Best Anti-Theft Travel Purses in 2020
If you’re concerned about theft while you travel, you’re not alone. That’s why so many travelers invest in one of the best travel purses.
Many of the top destinations around the world have high pickpocketing and theft rates, and the numbers aren’t going down anytime soon.
We can’t control other people, but we can take steps to protect ourselves and our things by getting travel insurance and items like a travel purse.
Travel purses have the technology to deter thieves and pickpockets. These purses often have strategically placed pockets, RFID blocking technology, and slash-proof straps to keep your things safe and thieves out.
An anti-theft travel bag gives you peace of mind and takes the stress out of traveling.
Here are the top 5 best travel purses and everything you need to know before buying one.
#1 Travelon Anti-Theft Classic Messenger Bag
This bag is perfect for the traveler who wants a spacious messenger bag built to hold whatever you need for the road and keep it away from thieves. Features include:
- Removable LED light
- RFID-blocking and slash protection technology
- Water bottle compartment
#2 Pacsafe CitySafe CS100 Anti-Theft Travel Handbag
For shoulder bag lovers, this PacSafe shoulder bag will protect you from thieves with the top anti-theft technology while holding all of the belongings you need. Features include:
- Extremely lightweight material
- Padded iPad or tablet sleeve
- RFID-blocking and slash-guard protection
#3 Baggalini Everywhere Lightweight Crossbody Bag
Baggalini’s ultimate anti-theft crossbody is so lightweight that you won’t even know its there. Features include:
- Long, adjustable strap
- Quick accessible phone pocket
- Water-resistant material to keep your belongings safe
#4 Travelon Anti-Theft Tailored Slim Crossbody Bag
You get style, versatility, and protection all in a beautifully designed anti-theft travel purse. Features include:
- 6 stylish colors
- Rear zip pocket for easy access
- Slash-proof straps and body panel
#5 Travel Anti-Theft Classic Light Convertible Crossbody and Waistpack
This purse is for the minimalist traveler who wants versatility and top anti-theft protection. Features include:
- Convertible option to wear the bag in two ways
- Lockable zippers
- RFID-blocking pockets
Editors' Choice: Travelon Anti-Theft Tailored N/S Slim Crossbody Bag
Our top choice for a travel bag is a sturdy anti-theft bag to take on your next trip.
This slim crossbody from the top brand Travelon merges everything you need in a travel purse. This includes protection, space, and classic style.
The Travelon antitheft signature features will keep your belongings safe.
Travelon Tailored N/S Slim Crossbody Pros
- Five stylish colors: This bag is available in aquamarine, sapphire, onyx, sable, and garnet.
- LED flashlight: The attached LED light makes it easy to find what you’re looking for inside the bag.
- Locking compartments: The zippers lock to the bag. A thief will have a harder time unlocking the bag without you noticing.
- RFID protected slots: This bag features some protected slots for your passport and credit and debit cards.
- Roomy design: While slim, this bag will fit most tablets.
- Secured strap option: The strap can secure to an object like a chair or a post. This prevents someone from grabbing your bag when it isn’t on your body.
- Slash-resistant body and straps: The straps and body have sturdy, lined fabric. A would-be thief won’t be able to cut the straps or cut into your bag to steal your belongings.
Travelon Tailored N/S Slim Crossbody Cons
- Long straps: The straps may be too long for petite bodies.
- Uncomfortable straps: The slash-resistant material makes the strap uncomfortable. It may dig into shoulders on some people.
Best Small Size: Travelon Anti-Theft Classic Light Convertible Crossbody and Waist Pack
Do you want both a waist pack and a crossbody bag?
Kill two birds with one stone with The Travelon Anti-Theft Crossbody and Waist Pack.
This lightweight crossbody bag is perfect for travelers who don’t need tons of space.
If you prefer to travel with only essentials such as a phone, credit cards, and documentation, you’ll love this bag.
Travelon Convertible Crossbody Pros
- Convertible design: You can wear this bag as a small crossbody or a waist pack.
- Fun colors: You can show off your style with this bag. Get it in black, dark berry, dark purple, lush blue, mocha, gray, black and white floral, blue geo tile, blue v-stripes, or black and white strips. You can get exclusive colors from certain retailers.
- Protective pockets: The pockets have zipper locks and RFID protection. The zipped pockets will be difficult for a would-be thief to access.
Travelon Convertible Crossbody Cons
- Limited room: While this bag can fit several items, it could be a tight fit for larger smartphones.
- Waist sizes: People with smaller waists may not be able to get the secure the bag tight enough. These people may have to use it as a crossbody instead of a waist pack.
Best Crossbody Style: Baggallini Everywhere Bag
Baggallini has long been creating great bags for travelers and people on the go.
This Everywhere bag is one of the best on the market. The lightweight material won’t weigh you down, and it has all the anti-theft features you need.
Baggallini Everywhere Pros
- RFID technology: Some pockets come with RFID-blocking technology. Protect your information in the eight card and passport slots.
