The 5 Best Massage Chairs to Buy in 2019
Everyone loves the relaxing feeling of a massage from the comfort of your own home. Massage Chairs bring you the expert level of a trained masseuse at your service whenever you want or need it. The problem is, there are so many brands and big names out there, its hard to find the best massage chair for you.
We’ve broken down the ins and outs of the perfect massage chair to take you to a place of ultimate relaxation from zero-gravity to Shiatsu-styles.
Here are the five best massage chairs on the market.
#3 Osaki OS-4000 Zero Gravity Executive Massage Chair
A top tier full body massage chair that offers the best zero gravity massage from the comfort of your own home.
- NASA- inspired zero gravity chair
- Contours to a variety of spine shapes
- Heating therapy
Editors' Choice: Luraco Technologies iRobotics 7 Massage Chair
Feel the effects of a real Shiatsu massage with the high-performance Luraco iRobotics Massage chair. Luraco has made waves in the massage chair industry for being known as having the most customizable features. The i7 model comes packed with even more features to give you the most amazing massage experience.
The Luraco also accommodates body sizes of up to 6’7 inches and 300lbs and automatically adjusts to your height and weight. Choose between some of the preprogrammed settings or customize your own massage. Don’t worry about making too much noise either, this massage chair is also known as one of the quietest massage chairs out there. It is also important to note that we believe this is one of the most reasonably priced massage chairs out there.
Luraco i7 Pros
- One of the best warranties: Luraco offers one of the longest coverages of warranty in the industry, up to 5 years on parts and 3 years of labor.
- Adjustable: The preprogrammed settings on this chair are highly customizable and adjustable.
- Extremely quiet: Sound reduction technology helps to keep the noise down when using.
Luraco i7 Cons
- Bulky, can take up some space: Depending on the amount of space you have in your home, this chair could be a bit too bulky. It is definitely not great for someone who is space-conscious.
Best Value: Kahuna Superior Massage Chair SM-7300S
Relax and unwind with the Kahuna SM-7300S, a massage chair made from top tier technology to give you the perfect massage right at home. Choose from 13 different massage techniques with 3 different programs. This Kahuna is called a Top Performance and it definitely delivers just that with its 6 rollers, SL hybrid track performance.
Don’t worry about being too tall to fit into the chair, Kahuna has designed it to accommodate many body types with a height maximum of 320 lbs and 6ft5in. Our favorite feature from this chair is the ability to choose between their four “person” modes. Do you spend all day in an office? Are you an athletic person who needs to relax your muscles after a strenuous workout? Either way, choose between the Office, Senior, Golfer and Dynamic Sports presets that are catered to your lifestyle.
Kahuna SM-7300S Pros
- Bluetooth-controlled speakers: Control and choose your program settings through a Bluetooth Android app and speakers.
- Thirteen auto-programs: Choose between the 4 stretching, 4 special programs, and general programs.
- Body scan: The chair automatically scans your body to adjust to your body type once you get in so you don’t have to manually do it.
Kahuna SM-7300S Cons
- Air pressure is really strong: Some users claim that the leg squeeze functions can be too strong at times.
Best Massage Chair Pad: Naipo Neck and Back Massager
Give your entire body the treat of a shiatsu-style deep tissue massage right from wherever you are. The Naipo Neck and Back Massager is a top contender for the best back massagers because of its great price and quality. Naipo has several back massagers on the market, but this massage chair has several levels and settings that make it our favorite.
Choose from the four massage settings including rolling, kneading, Shiatsu and vibration modes. The neck and back section both have four nodes that work to give you the deepest palm-like massaging experience. From there, you can choose the option to use the heating feature or focusing on a specific part of the body. Another great thing about this massage chair is that its completely portable. You can enjoy a full body massage in the office, at home, or in the passenger seat of a car.
Naipo Shiatsu Massage Pros
- Portable: This is a massage chair, but it can be transported just about anywhere.
