The 5 Best Blenders for Smoothies to Buy in 2019
If you like to be healthy and put your kitchen appliances to use, have you considered getting one of the best blenders?
A good blender is the MVP in many kitchens. Whether you use it every day to make a healthy concoction or keep it whirling during a backyard BBQ to make classic frozen margaritas, having a high-quality blender comes in handy.
Blenders turn tough ingredients like frozen fruit and veggies, ice cubes, leafy greens, grains, and even nuts into a silky smooth puree.
Here are our top picks of the 5 best blenders on the market.
#3 Ninja Intelli-Sense CT682SP Kitchen System Blender
With 1200 watts of power, the Ninja Intelli-Sense CT682SP Kitchen System is one of the best performing blenders on the market. Features include:
- 12 chef-designed programs
- 4 container attachments
- Spiralizer kit with 4 blade options
#4 Blendtec Designer 625 Blender
Looking for a powerful blender capable of crushing even the toughest ingredients? The Blendtec Designer 625 Blender is one of the best performing blenders when it comes to strength and power output. Features include:
- 6-stage speed slider and pulse button
- Ability to crush ice to soft, fluffy perfection in under 30 seconds
- Over 1700 watts of power
#5 Ninja Professional NJ600 Blender
If you know you’ll only be using your new blender for making smoothies, the Ninja Professional NJ600 Blender is for you. Features include:
- 9-cup BPA-free plastic jar that is dishwasher safe
- Powerful motor
- Sleek, attractive design
Editors' Choice: Ninja Professional NJ600 Blender
Consider the Ninja Professional NJ600 blender if you know you’ll only be using your new blender for making morning smoothies.
It’s arguably the best blender for making smoothies, but it isn’t the best choice when it comes to smoothing nut butter or blending hot soups.
It features 1,000 watts of power and a stainless steel blade that make crushing ice, frozen fruits and veggies a breeze. It’s perfect for whipping up green smoothies in the morning or post workout.
Ninja Professional NJ600 Blender Pros
- Plastic jar: This blender comes with a nine-cup, BPA-free plastic jar that is dishwasher safe.
- Smoothie options: This smoothie maker is excellent at blending ice, fruits, vegetables, processed foods like yogurt, and other smoothie ingredients into a delicious treat.
Ninja Professional NJ600 Blender Cons
- Only one jar: This blender doesn’t come with additional jars in different sizes.
- Weaker blender: This option is not well-suited for blending hot soups or nut butter. It has only 1,000 watts of power.
Best Value: NutriBullet Rx Blender
The Nutribullet Rx is the best blender for smoothies, shakes, and more if you’re looking for a personal, single serving size.
This small but powerful single serve blender has 1700 watts of power and is capable of blending hot soups, smoothies, and nut butter.
NutriBullet RX Pros
- 1700 watts of power: This blender has enough power for most of your needs.
- Hands-free smart technology: This tech makes it easy to switch between blending functions.
- Three blender jars: This blender has a 30 oz. short ring cup, a 40 oz. jar with a pouring spout, and a souper blast pitcher.
NutriBullet RX Cons
- Limited functions: It doesn’t include added features like a spiralizer or dough kneading blades.
- Small size: This blender isn’t suitable for blending large volumes.
Best Power Output: Blendtec Designer 625 Blender
Looking for a powerful blender capable of crushing even the toughest ingredients?
Blendtec is one of the best-performing blenders when it comes to strength and power output. The Blendtec Designer 625 is a personal blender with professional blending power.
A three-horsepower motor spins at 300 mph to deliver over 1700 watts of power. It can crush ice and do everything else you want to do.
Blendtec Designer 625 Blender Pros
- Easy use: The six-stage speed slider and pulse button are simple to use and understand.
- Ice crusher: This appliance can crush ice to soft, fluffy perfection in under 30 seconds.
- Powerful blender: This option has the best power output of our top picks.
Blendtec Designer 625 Blender Cons
- No spout: The wide glass jar doesn’t include a spout for easy pouring.
