The 5 Best Travel Toiletry Bags in 2019
#1 Sephora Collection Pack It All Organizer
Looking for a large toiletry bag with storage compartments? Check out Sephora’s Pack It All Organizer. Constructed of soft materials, it measures 7 1/2″ H x 9.75″ L x 5″ Hand comes with two removable zippered packing cubes plus a flat cosmetics pouch. If you’re a makeup aficionado, you can’t go wrong with this bag.
- Compartments: Bag comes with two small storage cubes and one inside pouch so you can keep your products organized and protected.
- Materials: Bag is comprised of a soft outer shell that’s strong enough to protect what’s inside. Inserts are lined with plastic to help contain any unfortunate spills.
- Sephora Palette Approved: Have a Sephora lip or eye shadow palette? This bag is large enough to store one or both.
#2 Mossio Hanging Toiletry Bag
We love hanging toiletry bags as they keep us organized, and Mossio’s hanging toiletry bag is our favorite. Measuring 9.45″L x 7.48″ W x 3.74″ H, it has three main interior compartments, as well as outside pockets for extra storage and easy access when the bag is closed.
- TSA-approved: TSA won’t be a problem with this toiletry bag
- Price: Bag is affordably priced
- Durability: This toiletry bag is constructed of tough, water-resistant, polyester fabric and antimicrobial mesh. Plus if you spill, it’s easy to clean.
#3 Keokee Clear Toiletry Bag Set
If you’re looking for a high-quality, reasonably-priced, transparent toiletry bag, check out the Keokee Clear Toiletry Bag Set. Two bags come in the set: one larger, TSA-approved bag and one smaller TSA-approved bag.
- Price: Set costs less than what you’d spend at Starbucks in one week
- TSA-Approved: The larger bag is TSA compliant for 3-1-1 liquids, and the smaller bag is TSA approved as well
- Easy to Clean: If your liquids should unfortunately spill, cleanup is a sinch
#4 HalVo Transparent Toiletry Bag
If you are willing to spend a little cash on a toiletry bag but don’t want to break the bank, check out the HaloVa Transparent Toiletry Bag. It’s not only cheap, but it’s clear, so you can see what you’ve packed.
- Size: Medium sized toiletry bag measuring 9.4″ x 3.3″ x 7.9″
- Clear: The bag is transparent so you can easily see what’s inside (as well as easily clean any spills)
- Top zipper: Bag features a top zipper, meaning your liquids can stand upright
#5 Eagle Creek "Pack It Quick Trip” Toiletry Bag
Looking for a small, lightweight, stain-resistant toiletry bag? Look no farther than Eagle Creek’s “Pack It Quick Trip” toiletry bag. The exterior is made out of a stain-resistant poly micro-weave and the interior is lined with a water-repellent material.
- Lightweight: This small toiletry bag weighs only 3 ounces
- Cost: Bag is relatively cheap
- Variety of Colors: This isn’t your basic black bag; in fact, it comes in a multitude of colors
About Our Service
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products.
When it comes to investing in travel, there are a million things to consider. Should you invest in hardside or softside luggage? Do you need a carry-on or a checked bag? And how can you keep up with your skin care routine while on the road – especially when checking a bag?
TSA regulations state that all carryon liquids must be 3.4 ounces (100ml) or under, and it’s up to you to figure out how to make that happen (and how to prevent your favorite products from spilling while en route). This is where a good toiletry bag comes in. As a group of frequent travelers ourselves, we’ve tried all types of toiletry bags: the big ones, the small ones, the clear ones, the hanging ones, and the cheapest ones we could find. We’re excited to share our favorites with you.
Best Toiletry Bag For the Budget Minded: HalVo Transparent Toiletry Bag
If you’re looking for a cheap toiletry bag, try a ziplock bag. Seriously, we’re not trying to be funny. They’re cheap, waterproof, and even TSA-approved. The downside is they’re typically one-time use and can’t hold much. But you really can’t get much cheaper if that’s your goal.
If you are willing to spend a little cash on a toiletry bag but don’t want to break the bank, check out the HaloVo Transparent Toiletry Bag. It’s not only cheap, but it’s clear, so you can see what you’ve packed. Plus it’s PVC and PVU leather materials, so if anything does happen to spill clean up is a breeze.
