The holidays are all about celebrating with family and friends. Spending time with the people we love, sharing, giving and enjoying each others company. Now the holidays are drawing even closer you’ll need to start thinking about getting that present list sorted and finding the perfect gifts. You may even be thinking about getting that four-legged friend a gift to put under the tree. After all, they are part of the family and are much loved.
Why Buy A Dog Bed?
There’s a huge variety of gifts available out there for dogs but have you thought about getting your furry companion a shiny new dog bed? Winter time is the perfect time to snuggle in a warm bed and get all cozy and that’s also true of our dogs as well. A dog bed can help contribute towards a dog’s health and well-being. A good dog bed can keep your pooch warm during the chilly nights and give them a safe place to recharge. A dog can sleep more than 10 hours a day so having that special place that they can call their own and access at any time is a must.
How to Choose The Ideal Dog Bed?
With so much choice of dog beds out there where do you even begin? There are 3 main factors you need to consider when picking out the ultimate pet bed that is right for you:
Pick a budget and stick to it. However, keep in mind that you don’t want to pay for a cheap quality pet bed that will only end up lasting you a couple of days after your dog has destroyed it. You also don’t want to overpay for an expensive dog bed that your dog doesn’t want or need. Make sure you do your research and compare prices across the market to find the best price for the right dog bed for you.
After all, size is important, right? You don’t want to folk out on a dog bed that just won’t accommodate your sleeping dog. Measure your dog while they are sleeping. There needs to be enough space for them to lay down comfortably after a hard day of running around the park. Add a further 8 to 12 inches to this to help determine the size of your new dog bed. If your dog is still growing you need to take this into account as you may need to purchase a bigger bed in the future.
You need to consider your dogs needs when selecting the right dog bed for them. Watch your dog while they are sleeping (it’s not creepy honest). Does your dog stretch out? Or do they curl up into themselves? Learn from this and buy a dog bed that is ideal for your dog’s needs and requirements.
There Are Many Types of Dog Beds
The round donut style dog beds are perfect for the snuggly sleeper that likes to curl up and relax.
An orthopedic style dog bed will give your furry 4 legged friends all the support and comfort they need to help with any ailments and joint pain of any senior dog.
If you are after a dog bed that is super comfortable than the pillow cushion style pet bed is the top pick for you.
Self-heated dog beds are the way forward. Keep your pooch warm day or night, inside or out with a heated pet bed.
If you are after an elevated pet then the cot style dog bed is the best choice for you. Perfect for any size dog or dog breed the cot style bed will keep your dog elevated off the cold or warm floor and can be used inside or out.
We’ve put together a list of the best dog beds that will help keep your four-legged friends snugly while they sleep:
10.) Best Dog Bed for Puppies
This oval shaped bed will give your pet warmth and a feeling of safety with the security of the walled lip around the edge. The lowered front allows easy access for even the smallest of dogs. And with the added feature of a low wattage heater that will warm those bones, you don’t need to worry about your beautiful fur baby getting cold during the winter months.
Thermo-Snuggly Sleeper Bed Pros
- The lowered front provides unobstructed access for even the tiniest of dogs
- Super-soft removable machine washable cover
- Can be used with or without the heating system
- A dual-thermostat, low-wattage heating unit is buried deep within the super-soft bed and is removable for year-round comfort
- Low wattage (6 watts) and energy efficient making it easy to keep your pet comfortable and warm
Thermo-Snuggly Sleeper Bed Cons
- Higher price tag
- Not big enough for large dogs
- Does not heat all of the cushion
- Not a very effective heating system
“I saw this bed on Chewy for even less than competing sites, and despite some negative reviews decided to give it a try. Like anything else that’s new with a puppy, it took a little time for her to get used to it. We kept the old bed out for a few nights and made the transition slowly. She did bite at it and scratched at the cushion a little at first but she warmed up to it, pun intended. We put a baby blanket on top and she will nuzzle in the bed. It’s obvious that she loves it. The medium is the smallest size they make in this model and there is plenty of room for her to stretch and reposition.”
– GregCheck Price on Chewy
9.) Best Dog Beds for Small Dogs
The Frisco Igloo Bed Cave is for the modern dog that oozes style and sophistication. A den-like sleeping quarter that is a perfect boudoir for smaller dogs that are partial to a snooze or lounge. All the sides have been padded for extra comfort and the bed collapses into an easily storable size and the entire bed is machine washable. Result!
Frisco Igloo Bed Cave Pros
- Surrounds your dog giving them comfort and security
- Ultra-plush-fabric-lined sleeping area and fluffy pillow top cushion
- Perfect for small dog breeds who like to curl up and sleep in a cozy cave
- The cushion is removable and entire bed is machine washable.
- Collapsible bed for easy stow and on-the-go.
- Stylish pattern
Frisco Igloo Bed Cave Cons
- Doesn’t have a cushioned pillow top
- Small interior
- Not heated
- Not recommend for the outdoors
“This little cave is made well, looks great, and is sooooo soft. It was exactly what I thought it would be. One of my dogs was hesitant but I placed him inside and the moment he touched the cushion on the bottom, it looked like he melted. Highly recommend. My two dogs are 4-5 lbs each and they can squeeze in together.”