- Heating technology: Both the back and neck panel have heating options to help soothe your muscles during or after your massage.
- Car adapter: You shouldn’t use this Naipo massage chair if you’re driving, but if you’re going to be in the passenger seat, you can by plugging it into the adapter.
Naipo Shiatsu Massage Cons
- Not wireless: You can’t use the Naipo without it being plugged in.
Best Full Body Massage: BestMassage Full Body Shiatsu Massage Chair
Sit back, recline and relax with the BestMassage Full body chair that does it all. Shiatsu techniques, zero-gravity, and full body experience and heating features, are only some of the features offered with this chair. One session with this chair just about engulfs your entire body and uses several different mechanisms to treat all of your trigger points. The massage technology is designed to feel like a human’s hand.
BestMassage Full Body Pros
- OPTO sensor: The sensors on this chair automatically checks your shoulder height to know where to place the pressure.
- Full Body and Zero Gravity: Enjoy the joys of having both a full body massage while also reclining into zero gravity.
- L Shape Massage Chair: The L shape has been known to help with blood circulation and other features.
BestMassage Full Body Cons
- Doesn’t recline Ottoman style: One of the downsides to this chair is that you cannot recline only your feet up, you must recline your entire body.
Best Zero Gravity Massage: Osaki OS-4000 Zero Gravity Executive Massage Chair
The Japanese brand is known as only of the leaders in the massage world. With their top rated technology and innovative features, you can be sure that you’re getting the luxury home massage experience. While you may dish out a couple thousands more, the expense is definitely worth it.
Choose between the 6 programs available and from the 5 intensity levels and speeds. Experience a Swedish, kneading, rolling, Shiatsu and a combination of all of these styles to get you to the ultimate level of zen.
Osaki OS-4000 Pros
- Top brand, luxury quality: Osaki is a leader in the world of massage chairs, and you’ll know why as soon as you sit back and relax in this one.
- 6 programs to choose from: Customize your massage between the smart, relax, circulation, healthcare, therapy, and demo programs.
Osaki OS-4000 Cons
- Not the cheapest price: While this chair is priced well for the number of features it has, it isn’t cheap. It may be out of some people’s price ranges.
Types of Massage Chairs
Before we jump into the specific metrics of a massage chair, you need to get to know the various types of massage chairs out there. When searching for a massage chair you’ll most likely see several of these names being thrown around, but there is a difference in what they actually mean.
Chair pads are the most versatile and portable option available when it comes to massage chairs. They are as the name suggests, a pad that you can attach to any chair with massage nodes. The benefit of using a chair pad is the ability to take it with you wherever you’d like. If you’re going to the office and want to take a quick massage break you can easily pack the chair pad.
We would say the downside to chair pads would be the lack of features and top-notch quality that comes with full-blown massage chairs. If you’re looking to focus more on the relaxation and flashy features and less on portability, we suggest checking out some other types of massage chairs. However, the price tag of chair pads makes them the most affordable and attractive option for many.
Ottoman Massage Chairs
Ottoman Massage chairs are another basic option when it comes to massage chairs. If you’re interested in saving money (and space) then you’ll want to check out an Ottoman or standard massage chair. These types of chairs are usually much more affordable but also free of all of the fancy features that a full-featured massage chair may offer.
Ottoman massage chairs recline by leaving your back in the upright position and recline your legs out vertically. Many find this feature relaxing and enjoy the massage that targets the common problem areas of adults.
Full-Featured Massage Chairs
Full-featured of full body massage chairs are the ones we’ve primarily added to our list. If you’re gonna invest in a quality, customizable massage from the comfort of your home, then you may want one of these. These are the ones you commonly see in the middle of a mall or at home technology stores. They are called “full-featured” because of the level of quality massages they offer to your entire body.
Yes, your entire body can be targeted in a series of customizable massage programs. Your arms, legs, and feet can also enjoy the Shiatsu technique just like your neck and back. The benefit of these full-featured chairs is that you’re usually getting the best experiences but you’ll have to spend at least $1000 on a good one to do so.
