Treating your skin with vitamin-infused waters, tonics, shots, juices, smoothies and even cocktails is the new way to cleanse. Instead of dieting or depriving yourself of your favorite foods you can add one of these healthy drink recipes to your diet to make sure you get all the nutrients your body needs. Anna Ottoson, author of the popular green beauty book Healthy Drinks claims “A day without a green smoothie is a day lost.”
The benefits of starting off your day with blended whole fruits and vegetables are invaluable to your health. Smoothies are simple to make and so tasty when you’re using the right combination of ingredients. Supplying your body with essential nutrients first thing in the morning gives you clean energy throughout the day. Unlike caffeine the nutrients from a healthy drink will give you an energy boost with no jitters or midday crash.
“You are what you eat, don’t be fast, cheap, easy and fake,” Anna warns. Healthy drinks loaded with vitamins and minerals can help you lose weight naturally. The reason? Your digestion is improved and midday cravings decrease when you get the right fuel in the morning. Try replacing your typical breakfast with a healthy drink instead. You’ll be amazed at how good your skin looks in just one week.
If the thought of shopping for all the produce you need to make these healthy drink recipes for a week sounds daunting, try a service like Daily Harvest. They deliver all the organic frozen ingredients you need for your healthy treats. Shop their smoothies, bowls, soups, parfaits, overnight oats and even superfood lattes.
Cheers to good health!
5.) Green Avocado Drink
- 3/4 cup of spinach
- 1 avocado
- Juice of one lime
- 1 inch piece of peeled fresh ginger
- 1 handful of frozen mango
- Splash of orange juice
- Water, add as desired to get a consistency you like
- Blend everything to a smooth consistency and enjoy!
2. For more recipes from, Healthy Drinks, buy the book here.
4.) Golden Milk Smoothie
Here’s another drink recipe from The Happy Healthy Blog. This is a delicious anti-inflammatory smoothie packed with the healing properties of turmeric. Turmeric helps boost your immune system, ease joint pain and fight free radicals. It also helps boost your mood, sharpen your focus and fight diseases. No wonder this spice is the latest superfood trend. You can also try mixing turmeric with sweetened almond milk over low heat for a delicious turmeric latte.
- 1 ripe frozen banana
- 1.5 cups unsweetened oat milk
- 1/4 cup soaked cashews
- 1 tbsp. ground turmeric
- 2 pitted dates
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp. ground cardamom
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 cup ice
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend on high speed until really smooth.
- Pour smoothie into a glass and enjoy!
3. ) Easy At Home Kombucha Recipe
While the thought of making your own kombucha might sound too involved, it’s actually surprisingly simple! Kombucha is made from water, black or green tea, sugar and a SCOBY. What the heck is aSCOBY you ask? It’s a symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeast. It’s often referred to as “the mother” and is full of probiotics, trace minerals, enzymes and antioxidants that help your body digest and detoxify.
- 1 kombucha SCOBY
- 16 cups filtered water
- 8-10 organic black tea bags (must be caffeinated)
- 1 cup organic turbinado sugar
*You’ll also need a glass jar, a rubber band, and a small piece of fabric or muslin.
- Heat eight cups of water in a large pot over high heat. Add the tea bags and let them steep for half an hour. Once steeped, stir in the sugar until it is completely dissolved. Mix in the remaining water and remove the pot from the stove.
- Once the sweetened tea reaches room temperature, pour it into the glass jar along with the SCOBY.
- Place the fabric over the opening of the jar and seal with a rubber band. Place the jar in a dark room with controlled warm temperature and no direct sunlight.
- Let the kombucha ferment for seven days. After seven days taste the mixture to see if it’s bubbly enough for your liking. If not, let it ferment for a few more days.
- Once the kombucha is fermented, pour into glass jars and store in the refrigerator. Pour out the SCOBY and “baby” SCOBY that were formed and store them with a bit of the kombucha in a lightly sealed jar in the fridge until you want to make a new batch.
2.) Beef Bone Broth
Bone broth is having a serious moment in the wellness world. It’s full of minerals like calcium, magnesium and collagen which give you visibly younger-looking skin and a more restful sleep when consumed regularly. This drink recipe from Epicurious is one of my favorites and makes about 8 servings to get you through the week. Feel free to substitute with your favorite veggies.
- 4 pounds beef bones, preferably a mix of marrow bones and bones with a little meat on them, such as oxtail, short ribs or knuckle bones (cut in half by a butcher)
- 2 medium unpeeled carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 medium leek, end trimmed, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 1 garlic head, halved crosswise
- 2 celery stalks, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp. black peppercorns
- 1 tbsp. cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Place beef bones, carrots, leek, onion and garlic on a roasting pan or rimmed baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes. Toss the contents of the pan and continue to roast until deeply browned, about 20 minutes more.
- Fill a large (at least 6-quart) stockpot with 12 cups of water (preferably filtered). Add celery, bay leaves, peppercorns and vinegar. Scrape the roasted bones and vegetables into the pot along with any juices.
- Cover the pot and bring to a gentle boil. Reduce heat to a very low simmer and cook with lid slightly ajar, skimming foam and excess fat occasionally, for at least 8 but up to 24 hours on the stovetop. (Do not leave on stovetop unattended, simply cool and continue simmering the next day.) The longer you simmer it, the better your broth will be.
- Remove the pot from the heat and let cool slightly. Strain broth using a fine-mesh sieve and discard bones and vegetables. Let continue to cool until barely warm, then refrigerate in smaller containers overnight. Remove solidified fat from the top of the chilled broth.
If you don’t have time to make your own bone broth and live in New York, check out Brodo, where you can get a cup of this health elixir to go.
1.) Early Morning Moringa Latte
Moringa is a superfood that is completely caffeine free but will give you an energy boost that rivals your morning coffee. How does it give you noticeable energy within minutes of drinking it without containing any caffeine? By significantly improving your focus and concentration due to all the nutrients found in the moringa leaves. You’ll feel more alert and ready to tackle the day after drinking this healthy latte.
- 1 tbsp. Moringa powder
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla powder
- 1 tsp. maple syrup
- 2 cups oat milk or any other plant or nut milk
- Combine Moringa powder and all the other ingredients in the bottom of a saucepan.
- Heat the milk gently and use a whisk to make it nice and frothy.
- Serve and Enjoy!
You can find this superfood for sale here.
For more healthy food inspiration check out The Top 5 After Yoga Snacks to Rejuvenate Your Body and Mind.