- Size: Bag is a good medium sized bag measuring 9.4″ x 3.3″ x 7.9″
- Transparent: The bag’s transparency makes it easy to see what’s inside without having to open the bag. It also makes spills easy to spot so you’ll know to be careful when opening.
- Top-side zipper: Your bottles can stand upright to further reduce spillage. Don’t want to unpack everything? Just put the bag atop the bathroom counter
- No compartments: If you want a bag that can help you stay organized, this isn’t in. There’s just one large compartment.
- Aesthetics: Truth be told, this isn’t the most beautiful toiletry it’s come across. But if function over form is your top priority, you’ve got it here.
Best Hanging Toiletry Bag: Mossio
We love hanging toiletry bags as they keep us organized. They typically have multiple compartments for our makeup, liquids, cotton balls and more. Plus, when you reach your final destination you can simply hang it on the back of a door (as long as there’s a hook) and never even worry about unpacking it!
There are hundreds if not thousands of hanging toiletry bags on the market. If you’re looking to splurge you can certainly find one, but you don’t have to. Amazon has plenty of affordable hanging toiletry bags that rival even the most luxurious. Mossio’s is our favorite. This hanging toiletry bag is large and features multiple compartments. It measures 9.45″L x 7.48″ W x 3.74″ H and has outside pockets for easy access when the bag is closed, interior compartments, and even a front zipper pocket for extra storage. Plus, it’s super durable.
- Price: Costing less than $20, this is one of the cheaper toiletry bags on our list.
- Multiple Compartments: The Mossio hanging toiletry bag features more compartments than most hanging toiletry bags because it features pockets both inside and outside the bag. Large pockets are located outside, which allow for easy access when the bag is closed. Three interior compartments keep your makeup and toiletries organized, and a front zipper pocket provides even more storage space.
- Durability: This toiletry bag is constructed of tough, water-resistant, polyester fabric and antimicrobial mesh.
- Lined interior: Interior pockets are lined to help prevent leaks.
- TSA-approved: You’ll easily clear through security with this TSA-approved toiletry bag.
- Multiple-patterns available: This bag is pretty. It comes in a variety of colors and patterns and there is literally something for everyone.
- Size: This is a big bag, so if you are looking for something you can easily fit into a weekend duffle bag or carry-on suitcase, you may have problems.
- See-through pocket comprised of thin material: One of the pockets is see-through and comprised of thin material. If you put a nail file or other sharp object inside, there is a chance it could tear.
Best Large Size Toiletry Bag: Sephora Collection Pack It All Organizer
If you’re a makeup junkie and are horrified by the thought of leaving home without your full collection of bronzers, highlighters, concealers and more, then Sephora’s Pack It All Organizer could be the best toiletry bag for you.
The bag measures 7 1/2″ H x 9.75″ L x 5″ H, so it’s best for checked bags. Comprised of soft materials, the bag contains two removable zippered packing cubes as well as a flat cosmetics pouch. It also has a brush holder so your makeup brushes are protected.
- Price: This is one of the cheaper toiletry bags on our list.
- Compartments: The bag contains two small storage cubes and one inside pouch, all of which are removable.
- Shape: If you use packing cubes, the shape of this bag enable sit to fit seamlessly amongst your other cubes.
- Material: While it is a soft shell, it’s thick enough to protect the contents inside.
- Plastic-Lined Inserts: The inserts are lined with plastic so if any of your liquids happen to spill they’ll remain contained.
- Palette Approved: If you have a Sephora lip or eye shadow palette, it will easily fit inside the bag.
- Accessories available: While the bag comes with three inserts, Sephora does have additional inserts available for purchase should you prefer something different.
- Soft-Shell: A soft shell means it’s not entirely sale from rough baggage handlers, so there is a chance your bottles could become crushed.
- Hairbrushes: Bag is not large enough to hold hair brushes.
Best Small Size Toiletry Bag: Eagle Creek “Pack It Quick Trip” Toiletry Bag
If you don’t need a lot of beauty products to get through your week, or you just need to invest in a small but quality toiletry bag, Eagle Creek has you covered. Its “Pack It Quick Trip” toiletry bag is lightweight, small, and stain-resistant. The exterior is comprised of a poly micro-weave that is stain-resistant, and it’s interior is lined with a water-repellent material. Should any spills occur, your toiletry bag won’t be ruined. If it does become stained, you can even throw it in the washing machine. Plus, the toiletry bag has compartments! Granted they’re small, but the bag contains two external mesh pockets to help keep your toiletries separate.