- Roomy interior: This bag has lots of pockets and interior space. Also, the crossbody construction makes it easy to carry even when it’s full.
- Stylish colors: This bag comes in lots of colors and patterns. Options include apple (red), beach (tan), black, black diamond print, black zebra print, charcoal, directoire blue, eggplant, firework print, juniper, midnight blossom print, Pacific blue, Pacific pop print, pewter floral print, pewter zebra, portobello, and vibrant poppy.
- Quality material: This bag has lightweight, water-resistant material.
Baggallini Everywhere Cons
- Limited RFID pockets: Put your passport and cards in the right pocket to get the RFID protection.
- No zip locks: Zip locks help make it harder for a potential pickpocket to slip in your bag unnoticed. Unfortunately, this bag doesn’t have them.
Best Messenger Style: Travelon Anti-Theft Classic Messenger Bag
Travelon doesn’t disappoint with its variety. This classy, spacious messenger bag is perfect for all your travels.
Need to store books, an iPad, and some snacks for your international trip? No problem.
This classic messenger bag has all the anti-theft technology you need. Plus, it’s small enough to fit under your plane seat.
Travelon Classic Messenger Pros
- Color options: This bag comes in a wide variety of colors and patterns. A few of the color options include black, blue, chocolate, gray, jet black, midnight, nutmeg, navy blue, rock, and beige. Prints come in black and white floral, blue geo tile, blue v-stripes, black and white stripes, blue snake, leopard. A few colored linings are available. Note that some exclusive colors are available only from certain retailers.
- Convertible options: This bag can double as both a shoulder bag and a messenger bag.
- Rear organizer: The organizer has a few RFID-protected slots for debit and credit cards and your passport. It also has a spacious pocket, an LED flashlight, and a pen loop.
- Slash proof material: The slash-proof material will keep your things safe and secure.
- Water bottle compartments: The side compartment is perfect for keeping a water bottle, sunglasses, or umbrella.
Travelon Classic Messenger Cons
- Delicate lining: The lining may come undone when you’re carrying things repeatedly.
- Uncomfortable strap: The strap can be uncomfortable on the shoulder
Best Shoulder Style: Pacsafe CitySafe CS100 Anti-Theft Travel Handbag
Pacsafe, a top travel purse brand, knows how to make a traveling handbag. The CitySafe shoulder bag is both stylish and repels thieves.
With slash guard technology and plenty of space for your favorite things, like an iPad or an eReader, the CitySafe shoulder bag is a top choice.
Pacsafe CitySafe HandBag Pros
- Adjustable strap: You can move this strap to fit any body size.
- Hidden slash guard technology: This security feature prevents anyone from slashing the straps and stealing your purse.
- Padded iPad or tablet sleeve: This sleeve will keep your devices safe from thieves or bumps.
Pacsafe CitySafe Handbag Cons
- Zipper clasps: The clasps can be difficult to open.
Types of Travel Purses
Any travel guide will tell you that bags are essential. Unfortunately, finding travel bags for women can seem overwhelming.
When women travel, they sometimes struggle to find the perfect travel purse. If you’ve traveled with laptop bags, tote bags, or other luggage, you may be surprised at how stylish and useful a travel purse can be.
Luckily, the world of anti-theft travel purses doesn’t limit itself to one style.
There are plenty of choices out there for any travel style.
Get to know the styles so you can pick the type of travel purse you would prefer.
People have long considered crossbody bags as the safest bags for travel. Here are some of the top advantages:
- Adjustable straps: Because the straps are adjustable, crossbody bags work with all kinds of body shapes and sizes.
- Card slots: Many of these bags have specific card and passport slots.
- Easy pocket access: Crossbody bags are probably the most convenient choice for most travelers. This option has an effortless style and easy-to-access pockets (even if you have zipped pockets). When you need something, you can reach down and grab it without taking off the bag.
- Hands-free carrying: The straps of the bag are generally comfortable to wear. They allow you to carry more while keeping your hands free.
- Many sizes: The sizes can vary, so it’s easy to find one you like. You might need a crossbody bucket bag or a smaller option. You’ll be able to find both.
A lightweight crossbody is perfect for travel.
You can access your essentials or take the bag sightseeing. These bags are also excellent at night when you want to keep your belongings nearby but out of your way.
Messenger bags are the best options for people who prioritize space on their travels.
Here are some reasons to consider a messenger bag:
- Adjustable straps: Messenger bags also tend to have longer, adjustable straps. They can be worn on the shoulder or even as a crossbody messenger bag.
- Multiple compartments: Messenger bags tend to have ample space with several pockets and compartments. Most messenger bags can fit the average 13-inch laptop. These bags are perfect for travelers who need to work on the go. The compartments also make it more difficult for thieves to steal things like credit cards and passports.
- Personal item on flights: An anti-theft messenger bag would be a great alternative to a backpack or a carry-on bag. If you can fit all your travel essentials, use a messenger as a personal item.
