbbells are no exception.
If you’re looking to buy for a home gym, you will need a suitable space to train and store your dumbbells.
Adjustable dumbbells can be superior for storage. These types of equipment can come apart and take up less space than fixed dumbbell sets.
However, some people care about the design and aesthetics of the gym. You can store fixed dumbbells on racks, making the room appear more organized and clutter-free.
Most suppliers have a wide range of racks and stands. These products either come with the dumbbells, or you can buy them separately.
Weight Adjustment and Increment
No one wants to waste valuable training time on lengthy plate changes and ineffective exercise transitions.
One word comes to mind for strength training and exercise: convenience.
Convenience is critical when it comes to adjusting equipment. If you need multiple tools, screwdrivers, an additional person there to show you how, or extra time to load and unload, you’ll lose motivation.
The change methods in order of speed for changing the weight are:
- Fixed dumbbells
- Dial dumbbells
- Plates (secured by clips rather than screw caps)
- Water-filled dumbbells.
There are other advantages to each of these types of adjustment. However, if time is vital for you, choose one with a faster weight selection.
In terms of increments, it is also important to note how much your weight increases once you add a plate. Don’t forget to factor the bar’s weight.
When shopping, you will notice that some sets offer smaller increments per dumbbell or plate. Some have bigger discrepancies.
Which one you choose depends on your purpose for buying the equipment.
Some important points to take into account when deciding on bigger or smaller increments are as follows:
- When performing compound lifts, most people can handle more significant increases and heavy weights.
- Isolation movements require smaller weight increments.
- If you are a seasoned lifter, opt for smaller increments. Your rate of progression will most likely be smaller and slower. As a rule of thumb, beginners progress faster due to being relatively untrained and highly susceptible to strength improvements. Experienced lifters and athletes usually make smaller gains over a more extended time.
Choosing the best fitness dumbbells for your home gym isn’t always easy, but it will be worth it.
Dumbbells provide a range of options for muscle strength and endurance gains than any other fitness equipment. Use this buying guide and top picks to help you find the ones you want.
About the Author
Cristy is a freelance writer interested in a variety of topics from poetry and self-development to fitness, travel, and culture.
As a qualified personal trainer and group fitness instructor, she specializes in Muay Thai kickboxing, resistance training, and running.
Cristy usually achieves most of her daily tasks before the sun is up as a self-confessed extreme morning person.
When she isn’t writing or watching the sunrise, you can find her hanging out by the ocean, exercising, or enjoying a strong caffeine hit. Sometimes she’s doing all of these things simultaneously.
Cristy lives in Australia, where she enjoys long walks on the beach and indulging in the occasional Tim Tam.Read More