– MegatronCheck Price on Chewy
8.) Best Dog Bed for Medium Dogs
The Frisco Orthopedic Sherpa Cuddler and Cushion Bed is the perfect height for easy entry, allowing your dog to access it at any time of day be it for a quick 40 winks or a full nights sleep. The stylish fabric and color combination make it a great addition to most home decor schemes and it will compliment any room it is placed in.
Frisco Orthopedic Sherpa Cuddler and Cushion Bed Pros
- Extremely comfortable and soft
- Removable cushion
- The convoluted foam base provides orthopedic memory foam support
- Fluffy bolster edges act as a headrest for the dog
- Machine washable for easy cleaning and care
- Stylish design
Frisco Orthopedic Sherpa Cuddler and Cushion Bed Cons
- Sherpa hard to clean
- Basic pillow no support cushion
- Mid-range of the orthopedic beds
- Not enough support
“This bed is so comfortable and soft. I love that you can take the pillow out. Bought one for a small dogs kennel and one for the kennel of the mid-size dog and both are calmer now in the mornings.”
– AnimalLoverCheck Price on Chewy
7.) Best Dog Bed for Large Dogs
The best dog bed for German Shepherds, Labs and Golden Retreivers. A seriously comfy dog bed that comes fitted with luxury faux fur and velvet for your dog’s sleeping pleasure. A base made from high-quality orthopedic memory foam that will help prevent painful pressure points and cradle the pup while they sleep.
The bed is available in multiple color and size options which allow you to choose the best fit and color for your home.
Furhaven Faux Fur and Velvet Memory Top Sofa Pros
- Multiple color and size options
- High-quality orthopedic memory foam cradles sleeping dogs
- Soft and supportive bolstered edges act as a headrest
- Easy to spot clean due to poly-canvas material
- Removable zipper cover is 100% machine washable
Furhaven Faux Fur and Velvet Memory Top Sofa Cons
- Thin Fabric
- Unable to withstand active dogs
- Unsupportive orthopedic memory foam
- Exposed zippers
“At the same price and dimensions, I was debating whether to buy the prettier black diamond pattern one (of another brand), or this one (dark green less pretty), and I ended up buying this one due to its weight. I was afraid it would be too small even though it is the largest size they offer, but our baby boy (2yo) fits perfectly! The mattress also offers better support than I expected! Firm enough and quite heavy.”
– DragontoyCheck Price on Chewy
6.) Best Dog Beds for Kennels
The Lectro-Soft Outdoor Bed is fitted with a thermostatically controlled heater that can be adjusted to a dog’s normal body temperature. It is one of the best dog beds available on the market that is made specifically for the outdoors. A bed that can be used in an outdoor shelter, dog house, shed, garage or barn. Not only will it keep your dog all snugly and warm outdoors it can be used indoors for maximum comfort.
Lectro-Soft Outdoor Heated Bed Pros
- Water-resistant PVC that stands up to outdoor elements and dries quickly
- Great for dog houses, porches, garages, barns
- Thermostatically controlled to warm to your pet’s normal body temperature
- Machine washable fleece removable cover
- Features a 5.5-foot steel-wrapped cord and is MET listed for safety
Lectro-Soft Outdoor Heated Bed Cons
- Not recommended for destructive dogs
- Heating system not very hot
- Not a soft and comforting dog bed
“I sent this to my son who owns a beagle and she an outside dog. He said she is very happy and warm. He told me when it’s dark she goes is her house and stays until morning when she comes out to be fed. She is a happy pup.”
– SonnyCheck Price on Chewy
Ok, are you a little jealous at this point of how comfy these dog beds look? Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered with the best mattress reviews so you can get your own mattress upgrade when fido gets his!check out *human* mattresses!
5.) Best Chew Proof Dog Bed
This elevated cot-bed features a pillow top to ensure that your four-legged friend experiences ultimate comfort while sleeping. A great dog bed for keeping your dog off the hot or cold floor, creating the perfect temperature for sleeping and dreaming of running in parks and chasing sticks. And the bed is easy to assemble without the need for tools and hard to understand instructions. After all, no one enjoys trying to put together a piece of furniture while reading an over-complicated set of instructions!
Comfy Dog Cot Pros
- The pillow top is included for superior comfort
- Raised dog bed provides a comfortable sleeping temperature by keeping dogs off the hot or cold floor
- Non-skid rubber feet prevent the bed from sliding
- Easily to assemble
- Can withhold the weight of any of the dog breeds
Comfy Dog Cot Cons
- Not heated
- Metal legs can scratch flooring
- Mesh fabric is thin
“This lil cot is SO sturdy, easy to clean, and the pad is very soft and comfy. My mini dachshund loves it! Very easy to assemble, simply push frame and legs together, no tools required. Pad has flaps that wrap around the frame and heavy-duty velcro patches secure it in place on the underside; there is no sagging whatsoever of the cot. I am extremely selective when it comes to my pet care items and this has DEFINITELY been a great investment.”
