The 5 Best Tower Fans for Your Home in 2019
Do you have one of the best tower fans to keep you cool?
For many, summer means back-to-back months of being uncomfortable, sweaty, and miserable in your home.
Whether you don’t want to run up your bill using the AC or you simply need something to keep you cool during the day, investing in a tower fan could be a lifesaver.
A tower fan can increase your comfort during the hot months, keep you cool while you sleep, and lower steep electricity bills.
See the best tower fans on the market and how to find the right one for you.
#3 Honeywell HYF290B Quietset Whole Room Tower Fan
You won’t even notice this uber-quiet Honeywell tower fan is on. Features include:
- 8 speed settings
- Shut off timer settings
- Quietest tower fan
#4 Honeywell Fresh Breeze Remote Control Tower Fan
Enjoy a cool breeze or cool down your bedroom with this versatile Honeywell tower fan. Features include:
- 3 speed settings
- Auto shut-off and auto on
- Several adjustable programmed settings
Editors' Choice: Dyson AM07 Air Multiplier Tower Fan
There are tons of tower fans to choose from, but our top pick is the Dyson AM07.
The Dyson is an excellent cooling system that circulates cold air in a room quickly, but it also has the most innovative design.
The Dyson AM07 works as an air multiplier by reproducing the air in a room through its bladeless system. This powerful fan can instantly cool off an entire room without oscillating or traditional blades. This feature makes the fan sleek and attractive. It’s also a child- and pet-safe option for your home.
Choose from over ten settings to customize the fan to your liking.
This fan is also one of the more silent fans because it doesn’t have blades.
If you want to splurge on a luxury tower fan that gets the job done, this is one of our top choices.
Dyson AM07 Pros
- Bladeless tower fan system: The innovative bladeless system is safe for pets and children.
- Powerful airflow: This fan creates a powerful constant flow of air that will cool down a room.
- Quiet fan: Due to the bladeless design, this fan is quiet compared to most tower fans.
Dyson AM07 Cons
- High cost: You’re going to have to fork over a couple of hundreds for this one. It’s the most expensive fan on our list, but it’s worth it if you can afford it.
Best Value: Lasko T42950 Wind Curve Tower Fan
The Lasko Wind Curve Tower can rapidly cool off any room.
This fan is our top choice for someone looking for an affordable, stylish, and versatile fan for their home. The unique wood panel design could add a nice touch to any room. You can also choose from three settings and tailor it to your liking.
We chose this tower fan for its spectacular performance and the affordable price.
The Lasko T49250 won’t disappoint.
Lasko T42950 Pros
- Non-slip fan: The fan has an easy-to-grip bottom so that it can fit on several types of floors without slipping.
- Stylish design: This fan has a unique, wood-paneled design that could add some spark to your home decor.
- Top performer: This fan has a simple, easy-to-use design and three settings.
Lasko T42950 Cons
- Limited placement: Because this unit has a short cord, it may be difficult to place this in some spaces.
Best for Bedrooms: Honeywell Fresh Breeze Tower Fan
Feel a refreshing breeze in your bedroom with this top-rated tower fan from Honeywell.
The specs on this tower fan make it the perfect addition for your bedroom. You don’t need to worry about falling asleep with this unit. All of its settings are extremely quiet.
The Honeywell Fresh Breeze gives you the convenience of a programmable thermostat so you can fall asleep and not worry about turning off your fan in the middle of the night.
You also have the ease of using the remote control from your bed so that you can stay tucked in and comfortable.
Honeywell Fresh Breeze Pros
- Breeze mode: The breeze mode airflow settings makes you feel like you’re experiencing a light breeze in your room.
- Easy to use design: Control the fan settings with the remote from anywhere in the room.
- Programmable thermostat: Three settings and auto shut-off makes it so you can sleep in peace.
Honeywell Fresh Breeze Cons
- Small design: Some may find this fan too small.
Best for Living Rooms: Vornado 184 Whole Room Tower Fan
To cool off an open space like a living room, you’ll need a fan that is big and powerful enough to circulate the cold air. The Vornado is the best choice for the job because of it’s towering design and airflow technology.
The fan has contoured blades that allow the air to reach a wide area without oscillating. The V-circulation technology means that the fan circulates the air in the entire room, keeping it at a comfortable temperature.
You also can choose from four settings, and there are four timer settings, so you don’t have to turn it off manually.
Vornado 184 Tower Fan Pros
- Energy-efficient design: The timer settings help you save energy with the auto shut-off feature.
- Wide span circulation: The fans V-circulation technology fills an entire room with cool air.
Vornado 184 Tower Fan Cons
- Difficult to clean: Many users reported the fan was difficult to clean.
Quietest Tower Fan: Honeywell HYF290B Quietset Whole Room Tower
No one wants a fan that is so loud that it’s distracting. A quiet tower fan can help you stay both cool and relaxed.
Honeywell has created a tower fan that is so incredibly quiet it’s hard to know that it’s on. Compared to all of the other models, the QuietSet feature on this Honeywell fan proved to be silent even on the highest settings.
In addition to that, the fan does an excellent job of circulating the air in a room so that you can stay comfortable and cool.
Honeywell HYF290B Pros
- Large area cooling: The fans oscillating features allow it to cool off a large area.
- Silent fan: This fan is the quietest out of all of them.
Honeywell HYF290B Cons
- LED panel: The LED panel is so bright that it could be disturbing. It may be best to cover it up if you are trying to sleep.
Tower Fan Buyer’s Guide
Tower fans may all look the same, but they have different features that separate them.
When you’re looking for a tower fan, you should keep the features you want in mind so that you can find the right one for your needs.
Our buying guide goes over these features to help you make an informed buying decision.
