The 5 Best RFID Wallets in 2019
Identity theft is running rampant and thanks to technology, its easier than ever to swipe your information. Nowadays, identity thieves can swipe your credit card information in a few seconds using RFID devices. One simple brush up against your purse or wallet, and they have your credit card information and can duplicate the card in minutes. For this reason, now more than ever is a perfect time to invest in the best RFID wallet to protect your information.
If you are a frequent traveler or live in a big city where theft is an issue, then an RFID blocking wallet is a must-have. RFID chip readers can scan your cards from up to several feet away, so there is no doubt that thefts can do it just as easily. Because there are so many brands and designs of RFID wallets, we’ve pulled together some of the favorites.
Here are the 5 best RFID wallets to protect your belongings and keep your credit cards safe.
Editors’ Choice: Dango D01 Dapper EDC Wallet
It’s all in the name with the Dango Dapper wallet. This wallet is sleekly designed with genuine leather and premium RFID technology to protect all of your information. You don’t have to sacrifice quality or style with this leather RFID wallet. Keep up to 12 of your cards secure with this simple design.
This wallet’s design is both lightweight and sturdy. The leather part serves as a money clip and can hold up to 5 bills while the RFID blocking aluminum case is where you’ll keep your credit cards. If you like minimal yet sophisticated design, this RFID wallet is for you. We don’t recommend this style for those who like to carry tons of cash or cards, because it won’t that many. Instead, choose this card if you’re looking for a more simple design.
Dango D01 Dapper Pros
- Made from sturdy materials: The wallet is made in the USA from quality genuine leather and CNC’d aluminum.
- Lightweight: You will hardly notice this wallet when you’re carrying it, it weighs approximately 2 ounces.
- Sleek design: The metal and leather look is great if the design is important to you.
Dango D01 Dapper Cons
- Money doesn’t fit perfectly: Some users say that American bills must be folded 3 times for it to fit perfectly in a money clip
Best Value: Trayvax Original 2.0 Metal Wallet
If you’re looking to invest in an RFID wallet that will last and will give you the best value overall, the Trayvax original 2.0 is a great place to start. We chose this one because the designers made every single part of this wallet intentionally. You want to protect your identity and this wallet will do just that. The RFID protection is guaranteed to keep your cards safe and the materials are built to last.
When we say value we mean it. The wallet clearly looks like a military-grade wallet with its design. You can be sure it will last you years and it is made from both aircraft-grade aluminum and stainless steel RFID blocking. Aesthetically, you’re not getting much, but value-wise we couldn’t find a better option.
Trayvax Original 2.0 Pros
- Lifetime warranty: The manufacturers believe in their designs and offer an astounding lifetime warranty with this wallet.
- Durable: You can’t get any more sturdy and durable with the high-grade aluminum and stainless steel build.
Trayvax Original 2.0 Cons
- May have trouble flying: Because of the materials and the built-in bottle opener, it may be a hassle getting through TSA check when traveling.
Best for Men: Hoobest RFID Blocking Genuine Leather Wallet
While we believe anyone can use any wallet, if you’re looking for a wallet similar to the traditional men’s wallet design, the Hoobest RFID is a great fit. The traditional checkbook wallet design is ideal for some, and now you can protect your credit cards with its RFID blocking technology.
This wallet is great for both travel and day to day life. It has a trifold design that holds up to 7 RFID protected cards. Your ID is perfectly viewable without taking it out and there is plenty of space for your bills to go. This wallet is a perfect gift for someone who wants to protect their thing with a straightforward no-frills design.
Hoobest RFID Genuine Leather Pros
- Easy ID and credit card access: You don’t have to fidget to get to your cards, the card slots and ID holders are easy to get to.
- Affordable: This wallet comes in at under $20.
- Soft genuine leather: The soft, genuine leather makes it easy to slip in your front pocket for easy access.
Hoobest RFID Genuine Leather Cons
- Thick: Although the design is slim, once loaded, it can be a bit thick.
Best for Women: Fossil Women’s Emma RFID Wallet Mini
If you’re on the hunt for a versatile and compact RFID wallet then we couldn’t think of a better option. The Fossil Emma Mini is a popular option among women because of its multifunctionality. You get everything you need out of a wallet: genuine leather, easy to access card slots and built-in card protectors.
Take this on the road with you on your travels or carry it around with you daily. The leather RFID technology will protect your cards from identity thieves effectively.
Fossil Emma Mini Pros
- Zippered pocket: Unlike the other wallets on this list, you can securely store your coins in the zip compartment.
- Easy ID access: Easily see your ID with the transparent ID slot.
Fossil Emma Mini Cons
- Small size: This wallet holds up to 5 credit and debit cards and 1 ID card, just the essentials. Anything more will be too much for its size.
Best for Passport: Travelon RFID Blocking Passport Zip Wallet
Believe it or not, some highly trained identity thieves can even scan your passport information. Protecting your passport is just as important when you’re traveling, and the Travelon RFID blocking zip wallet is a great option.
Choose from 4 different colors from the Travelon collection. The RFID blocking technology will keep your cards and passport safe while also being easily accessible. Hold up to 5 cards, your boarding passes, money and your passport in one. The zip is also great for security because you don’t have to worry about something falling out during your trip. The look may not be for everyone, but you can be assured that your most important documents are kept safe on any trip.
Travelon Passport Zip Wallet Pros
- Secure: The zipper closure keeps all of your things safe inside and lessens the risk of them falling out.
- Good travel size: The size is big enough to hold all of your essentials and more. There is ample space for a passport, money, cards, and IDs.
Travelon Passport Zip Wallet Cons
- Only has space for 5 cards: On the other hand, if you need space for more than 5 cards then it may not be enough for you.
What is RFID?