A good messenger bag gives you both space and versatility while you travel.
Some will even let you convert it to a sling bag.
A classic style of purses that have been around for ages is the shoulder bag.
Here are some of the reasons people love shoulder bags:
- Short strap: A shoulder bag is the best option for someone who wants space and to keep their things close. Shoulder bags tend to have a short strap. This makes the purse sit directly under your armpit. The short strap makes it more difficult to slash or steal it.
- Storage space: Shoulder bags are a common choice for their size. Most styles of shoulder bags come with ample space inside for items fitting up to the size of an iPad. Most shoulder bags also have front pockets and outside pockets for easy access to things like phones or passports.
Shoulder bags come in lots of stylish options. Many people use shoulder bags both at home and during international travels.
5 Things to Look for in a Good Travel Purse
When you pick out a purse, you have a lot to remember.
A great bag is an essential part of your travel gear. The best bag for travel might not have every element of this list. Considering these things will help you find the right bag the first time.
Think about how important each of these factors will be for the trips you have in mind.
Here are the top things to consider when you buy your purse.
If you’re not familiar with the world of anti-theft travel purses, you may not know all the security features that these bags have.
Anti-theft technology has evolved over the years to match the increase of pickpocketing and identity theft.
Look for these safety features in your anti-theft purse.
Slash-Resistant Body and Straps
Thieves have gotten more creative with their methods over the years.
Thieves sometimes cut bag straps to steal it or slash the bag and make off with what’s inside while you’re not paying attention.
Anti-theft travel brands like Travelon and Pacsafe have developed a type of mesh body panel that is anti-slash. The material is usually between the outer body material. It isn’t noticeable and won’t interfere with the style of the bag.
Also look for slash proof straps, which usually have stainless steel or chain running through the straps.
This construction makes it impossible for a thief to cut the purse away from your body.
Perhaps one of the most advanced types of thief technology is RFID readers. These devices can steal your credit card information by scanning your bag.
Most thieves know that your credit cards and passports are sitting in your purses while you’re out and about. A simple swipe of your bag will give them access to all your personal information in seconds.
Top travel purse brands have plenty of options with RFID-blocking technology on the outer pockets.
Look for a travel bag that is RFID protected and has the technology on the specific pockets that you’ll be using for your credit cards and passports.
The amount of space you may need all depends on personal preference. Some people go for an ample amount of space while others prefer a size that is big enough for all of their essentials.
Choose your travel bag size by first deciding what you plan to carry in it:
- Small amount: If you’re going for enough space for your phone, passport and a few essentials, a small crossbody bag will suit your needs.
- Medium amount: If you tend to carry essentials plus a few extra items, you’ll likely be fine with a medium-sized crossbody or shoulder bag.
- Large amount: If you plan to bring big items like books, magazines or tablets, choose a bag that is a messenger, shoulder, or tote bag. A large purse is also ideal for travelers who like to bring toiletries or an extra change of clothes with them.
Also, keep in mind the different kinds of trips you’ll take. If you travel often, consider a bag that will be adaptable to your various adventures.
An anti-theft travel purse may serve multiple purposes, but it’s still an accessory that is an extension of your style.
The perfect travel bag merges comfort, style, and security all in one. Unfortunately, many travel purses can be less than exciting in the style department.
However, many top travel bag brands like Pacsafe and Travelon have bags in tons of colors and styles. Keep looking until you find something that suits you.
When you’re looking at bags, consider patterns, colors, type of purse, possible embellishments, brands, and other things that will help you express yourself.
Do you like a leather crossbody option? You’ll find it.
Do you prefer something with a lot of safety features over style? Those options are out there.
When you buy on Amazon or another website, you can compare the styles you like.
The best purse has all of the space you need for everything. But it can be frustrating when a bag has too much space and not enough pockets for your smaller items.
Instead of searching through piles of your items in the bottom of your bag, choose a bag with easily accessible pockets.
Several types of pockets are common in anti-theft travel bags:
- Inner pockets help you keep your belongings organized. Look for features like organization tools, RFID-blocking credit card slots, and pen slots.
- Outer pockets are great options for quick to grab items like your phone, lipstick, or even a transport card. Make sure your bag comes with sturdy, lockable zippers if you want an exterior pocket. The best place for an external pocket to be is in the back or the part of the bag that is facing your body.
Travel is unpredictable, and memory-making trips can happen in rain or shine. But your belongings shouldn’t be affected by the weather too.
Choosing a bag that has weather resistant or waterproof body panel is essential. Even if you aren’t traveling to a rainy place, spills always happen in planes, buses, and cars. Protect your belongings with water-resistant options inside and out.
All our top picks have water-resistant bodies that you can clean easily.
While you might have known to pay attention to the kind of checked bags you buy, you might not have paid as much attention to your travel purse.
When you travel, one of the best travel purses can help you keep your important belongings close and safe from would-be thieves.
Use this guide and our review to help you pick a great bag for your next trip.Read More