You’ve realized that single-use plastic water bottles are destroying our planet, killing marine life and negatively affecting your health and it’s time to make a change but you aren’t quite sure what type of reusable water bottle that you should invest in. As there are many different types of water bottles, we are here to help you understand the benefits of each so that you can make the most educated decision. From plastic to insulated to steel, this article will have you covered.
Learn about the different types of water bottles to find the best option for you.
Stainless Steel Water Bottle
A stainless steel water bottle is always a strong choice. Stainless steel is environmentally-friendly as it is one of the easiest materials to recycle. The bottles are designed so that the steel will not rust, making these bottles extremely durable and a great long-term investment. Stainless steel is also non-reactive, so water bottles made of this material will not leach any chemicals into your beverage. This is beneficial if you’re using your reusable water bottle for water, coffee, smoothies, juiceand even soda. Say goodbye to BPA forever!
If you like your cold drinks cold and your hot drinks hot, stainless steel is also a great choice as it can keep your cold beverage cool for up to 24 hours and your hot beverage warm for up to 6 hours. We all know how unpleasant a warm beer tastes. Avoid that issue with these insulated water bottles.
And if you’re looking for a water bottle that’s easy to clean, stainless steel is the way to go. Many of these bottles are dishwasher-safe, so you can clean your water bottle daily.
- Bottles are easy to wash and are normally dishwasher safe, even at high temperatures.
- Stainless steel bottles are BPA and BPS free, making them a healthier option.
- Multiple size and colors are available, so you can easily find different types of water bottles to suit your taste
- Lightweight bottles are easy to carry around and bring on an airplane when you travel.
- Hot drinks can stay hot and cold drinks will stay cold in these bottles.
- Some people say that these bottles can have a mild stainless steel taste.
- These bottles can be dented easily if you drop your bottle.
- Stainless steel is not transparent, so you’ll have to determine how much liquid is left based on weight.
- Paint can sometimes peel off metal bottles.
We believe a stainless steel water bottle is not only the healthiest choice, but these bottles are also winners because they are so easily used during exercise, adventures or daily use.
Glass Water Bottle
A glass water bottle is also a great choice to replace plastic water bottles, but if you’re a clumsy person like I can sometimes be, you’ll have to be a little careful. If you’re worried about breaking your bottle, get a protective sleeve to minimize the risk of breakage.
Many people love glass water bottles because this option keeps your drinks tasting clean and fresh, and no one can argue that glass water bottles don’t look slick and sophisticated. If you’re passionate about the environment and aren’t prone to breaking things, this option may be one of the best for you.
- Glass bottles are a generally healthy choice. They are BPA and BPS-free.
- Glass is also non-permeable so it won’t absorb odor or color.
- Many people believe water tastes best in a glass.
- Glass can be recycled over and over again, making it a very sustainable and earth-friendly material.
- Glass does a decent job of keeping cold drinks cold and hot drinks warm.
- You can easily see how much liquid is left (assuming you are not using a protective cover).
- Glass water bottles can be cleaned in the dishwasher.
- Sometimes holding a glass bottle with liquid that’s too cold or too hot can be unpleasant.
- If you’re clumsy and tend to drop things, you might break your bottle. Many gyms and yoga studios have actually banned glasses bottles due to the danger potential of breaking bottles.
If you do pick a glass water bottle, we strongly recommend buying a protective cover as well. It will help keep the drink comfortable in your hand and will also protect your water bottle from dangerous falls which would otherwise break it.
Copper Water Bottle
Of all the different types of water bottles, copper bottles may be one of the coolest looking options. However, copper bottles do more than just look amazing.
Choosing a copper water bottle as your reusable water bottle is a very interesting choice that many of our ancestors used and can come with some additional surprising health benefits. Research has shown that storing water for up to 16 hours at room temperature in a copper bottle can have antimicrobial effects. Copper can also aid in weight loss, as the chemical copper can help the body break down fat. According to YogaDigest, copper offers strong anti-oxidant and cell forming properties, People also think that copper can help reduce the formation of skin lines because it produces healthy, new skin cells to replace old cells.
Another surprising health benefit of copper is that it can help prevent cancer. Copper has anti-oxidant properties which can neutralize free radicals (which contribute to causing cancer). According to the American Cancer Society, we still don’t know how copper helps, but studies show that copper complexes do have anti-cancer properties.
If you plan on drinking your water out of a copper water bottle, we recommend letting the water sit in the bottle overnight to maximize the health effects.
- Copper has many unique health benefits that other types of water bottles do not offer.
- These water bottles look unique and interesting.
- In order to maximize the benefits of drinking water from a copper bottle, you need to plan ahead and remember to let the water sit overnight. If you typically do not like planning ahead, this could be a challenging routine for you.
- It’s difficult to understand exactly how much copper you’re ingesting (too much of anything can be harmful).
We recommend using a copper water bottle at home. You can drink a bottle when you wake up, refill it, and then drink it again when you come home from work to help maximize the health benefits of water sitting in the bottle for a while.
Plastic Water Bottles
Are you surprised to see us including plastic water bottles on our list? The difference here is that we are referring to reusable plastic water bottles versus single-use plastic water bottles. However, while plastic bottles are recyclable, an estimated 90% of recycled plastic ends up not being recycled.
The good news about reusable plastic water bottles is that many of the bottles today are BPA-free so you won’t have to worry about this harmful chemical leaching into your liquid. However, in lieu of BPA, a new chemical called BPS is being used in its place. This chemical is potentially just as harmful as BPA is. Pretty crazy right? What’s even scarier is that companies do not have to mention whether to not their bottle contains BPS, so while they might claim “BPA-free,” your plastic water bottle could still contain the potentially just-as-harmful replacement, BPS.
Other negative to plastic water bottle is that they do not retain temperature so your cold drink will not stay cool and your hot drink will not stay hot. However, because many plastic water bottles are transparent, you’ll at least be able to see how much of your room-temperature liquid is left.
- A reusable plastic water bottle is better than a single-use plastic bottle.
- Plastic bottles are recyclable in theory.
- Plastic is lightweight and affordable to produce and therefore cheaper to buy.
- Many recycled plastic water bottles end up in the ocean.
- These bottles can have harmful BPA and BPS chemicals.
- Plastic can retain and odor or develop stains if used for anything other than water.
- Plastic does a below-average job of keeping cold water cold and hot water warm.
- These water bottles can sometimes melt if they are used in the dishwasher or you put hot liquid in them.
We recommend looking at any other wonderful types of water bottles. The health and environmental cons far outweigh the pros.
Aluminum Water Bottle
Aluminum sounds like a good choice in the different types of water bottles, but there are some hazards to be aware of. What most people don’t know is that aluminum water bottles are lined with plastic to prevent the aluminum from leaking into the water. If water is exposed to aluminum, it can leak and create an unpleasant taste. Usually, aluminum water bottles are lined with plastic. This means that your aluminum bottle comes with all the hazards of a plastic water bottle: BPA or BPS.
- Aluminum water bottles are significantly lighter than stainless steel, making them more convenient to carry around.
- These bottles come in lots of styles and colors for personalization.
- Aluminum bottles have to be lined, typically with plastic, which can add BPA or BPS into the water.
- Because they’re very light, aluminum bottles are easier to dent than stainless steel.
- Aluminum is not dishwasher safe, so you’ll have to wash your bottle by hand.
Between stainless steel and aluminum, we recommend stainless steel.
While there are many different types of water bottles, some are better than others. What makes one bottle better than others might be style, danger of breaking, environmental concerns or portability. Now that you know about the differences, choose the water bottle that works the best for you, and learn how to clean water bottles in the most efficient way.