Summer is upon us. Dust off that BBQ and check out these best 5 vegetarian grilling recipes to get your taste buds going.
5.) Halloumi Skewers with Cilantro-Tahini Sauce
Delicious grilled, salty cheese and vegetable skewers by Naturally Ella need we say more!
For the halloumi
- 1 7 or 8 oz package halloumi,
- 1/2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
For the vegetables
- 1 small red onion
- 1 green or red pepper
- 1 to 1 1/2 dozen cherry tomatoes
- 1 small zucchini
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp. sea salt, optional*
For the sauce
- 1/2 cup lightly packed cilantro
- 3 tbsp. tahini
- 1 tbsp. tamari
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- 2 tsp. honey*
- Water, for thinning
For the topping
- Extra cilantro
- Sesame Seeds
- Place 8 wooden skewers in water and let soak for at least an hour.
- Remove halloumi from package and drain of any excess water.
- Cut halloumi into ideally 24 cubes (I started with 12 cubes and cut each in half).
- Lightly toss with1/2 tablespoon olive oil and black pepper, set aside.
- Cut vegetables into pieces roughly the same size at the halloumi.
- Place in a bowl and toss with olive oil, smoked paprika, and garlic powder.
- Let mixture sit* while lighting the grill.
- Once grill is hot and ready, thread a mixture of vegetables and halloumi onto the skewers.
- Thread it onto the skewer is slowly and gently.
- Preheat grill to medium-low (if applicable.)
- Place skewers on clean grill grate and cook, rotating occasionally, until cheese and vegetables are charred.
- Remove from heat and let slightly cool.
- In a food processor or blender, combine ingredients for tahini sauce, pureeing until cilantro is minced.
- Thin with water to reach desired consistency and drizzle over skewers.
- Finish with a sprinkle of fresh cilantro and sesame seeds.
Tip : Marinadethe vegetables up to a day before.
4.) Grilled Veggie Panini
Why not try this yummy panini recipe the next time you have friends over?
- 1 Small Eggplant, thinly sliced
- 1 Zucchini, sliced thinly
- 2 Portobello Mushrooms, cleaned and sliced on a diagonal
- 2 Roasted Bell Peppers (from a jar it’s fine)
- 8 oz of Fresh Mozzarella, thinly sliced
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp. of Balsamic Vinegar
- ¼ cup of Pesto (homemade or store bought)
- 4 Thick Slices of Sourdough Bread
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Preheat a grill pan over medium-high heat.
- Drizzle the eggplant, mushrooms and zucchini with some olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill theveggies for a few minutes on each side on the hot grill pan or until they develop some grill marks and have softened.
- Remove to a plate and drizzle some balsamic vinegar on top, set aside.
- Spread1 tbsp. of pesto on one piece of the bread (the bottom piece) and place a piece of mozzarella on top.
- Start layering your veggies on top of the mozzarella, and top the veggies with one more slice of cheese, put the top bun on.
- Brush both sides of the outside of the bread with a little oil and grill them either on the grill pan or in a panini press until the cheese is fully melted and the outside is nice and crunchy.
3.) Grilled Eggplant with Herbed Quinoa and Cherry Tomatoes
This recipe by A Couple Cooks is fairly easy to prepare, and the smoky taste of the eggplant is a fabulous!
- 1.2 pounds eggplant (1 large or 2 small)
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 5 tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 2 tbsp. fresh dill (one handful)
- 2 tbsp. fresh basil (one handful)
- 2 tbsp. cilantro (one handful)
- 1/2 cup feta cheese crumbles
- 2 tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- Preheat a grill to medium-high
- Make the quinoa
- Cut the eggplant into ¾-inch slices, and generously season them with salt.
- Place the slices in a colander, overlapping as necessary.
- Let stand 15 to 30 minutes, then pat dry with paper towel (this step helps to remove bitterness from the eggplant prior to grilling).
- Liberally brush cut sides of eggplant with olive oil.
- Place on a grill and cook, turning once, until tender, about 4 minutes a side.
- Cut the cherry tomatoes in half.
- Chop 2 tbsp. each of dill, basil, and cilantro.
- When the quinoa is done, mix it together with the tomatoes, herbs, 1/2 cup feta cheese crumbles, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 2 tbsp. white wine vinegar, and 1/2 tsp. kosher salt.
- To serve, place two to three eggplant slices on a plate and spoon herbed quinoa and tomato mixture on top.
2.) Roasted Vegetable Salad Recipe
This is an easy to make, quick to assemble and equally healthy recipe by Ruchi Bharani.
- Red Bell peppers
- Baby Potatoes
- Olive Oil
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Mustard Sauce
- Olive Oil
- In a bowl add all the cut vegetables one by one like red bell peppers, carrots, onions, eggplant, baby potatoes, zucchini and garlic.
- Add olive oil, salt, pepper to the vegetables and give it a toss.
- Cover the baking tray with an aluminum foil and place the vegetables.
- In a pre heated oven, bake them at 180° for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Peal the skin of the garlic and smash them.
- Add the baked vegetables along with cherry tomatoes.
- Add thedressing along with parsley and toss them together.
- Healthy and delicious roasted vegetable salad is ready!
- In a jar, add mustard sauce, honey, vinegar, olive oil, water and oregano.
- Mix them well. Shake them and the dressing is ready.
1.) Grilled Eggplant, Halloumi and Pesto Burgers
This grilled veggie burger recipe from Veggie Belly is great for weekend or holiday grilling.
Makes 4 burgers
- 1 medium eggplant, weighing about 1 lb.
- 3/4 tbsp. olive oil
- 3/4 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1/4th tsp. dry Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper
- 4 oz halloumi cheese
To assemble the grilled eggplant, halloumi and pesto burgers
- 4 medium sized burger buns
- 4 tsp. pesto
- Mayonnaise, according to taste. Optional.
- 2 leaves of lettuce, cut in half
- 1 large tomato, cut into 4 slices
- Cut the eggplant into ½ inch thick rounds, at its widest part.
- Save the remaining eggplant for another dish.
- Place the sliced eggplant in a shallow dish.
- Whisk the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, Italian seasoning salt and pepper together.
- When adding salt, keep in mind that the halloumi is an already salty cheese.
- Pour the whisked ingredients over the eggplant rounds, and toss well to coat.
- Slice the halloumi into ½ inch thick slices.
- Heat a grill on medium-high heat. You can use an outdoor grill or a cast iron stove top grill.
- When the grill is hot, arrange the eggplant slices on the grill, and cook for about 6 minutes on each side or till the eggplant is cooked.
- Then grill the halloumi slices on both sides till golden grill marks appear, about 2 minutes per side.
- If you don’t have a grill, you can cook the eggplant and halloumi in batches on a large skillet.
- You are now ready to assemble the burgers.
- Spread some mayonnaise, if using, on 2 halves of a burger bun.
- Take one half of a bun, and stack the grilled eggplant, halloumi and spread 1 tsp. of pesto.
- Top it with tomato and lettuce.
- Place the other half of the burger bun on top.
- Serve with fries or a chilled cucumber salad tossed with a little olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper.
Which one of these vegetarian grilling recipes do you like best? Tell us in the comments below or share your vegetarian grilling snaps with us on social media, tag @topfivecom and #top5vegetariangrilling.