Zero Gravity Massage Chairs
You may have been searching around for massage chairs for quite some time now. If so, then the term zero gravity will be familiar to you, especially after looking at our list of best massage chairs.
Technically, zero gravity refers to the position of the body when reclined which gives the NASA no gravity effect. Your back is fully reclined with your legs slightly above your heart. This is a similar position that astronauts are in during taking off. A zero gravity massage chair will have this same relaxing effect while running one of their programs. The horizontal position is not only relaxing, but it also takes the pressure off the back when working.
It is very common to find a full body and zero gravity massage chair so you can get the best of both worlds.
Massage Chair Buyer’s Guide
Massage chair shopping means navigating several fancy technical words and features. How do you know which one is best for you? We break down all of the different things to look for when shopping as well as tips on finding the perfect addition to your home.
Brand Name and History
The leaders in the massage chair industry are a force to reckon with. As they have been developing top quality massage chairs for years, these brands can be a great place to start when shopping. You can be sure that you’re getting the best quality for the money you spend when shopping for these brands.
Osaki or Titan Brand is a Japanese brand that has been around for years and has earned its reputation as a top-selling robotics massage chairs. Their innovative technology has kept them at the top of best-sellers lists everywhere.
Luraco boasts being an all-American brand that offers top-tier massage chairs that are entirely designed and manufactured in the USA. Their chairs deliver some of the best zero-gravity massages and are known for being the quietest chairs. The i7 is one of the best-selling Luraco chair out there. Be prepared to shell out some money when shopping Luraco.
Some more quality brands to consider:
- Human Touch Brand
A full-body, full-featured massage chair will offer several customizable massage techniques. Get to know the difference between the directions and the effects of all of these types of massages before you start the search.
- Swedish – If you’ve ever gotten a normal massage at a salon then the masseuse most likely used a Swedish technique. This technique is when they apply pressure and rubbing techniques to wherever your problem areas. Massage chairs will definitely have Swedish techniques in their programmed settings.
- Kneading- A massage chair uses their rollers and balls to mimic the kneading technique of a masseuse. This should be used in conjunction with rolling, oscillating and percussion techniques.
- Shiatsu- Shiatsu massages are a traditional type of massage from Japan that consists of applying pressure directly on the acupuncture points in the body. If you’ve never had a Shiatsu massage before it may seem rough at first. Most of the massage chairs on our list are Shiatsu-style massage chairs.
- Heated- Heating technology is a must if you’re investing in a full body massage chair. One of the most notable areas is the feet and legs portion. Heating technology is a great way to stretch and relax the muscles after a massage sequence. It also feels absolutely amazing.
Ease of Use
The ease of use highly depends on remote control technology. You’ll want to read reviews and product information to see how easy it is to choose your desired setting. It’s not only important for being able to choose a program, but also for setting it up and customizing it to your favorite adjustable settings.
Some of the adjustable settings you’ll want to be able to easily choose are massage intensity, speed, and direction of nodes. Ideally, you should be able to sit down, turn on the massage chair and easily turn it on.
Body Scan Technology
This is another feature you’ll commonly see when shopping for a massage chair. Body scan technology refers to the first thing your massage chair does when you turn it on. They “scan” your body to determine where to place the massage nodes based on your height and weight. The sensors can detect where your shoulders, hips, and waist are so they can properly place your pressure points.
This is extremely important because if it can’t find the right pressure points it risks hitting the wrong areas and causing more damage.
We mentioned the great benefits of the heating functions earlier. They are the best way to relax your muscles and joints during and after a massage session. Most full body massage chairs will have heat technology built into their chairs. However, make sure to look for an adjustable heat setting, as different people have different heat thresholds. Also, keep in mind that all chairs have settings in different places in the body. So if you’re set on heating a specific part of the body then look out for this as well.
