Memorial Day Weekend is the unofficial start of summer. Pools begin to open, and most people in the U.S. celebrate the change in season with an old-fashioned American BBQ: hot dogs, hamburgers, chips, salads, and (the best part) delicious Memorial Day desserts.
Memorial Day desserts are different from “regular desserts” because they usually involve some attempt at red, white and blue patriotism. If you’re looking for the perfect dessert to bring to your Memorial Day BBQ that will wow your guests, check out the shortlist below. Not only are they delicious and patriotic, but most of them are pretty easy to make!
5.) Chocolate Drizzled Fruit Kabobs
This Memorial Day dessert is healthy, patriotic, and oh-so-easy to make. If you hate to cook (or, if you’re not very good at it), this is one of the best Memorial Day desserts for you. Thank you, Hummusapien, for sharing this creation with us.
- Prep time: 10 mins
- Cook time: n/a
- Serves: 10
- 2 large bananas, thickly sliced
- 2 cups sliced strawberries, thickly sliced
- ¾ cup blueberries
- ¾ cup raspberries
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ tsp coconut oil
- ¼ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- ⅓ cup roasted salted almonds, finely chopped
- 10-12 wooden skewers
- Slice the bananas and strawberries into thick slices and set aside.
- Place chocolate chips in a small bowl and microwave in increments of 20 seconds, stirring each time. Once melted, stir in coconut oil and set aside.
- Thread fruit onto skewers, leaving a few inches open at the bottom, in the following order: one blueberry, one banana slice, one strawberry slice, one blueberry, and one raspberry. Repeat three times, ending with a blueberry.
- When all skewers are lined with fruit, place on lined baking sheet.
- Using a fork, drizzle skewers with the desired amount of melted chocolate. Chocolate will harden at room temperature due to the coconut oil.
- Sprinkle with desired amount of coconut and almonds.
- Store any leftovers in the fridge or freezer.