- Lightweight: Weighs just 3 ounces.
- Price: The cost of the toiletry bag won’t break the bank
- Color options: Bag comes in a variety of colors
- Pairs well with packing cubes: Eagle Creek also makes some of our favorite packing cubes, so if you want your toiletry bags to match your packing cubes, we highly recommend this set.
- Few compartments: While the bag does have a few compartments, they’re small, if you’re looking to separate multiple large products you won’t be able to.
Best Clear Toiletry Bag: Keokee Clear Toiletry Bag Set
Clear toiletry bags aren’t the most stylish, but they really are the most practical. Not only can you easily see all of your products, but if any should spill the clear plastic makes cleaning a breeze!
Samsonite makes some great clear packing cubes, so if you’re in the market for a large toiletry bag plus packing cubes, we highly recommend it. However, if you are simply looking for a clear toiletry bag and don’t want to spend a lot of money, our top pick is the Keokee Clear Toiletry Bag Set. Two clear, plastic toiletry bags come in this set: one large, TSA compliant bag, and one smaller bag perfect to keep in a purse or put smaller items in should you not have enough room in the larger bag.
- Price: This set costs less than what most people spend in a week at Starbucks.
- Small size: Even the large bag is relatively small, measuring 8″ x 5.5″ x 2.5″.
- TSA-Approved: The larger bag is TSA compliant for 3-1-1 liquids.
- Easy to Clean: If anything spills inside or outside the bag, simply rinse the bag under the nearest tap to clean.
- Durable: Bag has double stitching throughout as well as high-quality zippers
- No compartments: This is a very basic bag. If you are looking for a toiletry bag where you can separate your makeup brushes from your other beauty products, this isn’t it.
- Basic looking: If you’re looking for a “pretty” toiletry bag, this isn’t it. It’s as basic looking as you can get.
Toiletry Bag Buying Guide
There are a lot of things to consider when looking at travel toiletry bags. If most of your travel consists of weekend trips, you’ll likely want to pack as efficiently as possible. This means a small carry-on or duffle bag, which also means a small toiletry bag. If you’re checking a bag you’ll have extra space, but will have to decide if you want to dedicate that space to a large toiletry bag. Typically, when looking at toiletry bags, there are four key things to consider:
If you’re a frequent traveler, chances are you have more than one toiletry bag that you use on a regular basis… You have your “overnight toiletry bag” which is small, perhaps only has one compartment, and can perhaps fit five or six of your bedtime routine essentials. You likely also have your “weeklong” toiletry bag, which is much larger, might be hanging, likely has various compartments, and can hold enough beauty products to sustain you through an entire week (or more). We are Top 5 at travel enthusiasts and most of us have a variety of travel bags. However, if you tend to only take a trip or two a year, then you really only need one. So, should you get a large one or a small one?
The truth is it’s all subjective. If you tend to use a lot of beauty products and don’t mind a large toiletry bag, go for the large bag. However, if you only carry a few toiletry items and would prefer to save space, then go for a small bag.
If you’re a Type A kind of person and like to keep your space as organized as possible, chances are you’ll prefer a toiletry bag with multiple compartments. You can put your liquids in one compartment, your powders in another, makeup brushes in a third, and so forth. Pretty much all hanging toiletry bags have multiple compartments, but nowadays even large and small non-hanging bags can come with removable storage cubes to help keep you even more organized.
We prefer bags with various compartments as it helps keep us better organized, but if you’re okay throwing everything in one place, then compartments will be a non-selling point for you.
There are two main styles for toiletry bags: hanging and non-hanging. Which is right for you? It’s up to you to decide. If you tend to stay in hotels, you may prefer a hanging bag, as hotels typically have hooks you can hang them from. However, if you tend to stay in friends houses or Airbnb’s, you may want a non-hanging bag, as not all homes contain bathroom hooks for robes and toiletry bags.
The other element of style for toiletry bags are of lesser importance and simply consist of what the bag should look like. Once you align on hanging or non-hanging, you’ll have to figure out what you want the bag to look like. Do you prefer it to be a solid color, patterned, or even clear? Do you want it to match the rest of your luggage set? This leads us to the 4th key consideration you should keep in mind when looking at toiletry bags, which is material.