- 2D– 2D rollers are the earliest types of massage roller techniques. These moved from side to side and up and down. Although this is the first type of massage roller out there, this is still the most prominent type of roller you can find.
- 3D– 3D rolling techniques were introduced to mimic the motions of a human’s hand even more than 2D. In addition to moving side to side, these also move forward and back, making the motion “3D” and applying pressure to the body.
- 4D– The only difference between 3D and 4D is the ability to control the speed of the rollers. That being said, some manufacturers may charge much more for any chair marketed as 4D. You’ll have to decide for yourself if you’ll need a chair with this extra little “feature” and if it is worth the extra money.
The “track” is the railing that the massage rollers are attached to in the body of the chair. There are two main types of tracks in a chair, and the best one for you depends on your preference and experience with massage chairs.
- S- Track– S tracks are modeled after the “S” shape of the spine. It is designed to massage along the curve of the spine back and forth.
- L- Track- The L track provides a longer massage railing that reaches down to your glutes making an L shaped curve. L shaped massage tracks may be recommended for anyone with a taller spine and lower back issues. It is much more common to find S track chairs, but L chairs are definitely available.
- Hybrid L/S Track- Some special massage chairs may offer a hybrid version of the S and L tracks. However the best way to see if this works for you is trying out to see if the massage rollers are comfortable. Otherwise, you’re better off trying to get the other two.
Massage rollers take care of the spine, the rest of the body is massaged via airbags and air cells. Airbags are little bags that inflate and deflate along the body to massage various parts of your body. They are designed to hit the pressure points in your body based on the body scan.
Generally speaking, you’ll want more airbags than not, as the more bags usually means better a massage. You can adjust the pressure and speed along with the rest of the adjustable settings with your massage chair. It is usually reached through the remote.
Size and Space Needed
If you’re looking into a massage chair then you already know you’ll need to have these two things ready to use:
If space is an issue, then we kindly suggest either replacing one of the seats in your home with the new massage chair. If not then a massage chair pad may be the better option for you.
However, if you’ve got to space to use then it’s still good to know the average amount of space you’ll need in the room. Massage chairs are big and a lot of the time they are very bulky. These machines are extremely high tech with several massage rollers, nodes, and airbags that deliver full body massages.
You also have to take into account that reclining will take up quite a bit of space as well. Especially if you’re looking for zero-gravity chairs. Generally speaking, if your chair reclines or massages the neck and back then you will not be able to place it in the corners or against the walls. It is is important to take exact measurements of the space you have so you can choose the best place to put it.
One of the biggest misconceptions is that a massage chair will fit perfectly in your living room. Unfortunately, that isn’t always true. Plus, because most of them aren’t designed to sleekly, they may throw off the theme of your living room. Instead, a better area to place it may be your bedroom or even a home gym.
This is probably the worst part of things to consider when shopping for a massage chair. Let’s face it, investing in a powerful, high tech equipment like this is in no way cheap. Even the “budget-friendly” models are over $1000, which for some people is already out of their price range.
Here is the thing about massage chairs though, it does matter how much it costs. The worst thing is choosing to “save’ money on a model and running into a lifetime of issues with little warranty. On the other hand, choosing a top brand less expensive chair with certain features is still a great option. You can also choose to save up for a pricier model that will last you years and deliver the quality massages you need.
Support, Customer Service, Warranty
In the event that something goes wrong, you’ll want to be able to rely on the manufacturer’s warranty policy. These machines are intricate and that can mean they can malfunction in some way or another. If or when this happens, you don’t want to be left with little to no support or a tricky warranty program to deal with. Generally speaking, top brands like the ones we mentioned above have trustworthy customer support services and warranty policies. Whatever you do, you don’t want to be left with a giant massage chair that doesn’t work.
We hope this buyer’s guide has helped you along your journey to finding the best massage chair for you. If you need more information on any of our top choices, feel free to click the links above to see the product pages.Read More