The 5 Best Massage Chairs to Buy in 2019
If you like massages, have you considered getting one of the best massage chairs?
Everyone loves the relaxing feeling of a massage. Massage Chairs bring you the expert level of a trained masseuse at your service whenever you want or need it.
We’ve broken down the ins and outs of the perfect massage chair to take you to a place of ultimate relaxation from zero-gravity to Shiatsu-styles.
Here are the five best massage chairs on the market.
#3 Osaki OS-4000 Zero Gravity Executive Massage Chair
This is a top tier full body massage chair that offers the best zero gravity massage from the comfort of your own home. Features include:
- Contouring options
- Heating therapy
- NASA-inspired zero gravity chair
Editors' Choice: Luraco iRobotics 7 Massage Chair
Feel the effects of a real Shiatsu massage with the high-performance Luraco iRobotics Massage chair.
Luraco has made waves in the massage chair industry for being known as having the most customizable features. The i7 model comes packed with even more features to give you the most amazing massage experience.
The i7 accommodates body sizes of up to 67 inches and 300lbs, and it automatically adjusts to your height and weight.
You can choose between some of the pre-programmed settings or customize your massage.
We believe this is one of the most reasonably priced massage chairs out there.
Luraco i7 Pros
- Adjustable massages: The pre-programmed settings on this chair are customizable so that you can enjoy your ideal massage.
- Long warranty: Luraco offers one of the longest coverages of warranty in the industry — up to five years on parts and three years of labor.
- Quiet motor: Sound reduction technology helps to keep the noise down.
Luraco i7 Cons
- Bulky design: Depending on the amount of space you have in your home, this chair could be a bit too bulky. It is not the best option for someone who is space-conscious.
Best Value: Kahuna Superior Massage Chair SM-7300S
Relax and unwind with the Kahuna SM-7300S, a massage chair made from top-tier technology to give you the perfect massage at home.
Choose from 13 massage techniques with three massaging programs. It delivers an amazing massage with its six rollers and SL hybrid track performance.
Don’t worry about being too tall to fit into the chair. Kahuna designed it to accommodate many body types with a height maximum of 320 lbs and 6ft5in. It’ll adjust so that it gets your back, neck, and shoulders in the right spots.
Our favorite feature from this chair is the ability to choose between the “person” modes. Choose from the Office, Senior, Golfer, and Dynamic Sports presets.
Kahuna SM-7300S Pros
- 13 auto-programs: Choose from the four stretching options, four special programs, and general programs.
- Bluetooth-controlled speakers: Control and choose your program settings through a Bluetooth android app and speakers.
- Body scan: The chair automatically scans your body to adjust to your body type once you get in it.
Kahuna SM-7300S Cons
- Air pressure: Some users claim that the leg squeeze functions can be too strong at times.
Best Massage Chair Pad: Naipo Neck and Back Massager
Give your entire body the treat of a shiatsu-style deep tissue massage from wherever you are.
The Naipo Neck and Back Massager is a top contender for the best back massagers because of its price and quality. Naipo has several massagers on the market, but this massage chair has several levels and settings that make it one of our top picks.
Choose from the four massage settings, including rolling, kneading, Shiatsu, and vibration modes. The neck and back section both have four nodes that work to give you the deep palm-like massage experience.
From there, you can choose the option to use the heating feature or focusing on a specific part of the body.
Another thing about this massage chair is that its completely portable. You can enjoy a full-body massage in the office, at home, or in the passenger seat of a car.
Naipo Shiatsu Massage Pros
- Car adapter: You shouldn’t use this Naipo massage chair if you’re driving. But if you’re in the passenger seat, you can plug it into the adapter.
- Heating technology: Both the back and neck panel have heating options to help soothe your muscles during or after your massage.
- Portable design: This is a massage chair, but you can take it almost anywhere.
Naipo Shiatsu Massage Cons
- Not wireless: You can’t use the Naipo without it being plugged in.
Best Full Body Massage: BestMassage Full-Body Shiatsu Massage Chair
Sit back, recline, and relax with the BestMassage chair that does it all.
Shiatsu techniques, zero-gravity, and full-body experience and heating features are only some of the features offered with this chair.
This chair engulfs your entire body and uses several mechanisms to treat all of your trigger points. The massage technology is designed to feel like a human’s hand.
BestMassage Full Body Pros
- Full-body and zero gravity massage: Enjoy the joys of having a full-body massage while also reclining into zero gravity.
- L-shaped massage chair: The L shape helps with blood circulation and other features.
- OPTO sensor: The sensors on this chair automatically checks your shoulder height to know where to place the pressure.
BestMassage Full Body Cons
- Doesn’t recline Ottoman style: One of the downsides to this chair is that you cannot recline with only your feet up. You must recline your entire body.