– NikiCheck Price on Chewy
4.) Best Value Dog Bed
A stylish and cozy bed that is a great price and eco-friendly. This Hooded Lounge Sleeper Bed has been filled with premium poly-fil made from recycled bottles. Your dog can have a private place to rest and feel secure with the addition of the hood. The hood is also removable for washing or if you wish to convert the bed to a lounge sleeper.
K&H Pet Products Hooded Lounge Sleeper Pet Bed Cons Pros
- The dog is made to feel private and a secure
- Eco-friendly, this bed features fill made from recycled plastic bottles.
- Hood can be removed and converted to a lounge sleeper
- Pillow top unzips from the bed making it machine washable
K&H Pet Products Hooded Lounge Sleeper Pet Bed Cons
- Hood can fall down
- Not heated
- Can have a chemical smell
“I purchased the bed for one of my dogs who is a leaner and curls up like a cat when he sleeps. He’s unfortunately not a fan of the very expensive Jax and Bones bed that I had got him previously. But he loves this bed! It’s soft and snuggly and makes him feel safe in it. I particularly like the cover that stands up nicely, so there’s plenty of room for the dog to stand and move around. It’s so comfy that my other dog sometimes wants to sleep in it as well. It can hold two dogs (both 14 lbs).”
– Jenny711Check Price on Chewy
3.) Best Memory Foam Dog Bed
Available in small, medium and large this super comfy bed is one of the best dog beds out there and oozes cushion-y goodness. As a pet owner, you’ll sleep well at night knowing that your dog will be snug as a bug and supported by 5 inches of medical grade orthopedic foam.
Superior Orthopedic Dog Bed Pros
- Provides cushiony support and comfort
- 5 full inches of medical grade orthopedic memory foam
- Perfect for dogs that need extra support for their joints
- Machine washable with removable cover
- Adorable paw print and chew bone design
Superior Orthopedic Dog Bed Cons
- Not heated
- Thin Fabric
- Exposed zippers
“My dog is 10 years old with arthritis in his legs and was not comfortable in his old bed. He used to roam from bed to bed to try to get comfortable (we had 3 beds) but would limp when he got up. With our new bed, he has stopped the roaming and does not limp anymore when he awakes.”
– LindaCheck Price on Chewy
2.) Best Washable Dog Bed
The perfect dog bed for the environmentally conscious pet owner. The Bamboo Lounge Bed has been made with an eco-friendly filler made up of 100% post-consumer certified-safe recycled plastic bottles. A unique, colorful and fun dog bed that has been carefully hand-sewn to make any furry friend feel extra special. The removeable cover makes it so easy to wash.
This pooch seems to be enjoying it, I mean look at his little face!
P.L.A.Y. Pet Lifestyle and You Bamboo Lounge Bed Pros
- Removable cover and filler for easy washing
- Design by SF local artist Alicia Pompei
- Features furniture grade ultra-soft velvet material
- Carefully hand sewn with care for your favorite furry friend.
- Eco-friendly PlanetFill filler is made from 100% post-consumer certified-safe recycled plastic bottles
P.L.A.Y. Pet Lifestyle and You Bamboo Lounge Bed Cons
- Not heated
- Not recommended for dogs that like to chew
“My puppy absolutely loves her Pet PLAY SF bed. We got her the medium size, which at 10 lbs seems too large, but she likes to stretch out on her side when she sleeps. She is very attached to her bed, so thank you for a wonderful product! Fabrication quality: excellent Fabric: beautiful, washable, durable Colors: just perfect shade of blue.”
– KleeKaiComoCheck Price on Chewy
1.) Best Outdoor Dog Bed
After a long walk on the beach or a playful run around in the garden, your dog will be thrilled and elated to curl up and drift off to the land of Nod on this Framed Elevated Bed. The ideal resting spot for your dog, which can be used both indoor and outdoors.
Frisco Steel-Framed Elevated Pet Bed Pros
- Sturdy, powder-coated steel frame
- PVC-coated fabric sleeping surface made to last
- Tight, breathable fabric provides comfort and support
- Keeps cool while your dog sleeps
- Won’t sag after extended use
- Ultra comfortable bed ideal for outside
- Skid-resistant feet for extra stability during movement
Frisco Steel-Framed Elevated Pet Bed Cons
- Not heated
- Plastic insert inside of rails is flimsy
- Material is thin
“We had an all-weather bed for our pups that we kept outside since they love their backyard. Eventually, it got torn to shreds and it had to be thrown away. The poor, miserable dogs spent a few terrible weeks with no bed in the backyard while we decided what to replace it with. I am so glad I settled on this bed! My husky- the bed hog- loves laying outside on this bed. It is breezy and cool when the weather is warm, and we stacked a nice fluffy blanket on it for when the weather is cool. I think we will purchase another one soon, and it is so nice to know that we can easily just replace the fabric part if it breaks down without having to replace the entire frame.”
– HippieHuskyPackCheck Price on Chewy
Which of this collection of best dog beds is your favorite? Let us know on social media, just tag @topfivecome, and #top5dogbeds.