- No tamper: The lid doesn’t include a tamper to help mix ingredients while blending.
Ninja Intelli-Sense CT682SP Kitchen System Blender
If you want a blender that’s capable of whipping up a lot more than green smoothies, consider buying the Ninja Intelli-Sense CT682SP Kitchen System Blender.
This multi-functional blender includes a high tech base, 72 oz pitcher, 64 oz precision processor bowl, 24 oz slim bullet cup, and an auto spiralizer kit. The spiralizer kit includes an angel hair blade, fettuccini blade, pappardelle blade, ribbon blade, and spaghetti blade.
The base is of this personal blender is made with intelli-sense technology that automatically adjusts to the attachment you use, making it easy to switch between blending, food processing, and spiralizing.
With 1200 watts of power and 12 different chef designed programs, it’s one of the best performing blenders on the market. It capable of blending, chopping, mixing, extracting, and kneading dough.
Ninja Intelli-Sense Kitchen System Pros
- 12 chef-designed programs: These programs make it simple to do whatever you need to with your appliance.
- Attachments included: This set has four container attachments and a spiralizer kit with four blade options.
Ninja Intelli-Sense Kitchen System Cons
- Cleaning and maintenance: This system needs more care than other blenders.
- Many parts: The attachments are nice, but it means you’ll need to store them somewhere.
Best Warranty: Oster Versa Pro Performance Blender
If you’d like a blender that’s under $200 but performs like a $400 one, try the Oster Versa Pro Performance.
It’s one of the best blenders on the market and will last you a lifetime. It has 1,400 watts of power that’s capable of getting your nut butter smooth without splattering all over the place and quickly blends those frozen margaritas.
This full-size blender is easy to store and not an eyesore on your kitchen counter or in your kitchen cabinets if you’d rather leave it out.
Oster Versa Pro Performance Blender Pros
- 8-cup BPA free plastic jar: The jar is big enough for most purposes.
- Easy dial control: You can adjust speeds simply.
- Electronic pre-programmed control settings: The controls make working in the kitchen simple.
- Manufacturer’s warranty: This blender has a 7-10 year guarantee.
Oster Versa Pro Performance Blender Cons
- No extra functions: This kitchen appliance doesn’t include additional functions like vegetable spiralizer or dough kneader.
- One cup: The blender only comes with one jar attachment.
Types of Blenders
Blenders come in lots of varieties. To pick out the best one for your needs, you need to know what types of blenders are available.
Here’s a quick breakdown of the different types of blenders and what each is made to do.
A high-performance blender is a premium blender made with commercial-grade quality for personal at-home use. It’s one of the items professional chefs say you must have in your kitchen.
These blenders are usually the most expensive and offer the most horsepower. While the price tag could be anywhere in the range of $300-1000, they’re likely to last a lifetime and come with better warranties.
High-performance blenders are capable of:
- Crushing ice
- Making smoothies
- Pureeing hot soup
- Smoothing nut butter with ease
Premium blenders are more about strength, blade precision, and horsepower than functions and intuitive controls.
High performance doesn’t always mean more functions. Look at the models you’re interested in to find out what they offer.
Conventional blenders, or classic blenders, are capable of making smoothies, milkshakes, and purees. However, they sometimes struggle with smoothing nut butter. They also aren’t able to blend hot soups.
They have less horsepower than high-performance blenders and are for simpler blending tasks.
If you’re looking for a smoothie blender, a conventional blender will work fine.
An immersion blender is a handy blending tool used mostly for pureeing hot soups. Instead of transferring the soup to a standing blender and then pouring it back into the pot, an immersion blender allows you to blend directly in the pot you’re already cooking with.
Immersion blenders are more of an accessory than a fully functioning blender.
While they’re also capable of making smoothies and shakes, they aren’t ideal.
A conventional, high-performance or personal countertop blender are better choices for making green smoothies and shakes.
The NurtiBullet is a perfect example of a personal smoothie blender. These smaller blenders are excellent for making single servings of smoothies, protein shakes, and milkshakes.