Material is one of the most important considerations in a toiletry bag. While a silk toiletry bag may seem luxurious, it’s pretty much the worst type of material for a toiletry bag you could find. Not only is it not machine washable, but it’s not strong enough to withstand the potential pressure put on your bag. Imagine your perfume spilled, your serum leaked, and even your tinted moisturized spilled a bit… The bag would be ruined!
When looking at toiletry bag material, we recommend keeping in the mind the following:
- Is the exterior waterproof?
- Is it machine washable?
- Is the exterior easy to wipe?
- Is it tough and will protect the contents inside?
- What material is on the inside: could it be easily cleaned with a makeup cleaner or wet towel?
With the above in mind, our favorite toiletry bags tend to be constructed of the following materials:
What to Pack in a Toiletry Bag
Flying on an airplane is like a trip to the desert: the humidity is only around 20% (skin is most comfortable with humidity levels between 40% – 70%) and nosedives in hydration levels. As such, it’s not only important to pack your everyday beauty essentials in your toiletry bag, but also a few extras to keep your skin hydrated with 40,000 feet above ground. If you plan on checking your bag, you may want to invest in a small toiletry bag that you can carry on the airplane.
At the bare minimum, we recommend you include the below product categories in your toiletry bag:
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Face wash
- Facial moisturizer
- Body lotion
If you’re happy with the above, then a small toiletry bag will likely suffice. However, as you’ve likely noted, the above doesn’t include makeup. If you’re looking to pack the bare minimum plus your makeup essentials, we recommend including the following as well:
- Tinted moisturizer OR foundation
- Bronzer and/or blush
- Makeup brushes
If you’re the type to back both the bare minimum and your makeup essentials, then you’ll likely want to invest in a larger toiletry bag, as well as one with compartments.
How to Pack a Toiletry Bag for Carry On
Whenever possible, we recommend using a carry on bag for your travels (here are a few of our favorite carry-on bags). Yes, that means you have to pack less, but it also means you won’t have to pay to check a bag, you’ll get out of the airport faster as won’t have to wait at the turnstile for your bag to arrive, and – most importantly – you won’t risk the airline losing your bag. One of the biggest challenges with packing a carryon, however, is space optimization. Trying to squeeze multiple outfits into a small bag is tough – especially when traveling in the winter months with bulky items! It’s also hard trying to pack your favorite toiletries, as liquids are limited to 3.4 ounces (100ml). So, how should you pack a toiletry bag?
For starters, find the perfect bag. It should be small so it doesn’t take up too much space in your luggage, and its contents should be small as well. Some airports require you to put your liquids in a clear plastic bag while others don’t. So whether you invest in a clear bag or a solid colored one is up to you.
Once you have your toiletry bag, you’ll need to decide what – and how – to pack it. One option is to purchase travel bottles and fill them with your favorite products. The benefit is that these bottles are refillable and will save you money over time. You can simply fill them with your existing shampoo, conditioner, body lotion, or whatever else you need. The challenge is remembering what type of product is in each bottle, as they’re not always labeled. Also – it can get messy trying to fill them. And what happens if you want to pack your La Mer eye cream? That’s not exactly easy to squeeze into a travel-sized bottle.
Another option (our favorite) is to stock up on or invest in beauty samples or travel sized items. We like this option for a few reasons: it allows us to bring micro-versions of our favorite products, allows us to try new products, and when we’re finished with the products we can simply throw them away and save even more space in our bag on the return (ie, more room for souvenirs!). If you have a favorite skincare line, the next time you purchase new items ask the salesperson if they have samples you can have. Tell them you travel frequently and love their products, but don’t have space to bring their full-sized items in your carry-on. If they want to keep you as a customer they’ll likely give you a few. These are huge space savers.
If you’re open to trying new products, consider subscribing to a Beauty Subscription Box such as Birchbox or Glossybox. You can get your shampoo, conditioner, facial serums or lotions, and so much more. It’s one of our favorite way to try new products and – as the sizes they send you are trial sized – they’re perfect for travel.
Do you have a favorite toiletry bag that didn’t make our list? Tell us in the comments what bag, and why it’s your favorite!Read More