The smoothie has found a new home and gotten itself a makeover. The smoothie bowl is all over social media and is the latest trend everyone is obsessing over, taking over Instagram and Pinterest feeds with pics of deliciously smooth goodness.
Smoothie bowls make the perfect summer breakfast. The bowl base is a thick blend of whole foods, such as frozen fruits, veggies and other healthy mixes. Unlike a regular smoothie, a smoothie bowl has a slightly thicker, almost ice-cream-like consistency. Smoothie bowls are more nutrient-dense smoothies, thick enough to eat with a spoon and topped with fruits, nuts, seeds, muesli and/or granola. Once you’ve got the smoothie base covered you can add whichever toppings you desire to make the recipe your own.
A good smoothie bowl is not only scrumptious and healthy, it can also be one of the most beautiful foods to photograph. If you get the right color, garnish and styling combination the results can look alluring. The prettiest photographic bowls even look like edible works of art. The secret behind the perfect Instagram-worthy smoothie bowl pic is creativity, composition and light.
Check out these five smoothie bowl recipes that not only look good but taste great. They are super easy to make at home and will change the way you eat breakfast forever.
5.) Super Green
Try this delicious and nutritious super green smoothie bowl recipe from Taste to kick start the day. You’ll definitely want to get a snap of this picture-perfect bowl.
- 2 peeled, sliced frozen bananas
- 2 kiwifruit, peeled, sliced, plus 1/2 kiwifruit, extra, to garnish
- 60g baby spinach
- 20g chopped kale leaves
- 1 tbsp. almond butter
- 1 tbsp. chia seeds, plus 1/2 teaspoon, extra, to serve
- 2 cups organic almond milk
- 1 tbsp. unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 tbsp. buckinis (activated buckwheat)
- Handfull of mixed berries
- Place the banana, kiwifruit, spinach, kale, almond butter, chia seeds and almond milk in a large blender.
- Blend until thick, creamy and well combined.
- Divide between 2 serving bowls.
- Slice the extra kiwifruit.
- Top the smoothie bowls with sliced kiwifruit, coconut, buckinis, berries and extra chia seeds.