They’re also convenient for making small portions of sauces like pesto, red pepper spreads, and hummus.
These blenders are smaller, but that doesn’t mean they are less powerful. Some personal blenders have more power output than larger conventional models.
Imagine it: the perfect breakfast of a fruit smoothie and fresh waffles straight out of your waffle maker. Or, imagine a warm soup that takes almost no effort to prepare. You can do all of that with a blender.
Buying a blender that’s right for your unique needs can be more complicated than you might think.
Our buying guide goes over the main features blenders offer to help you make the right decision.
The quality of the blade is crucial for blending.
Look for a stainless steel blade. Plastic will wear out quickly.
The most common blade for smoothie blenders is an ice blending blade with four points like the one in the photo above.
Some high-performance blenders like Blendtec use two-point, stainless steel blades. This style can crush ice and ingredients in larger volumes.
You can also buy blenders with different blade attachments. Some multifunction blenders like the Ninja Intelli-Sense CT682SP Kitchen System include blades capable of spiralizing, slicing, dicing, and kneading dough.
Blender jars are usually one of three materials: glass, plastic, and stainless steel.
Glass Blender Jars
Glass jars don’t scratch as easily as plastic, but they will crack if you drop them.
Most high-performance smoothie blenders come with glass jars. They’re easy to clean, absorb fewer odors, and let you see what you’re blending.
Metal Blender Jars
While not as popular as glass or plastic, some blenders come with stainless steel jars.
These blender jars are the most durable. They won’t break or crack if dropped and don’t absorb odors.
The one downside is that you aren’t able to see inside while blending.
Plastic Blender Jars
Plastic jars are the most lightweight, which makes them easy to transport. However, they’re also the most likely to absorb odors and tend to scratch easily.
If you get a plastic blender jar, make sure it’s BPA-free. BPA-free plastic jars will make sure no harmful toxins are leaking into your smoothies and juices while you blend.
Glass and plastic jars are the most common and convenient to use because you have a view of the ingredients while blending. If you can see the ingredients, you can adjust proportions as you go and assist with blending if the lid includes a tamper.
Ease of Cleaning
Picking out a blender that’s easy to clean is critical.
Look for a blender with a base that’s made of chrome, stainless steel, or hard plastic. They’re easy to keep clean by wiping them down after every use.
Glass and BPA-free plastic blender jars are the most convenient to clean because they’re dishwasher friendly.
Most blender jars allow you to unscrew the blade from the bottom of the jars so you can wash them separately.
Look for blades that come with 2-4 prongs so that you can easily get leftover food and residue out from all the nooks and crannies.
An easy way to clean your blender jar besides popping it in the dishwasher is to pour warm water and a splash of dish detergent into it and then blend. This helps break up any food stuck to the edges.
Number of Functions
You can find high-tech blenders that come with all kinds of unique functions like spiralizing, kneading dough, and more. However, you might not need all the extra bells and whistles.
Consider the functions available to decide what you want.
A good blender will come with 3-4 different settings. Liquid, puree, and stir are the most important and chop is an added setting that’s convenient to have
Here are explanations of those settings:
- Liquid: This setting turns anything you put in the blender jar into a liquid. It mixes juices and extracts juices from fruits and vegetables.
- Puree: This setting will turn ingredients into a puree or paste-like consistency. Smoothies, baby food, and nut butter are all made with this setting.
- Stir: This setting helps blend liquids quickly and evenly. It’s also a good setting to switch to after using the puree setting when making smoothies or shakes to make sure all the ingredients are evenly stirred after being pureed.
- Chop: This setting finely chops fruits, vegetables, and even meat. It’s great for making pestos and sauces.
Quality blenders also come with a variety of speed controls: low, medium, fast, and whip or pulse.
Some of these functions might be able to replace a food processor if you don’t have enough room on your kitchen counters for a lot of tools or you need to save money between purchasing appliances.
The power output, or motor function, is one of the most important things to consider in a blender.
