Top 5 Fun Backyard Games For the Summer
Studies show that spending time with your family is important. It is a way to build bonds and has many profound benefits. In children, it can build self-esteem, social skills and help them grow their ability to build relationships with both family and friends. Elderly family members may also not like being alone and this extra family time can help them feel less isolated.
This summer take some time out from that busy schedule and spend some quality time with family and friends. Why not head outdoors, heat up that BBQ and play some backyard games? It’s a fantastic way to get everyone working together and get everyone off their seat and away from the screens of technology. Keep fit, have fun and do it together!
Here is a list of the best backyard games for that perfect summers day playing at home or playing in the park.
5.) Kan Jam Ultimate Disc Game
Kan Jam is a fantastic game to play with family and friends and is perfect for all ages. A made to last product that is lightweight, easy to pack and set up so you can take it with you if your traveling. This ultimate version of Kan Jam is a team game for the whole family.
- Price: $ 39.99
- Buy Kan Jam Ultimate Disc Game >
4.) Trademark Global Croquet Set
A convenient to transport game as all pieces can be placed into the provided travel bag. Croquet is easy to play and will provide hours of fun. Simply put the wire hoops in the ground, assign colors and play!
- Price: $55
- Buy Trademark Global Croquet Set >
3.) GoSports Premium Cornhole Set
GoSports Premium Cornhole Set is the official tournament size for authentic gameplay. A superb addition to anyone’s outside game collection. This classic bean bag toss game will entertain you for years to come.
- Price: $121
- Buy GoSports Premium Cornhole Set >
2.) Ring Toss
Feel like you’ve never grown old with this portable ring toss backyard game. It will instantly take you back to your childhood of summer days spent throwing rings on the lawn. Not only will everyone have fun and keep active but your hand-eye coordination will improve while playing this game.
- Price: $13.99
- Buy Ring Toss Set With Carry Bag >
1.) Giant Connect 4 in a Row
Impress friends and family when they come round for summer BBQs with this giant beautifully finished connect 4 in a row game. Kids and adults alike will love this game. Adults will still be up playing connect 4 in a row for hours even after the kids have gone to bed. Forget the classic tabletop version of this game, you need this giant version in your life. Go big or go home!
- Price: $89.99
- Buy Giant Connect 4 in a Row >
DIY Backyard Games
For a summer project with the kids why not make some backyard games yourself? Keep them entertained and save some cash. Result!
Kerplunk is a popular children’s game from the 1960s and it is still just as loved and growing strong today. If you’re after something different for your outside summer party than this giant Kerplunk tutorial is right up your street.
You will need
- 4 (16-inch) 2×4 boards
- 4 (10-inch) 4×4 boards
- 18-gauge wire
- Wire cutter
- Staple gun and staples
- 30-40 bamboo garden stakes
- Ball pit balls
- Screw the 16-inch 2×4 boards together to form a square
- Then screw the 10-inch 4×4 boards to the four corners of the square to make legs.
- Spay paint with the color of your choice and leave to dry.
- Make a tube out of wire netting, and use the 18-gauge wire to hold it in place.
- Place the wire on top of the wooden platform and use the staple gun to secure the tube to the platform.
- Slide the bamboo garden stakes through the openings in the wire tube. Make sure the stakes go all different directions and don’t leave large gaps.
- Fill the top of the tube with the ball pit balls, and the game is ready to play!
More DIY backyard games ideas…
Brit+Co5 put together some great ideas for DIY backyard games for the young and young at heart. Whether it’s backyard games for adults or backyard games for kids, dominos to Jenga they’ve got you covered.
DIY Lawn Matching Game
This DIY project from Studio DIY is simple to make and reusable for pleasure time and time again. It’s an awesome handmade thoughtful gift to bring along to a backyard BBQ!
You will need
- 12×12 inch cork tiles (25 tiles)
- Spray paint
- Printable stencils
- 1 Sheet 12×12 inch cardstock
- X-Acto knife
- Painters tape
- Paper and drop cloth to protect your workspace
- Cover your outdoor, well-ventilated workspace accordingly as this project involves a lot of spray paint.
- Spray all 25 tiles on one side.
- Let dry and do the same to the other side of the tiles.
- While the tiles are drying cut out the stencils using an x-acto knife.
- Align the stencils in the middle of the tile and tape it on. Making sure to cover all of the exposed white space.
- Spray the stencil with the color of your choice. You’ll need to make 2 tiles each of the same symbols except the ‘more than one-time’ symbol.
- For the backs of the stencil. Cut out the lemon-wedge shape stencil several times spaced randomly on the 12×12 cardstock.
- This stencil should match perfectly to the tile so no need to tape here. Then carefully spray each shape with a different color of your choice.
- Let them dry before stacking them up.
- Lay out a 5 tile by 5 tile square.
- If someone flips over the ‘one more time’ time they get a bonus turn and then that tile is removed from play.
Want some more inspiration? Then check out our Pinterest board.
What’s your favorite top backyard game? Tell us in the comments below or share with us on social media, just tag @topfivecom and tag #top5backyardgames.