RFID stands for Radio Frequency Identification which is the form of wireless technology that most credit and debit cards are made with today. This is the technology that allows you to be able to use your cards contactless, without typing in your pin. While this technology is extremely convenient and cutting-edge, it also puts you at risk.
You would be surprised how easy it is to get a scanner to steal your information. These devices are rapidly evolving and updating as technology does. In fact, they are easily purchased on eBay. Newer devices don’t even require you to be that close to pick up your information. These scanners essentially do what the card readers do at a business does, except unauthorized by you. In a matter of seconds, a thief can have your full card information and duplicate it and make unauthorized transactions.
As we mentioned before, the technology is forever evolving and hackers are getting savvier and savvier. Since this type of criminal activity is so easy to do and difficult to prosecute, we don’t see it going anywhere anytime soon. Your best bet is getting a sturdy wallet with RFID blocking technology to keep your thing safe.
Benefits of RFID Wallets
Keep Your Information Safe
This is the obvious answer, but it is important to know exactly how these RFID wallets function to keep your information safe. Manufacturers use certain materials that block the frequencies that trigger the RFID scanners. Depending on the company, this could be made from steel or built into the leather.
Dealing with unauthorized transactions and fraud is a headache, so whatever you can do to combat it will definitely be in your best interest.
Peace of Mind While Traveling
Apart from the obvious reasons, what are the other reasons for choosing an RFID technology wallet? The best thing is that you can now travel and move about with a peace of mind. Frequent travelers not only have to worry about pickpocketers and swipers, but also identity thieves. If you invest in a good anti-theft travel bag and an RFID wallet, then you are fully prepared for your trip.
Dealing with fraudulent activity while traveling is a frustrating thing. Depending on your credit card, you may or may not be able to get an unauthorized purchase refunded fully. Instead of dealing with a pesky thief and reluctant card companies, protect your things and enjoy your travels.
The RFID technology isn’t going anywhere, which means that more and more manufacturers are releasing their wallet collections with it. You can expect just about any reputable company to have a line of RFID blocking wallets available. This means it’ll become easier and cheaper to buy one. Pretty soon, all wallets will have some sort of RFID blocking capacity.
Until then, it is relatively easy to invest in a RFID wallet, especially if you choose a small sized one. Some companies, like Travelon and Hoobest offer great options for under $30. You can even get a wallet made of genuine leather for under $30. The price tag and security benefits are a great incentive when looking for your ideal RFID wallet.
RFID Wallet Buyer’s Guide
Get to know what’s out there so you can choose the best RFID wallet for you. They all vary in style, design, and features. We think a good place to start is to decide is how important functionality vs design is to you. From there, you can pick from what’s out there, and our list is a great place to start.
Style and Design
Without any prior knowledge, an RFID wallet may sound like something that is bulky and ugly. This couldn’t be any further from the truth. RFID wallets come in so many styles and designs today that make it easy to shop for one. You can stick to your usual wallet design and still enjoy RFID protection.
However, the main thing that you’ll have to watch out for when shopping is choosing a wallet that is fully protected. A lot of manufacturers have some wallets that only certain pockets that are protected. For example, the Dango Dapper wallet has an aluminum RFID pocket, the other ones aren’t. So keep in mind that you’ll have to leave your cards in these designated pockets for them to be safe from thieves. If you prefer not to worry about where to place your cards, choose a wallet that is an RFID-only design.
There are tons of different materials out right now that are RFID blocking. Depending on the manufacturer, you could buy a wallet made of leather, aluminum, stainless steel, nylon or even cork. The material you choose all depends on your preference and where you plan to store it.
- Leather– Most people love their leather wallets. It’s sturdy, lasts long and looks great. Plenty of wallet manufacturers have developed a way to make their genuine leather RFID proof. The perk of using a leather wallet is the softness, it’s pretty easy to store in your front or back pocket without it being uncomfortable.
- Aluminum and Stainless steel- Wallets made of these metal materials may look intense, but they are some of the most durable wallets out there. In fact, the material makes it easy to block the RFID frequencies and keeps your things securely inside. Perhaps the only downside to these wallets is their inflexibility and hardness. It may be uncomfortable for those who tend to keep their things inside of their pockets. On the other hand, some people find the hard, military-look appealing and edgy.
- Nylon- Travelon and other manufacturers make their wallets with a Nylon material. This may the least visually appealing option out of all of them, but it works for some people.
The carrying capacity is one of the top features to keep in mind when shopping for an RFID wallet. It’s not enough to just protect your cards, you also need to be able to fit everything you need inside. The size varies depending on the company, but generally, it is good to have at least 5 card slots, including a spot for the ID.
If you need a wallet with more carrying capacity, then read the individual reviews to make sure it can hold what you need. On the other hand, if you are trying to fit your things into a smaller wallet, then downsize your things. Small RFID wallets are made to carry just the essentials, so pack them accordingly. For ample space, while traveling, choose a wallet with a passport slot, like the Travelon Passport Zip Wallet.
Ease of Access to Contents
Lastly, an ideal RFID wallet makes it easy to pull out your cards when you need them. Some models that don’t have individual card slots may not be as easy to get to as others are. In our experience, the wallets that are easiest to access are the ones with individual card slots and extra pockets. Wallets with compartments that are big enough for bills are also a plus because you can easily grab the bank notes when you need.
With some compact designs, you have to sacrifice the ease of access to contents. This means that you may have only one slot to fit all of your cards, ID, and money. If this is an issue for you then choose the other “traditional” designed wallets, like the Hoobest or Fossil wallet. These wallets tend to be more multifunctional and easier to access.
We hope we’ve made your RFID wallet decision-making process is much easier. There are a variety of wallets on this list, including some traditional and more innovative styles. No matter the one you choose, we know you’ll feel much better out on the town with your valuable information protected.Read More