You want a quality blender that’s capable of crushing ice and emulsifying frozen fruits and veggies for all those delicious green smoothies.
Immersion blenders are your weakest option.
They feature between 200-300 watts of power, making them capable of blending soft ingredients and a limited volume at a time.
Conventional and personal countertop blenders typically feature power output between 500 watts and 1000 watts.
However, you can find some personal blenders, like Nutribullet, with as much as 1800 watts of power. This makes them capable of blending ingredients for smoothies, protein drinks, and milkshakes.
It doesn’t make them strong enough to crush large volumes of ice or other tough ingredients.
High-performance blenders feature power output of 1000 watts and up.
Some premium blenders have close to 2000 watts of power.
This makes them extremely powerful. They’re able to crush ice, smooth nut butter, blend soups, and emulsify tough ingredients.
Because these blenders are so powerful, they’ll cost you more in electricity and are likely to slide around on your countertops while in use.
If you have specific diet plans you’ll need your blender to help you accomplish, pay attention to what level of power you will need to blend your ingredients.
The best blender for smoothies can fall into a wide range of prices. You can find models as cheap as $20 and as expensive as $1,000.
How do you know what price range you should have?
Take into consideration how much you’re willing to spend on a new blender, but also consider the quality of the blender and the warranty. Spending a little more on a high-performance blender can be worth it if you use it every day.
Different kinds of blenders have different prices. Look at the options to see which will suit your budget:
- Premium blenders usually cost between $200-700. They come with the best warranties and have higher quality materials.
- Conventional blenders range in price between $50-$300. While they don’t come with as much power output as high-performance blenders, they will get the job done. Look for a conventional blender around $150 if you want yours to last.
- Personal/Smoothie blenders cost anywhere from $20-$200. Although they’re the smallest model, high-quality ones like Nutribullet are cost-effective and will last a long time.
Size and Capacity
When buying a new blender, consider the size and capacity. The size includes the overall size when the base and blender jar are attached.
Consider how much room you have available for a blender on your kitchen countertops before buying.
The capacity of the blender jar determines how many smoothies you can whip up at once:
- Conventional and high-performance jars come with varying jar sizes between 4-9 cups.
- Personal smoothie blenders have a 2-4 cup capacity.
You wouldn’t want to buy an expensive appliance like a coffee maker or a blender without some kind of guarantee. A warranty will make sure your blender runs smoothly for years.
Most manufacturers offer a limited warranty that ranges from 5-10 years. Lower priced models sometimes come with a warranty that only covers a year.
Here’s a quick look at the warranties offered by the brands we reviewed.
Oster offers the best warranty options on blenders.
While lower priced models only come with a three-year warranty, the more expensive models are covered for the cost of parts and labor for 10 years.
The warranties cover the cost of replacement parts and workmanship due to defects but not damage from misusing the appliance.
Nutribullet offers a free one-year warranty on personal blenders. The guarantee covers repairs and replaces parts due to defects in materials or workmanship.
The warranty doesn’t cover damage caused by normal wear and tear. It also doesn’t cover damage due to misuse or abuse of the appliance.
After the year is over, you can purchase an additional four-year warranty.
Ninja offers a free one-year warranty on all its blenders that covers the cost of repairs and replacement parts. The warranty doesn’t cover wear-and-tear damage, commercial use of the product, or damage caused by transportation.
After the warranty is over, Ninja offers several warranty options you can purchase. You can choose between a two-year, three-year, five-year, or lifetime warranty.
Some warranties are also available with VIP bonuses.
Blendtec offers different warranty coverage depending on the model you buy.
Some premium blenders come with a 10-year warranty. Other, cheaper models include a two-year or three-year warranty. If you buy a new blender jar, the jars also come with a three-year warranty.
A Blendtec warranty includes repairs and replacement parts for damage caused by defects in materials and workmanship. The warranties don’t cover damage due to abuse, misuse, or negligence.
Having one of the best blenders can upgrade the number of things you can do in your kitchen.
Use this buying guide and our top picks to help you decide which one you want to purchase.Read More