Air Blowing Capacity
Air blowing capacity is essential with tower fans. Your fan needs motor power and the ability to blow a lot of air.
The air blowing capacity you need depends on how big the room is you’re trying to cool.
If you’re using the fan for a small office, a smaller size would be sufficient. However, if you’re trying to circulate air in a big living room, you’ll need a more powerful unit.
Building Quality and Design
Your new tower fan should last you f0r years.
The durability of tower fans depends on:
- Design quality
Because tower fans are tall and slim, they tend to be more unstable. Some cheaper, lower quality fans will be wobbly and won’t hold up against pets, kids, or accidents.
Small movements will cause the unit to fall over, which could cause damage to your fan.
To prevent this, get a fan that is made with anti-slip feet so that it can remain stable on multiple surfaces.
Lastly, tower fans tend to have a certain aesthetic to them. Manufacturers know that people want their household appliances and gadgets to match the decor of their home.
Designs like the Dyson AM07 or even the Lasko are popular among the design-conscious.
How do you tell if a tower fan has adequate air blowing capacity and coverage?
Unfortunately, it’s hard to tell by just looking at it.
Start by reading our reviews and user reviews to see what type of coverage a fan may have.
Typically, the smaller and shorter the fan is, the less coverage it will have. But sometimes a smaller unit will surprise you, like the Honeywell Fresh Breeze Tower, which is small but has a lot of coverage.
Some people invest in tower fans to save energy on central AC units or other cooling units.
If this is the case, make sure your tower fan has energy-efficient modes. A fan that is energy efficient usually has a timer or a programmable setting that will use a minimal amount of energy.
The pre-programmed timed setting is eco-friendly because it turns off the fan after an allotted amount of time.
Another way to be energy efficient with your fan is to use it on a lower setting so that you’re consuming less energy overall.
Fan Speed and Modes
Tower fans usually offer different speed settings.
A tower fan usually has at least three settings: low, medium, and high.
From there, a fan can have up to 10 different speeds depending on the model. These settings are useful for adjusting the strength of air you want circulating in a room.
There is a difference between fan speed and modes, however. Some fans come with different speed and mode settings.
A mode setting may be a preprogrammed setting, like a night mode or a breeze mode like Honeywell’s Fresh Breeze has. The breeze mode emits a constant, low-pressure airflow that is reminiscent of an outdoor breeze.
When it comes to features, the options are endless and always expanding. However, there are some non-negotiable features that you should look for to get the utmost out of your tower fan.
Here are typical features.
The LCD on a unit is where you’re able to choose the temperature, switch speeds and modes, and use all of the other features.
Check how bright the digital display is, especially if you’re using the tower fan in your bedroom.
Some fans have extremely bright LCD lights that could be disturbing at night.
Oscillation and Angling
The oscillating and angling features refer to the way the air distributes throughout the room.
Some fans have oscillating louvers, which circulate the air in different directions. Oscillation usually increases comfort by circulating the air throughout the entire room instead of in one, direct line.
A fan can also have angled louvers instead of oscillated louvers. In this case, the fans louvers are angled so that the air flow goes in different directions without oscillating.
The type that you choose is a matter of preference.
Believe it or not, some tower fans still come without remotes. We strongly encourage you to choose a fan with one.
Being able to control the fan from wherever you are is a huge advantage, especially when you’re snuggled up in bed or on the couch.
From the remote, you should be able to change the settings, modes, and speeds easily. There should also be an easy place to store the remote, so you’re less likely to lose it.
Some models have a magnetic remote that goes on the top of the fan.
Besides the energy saving benefits, timers make a huge difference in the tower fan user experience. They can automatically shut off the fan or turn it on.
There are two types of timer settings: time-on and time-off:
- The time-off will automatically turn off your fan for you after a set amount of time. This is perfect for when you’re sleeping, running an errand, or if you forget to turn off your fan.
- The time-on feature helps when you want to come home to a cool house or room. You can program when you want to your fan to come on so that you don’t have to wait for a room to cool down when you get there.
These features can help you save energy and stay comfortable.
Even if a fan has excellent coverage and air blowing capacity, it will be a nuisance if it’s loud when turned on.
Whether you’re in the living room or in the bedroom, you don’t want to get a fan that is too loud.
Most fans claim to be quiet or silent, but some are better than others.
Some tower fans are quiet only on their low settings, which means you’d only be able to sleep with it on a lower setting.
If you plan to sleep or work with a tower fan in the room, a fan with a quiet setting should be a top priority. Check the reviews before you buy on Amazon or another place with available reviews to see what users say about the noise levels.
Like we’ve said, size matters when it comes to finding a tower fan.
You should consider the size of not only the fan itself but also the room. The size of the room determines what size fan you need:
- If you’ll use your tower fan in multiple large spaces with high ceilings, get a taller fan. Taller fans will be able to oscillate the air to fill up the more open, vast spaces.
- If you’re using your fan in a bedroom or an office, you could opt for a smaller fan that will work effectively while not taking up too much space. There is an entire subcategory of short tower fans specifically designed for compact spaces like offices or smaller bedrooms. Some people use table fans, but a tower fan will cool the space more efficiently.
Most manufacturers have multiple versions of the same model. For example, the Vornado 184 Tower is available in shorter sizes if you prefer that.
Generally speaking, a medium-large sized fan will give you the most versatility.
Check the warranty that a manufacturer offers on any product.
Accidents and malfunctions happen, and it’s a huge disappointment when you aren’t able to get support from the manufacturer of the product.
A general rule of thumb is to look for a warranty of at least 1+ years. Longer warranties are better.
One of the best tower fans can help keep you comfortable no matter how hot it is outside.
Use our top picks and this buying guide to help you make the right choice for your home.Read More