Best Zero Gravity Massage: Osaki OS-4000 Zero Gravity Executive Massage Chair
The Japanese brand is known as one of the leaders in the massage world. With the brand’s top-rated technology and innovative features, you can be sure that you’re getting the luxury home massage experience. While you may dish out more money, the expense is worth it.
Choose from the six programs and the five intensity levels and speeds with this superior massage chair. Experience a Swedish, kneading, rolling, or Shiatsu massage (or a combination of all of these styles) to get you to the ultimate level of zen.
Osaki OS-4000 Pros
- 6 programs: Customize your massage with the smart, relax, circulation, healthcare, therapy, and demo programs.
- Luxury quality: Osaki is a leader in the world of massage chairs, and you’ll know why as soon as you sit back and relax in this one.
Osaki OS-4000 Cons
- More expensive: While this chair is priced well for the number of features it has, it isn’t cheap.
Types of Massage Chairs
Before you know what massage chair features to get, you need to get to know the various types of massage chairs out there.
Chair pads are the most versatile and portable option available.
They are, as the name suggests, a pad that you can attach to any chair. These pads have massage nodes to work out tense muscles.
The benefit of using a chair pad is the ability to take it with you wherever you’d like. If you’re going to the office and want to take a quick massage break, you can pack the chair pad.
The downside to chair pads would be the lack of features and top-notch quality that comes with full-blown massage chairs.
If you’re looking to focus more on the relaxation and flashy features and less on portability, we suggest checking out some other types of massage chairs.
However, the price tag of chair pads makes them the most affordable and attractive option for many.
Full-Featured Massage Chairs
If you’re going to invest in a quality, customizable massage from the comfort of your home, you may want one of these.
Full-featured, full-body massage chairs are the ones you’re most likely to think of when you consider massage chairs.
These are the ones you commonly see in the middle of a mall or at home technology stores. They are called “full-featured” because of the level of quality massages for your entire body.
Your entire body can feel wonderful thanks to a series of customizable massage programs. Your arms, legs, neck, back, and feet can enjoy the Shiatsu technique.
The benefit of these full-featured chairs is that you’re usually getting the best experiences. Unfortunately, you’ll have to spend at least $1000 on a good one to do so.
Ottoman Massage Chairs
Ottoman Massage chairs are another popular option when it comes to massage chairs.
If you’re interested in saving money (and space), check out an Ottoman or standard massage chair. These types of chairs are usually more affordable but also free of all of the fancy features that a full-featured massage chair may offer.
Ottoman massage chairs recline by leaving your back in the upright position and recline your legs out vertically. Many find this feature relaxing and enjoy the massage that targets the common problem areas of adults.
Zero-Gravity Massage Chairs
Technically, zero gravity refers to the position of the body when reclined that gives the no gravity effect from NASA.
Your back fully reclines with your legs slightly above your heart. This is a similar position that astronauts are in during take off.
A zero-gravity massage chair will have this same relaxing effect while running one of their programs. The horizontal position is relaxing and takes the pressure off the back when working.
Some full-body massage chairs are also zero gravity, so you can get the best of both worlds.
Massage Chair Buyer’s Guide
Massage chair shopping means navigating several fancy technical words and features.
Learn the things to look for when shopping and how to find the best option for your home.
Massage rollers take care of the spine. Airbags and air cells massage the rest of the body.
Airbags are little bags that inflate and deflate along the body to massage various parts of your body. They hit the pressure points in your body based on the body scan.
Generally speaking, you’ll want as many airbags as possible. More bags usually means better a massage.
You can adjust the pressure and speed along with the rest of the adjustable settings with your massage chair through the remote controls.
Body Scan Technology
Body scan technology refers to the first thing your massage chair does when you turn it on. It scans your body to determine where to place the massage nodes based on your height and weight.
The sensors can detect where your shoulders, hips, and waist are so they can properly place your pressure points.
This special feature is crucial. If the massage chair can’t find the right pressure points, it could hit the wrong areas and cause damage. Look for a chair with reliable body scanning.
Brand Name and History
The leaders in the massage chair industry have been developing top-quality massage chairs for years. These brands can be an excellent place to start when shopping.
With one of these brands, you can be sure that you’re getting the best quality for the money you spend.
Osaki or Titan Brand is a Japanese brand that has been around for years. It has earned its reputation for top-selling robotics massage chairs. The innovative technology has kept Osaki at the top of best-seller lists everywhere.
Luraco boasts being an all-American brand that offers top-tier massage chairs that are designed and manufactured in the USA. The chairs deliver some of the best zero-gravity massages and are known for being the quietest chairs. The i7 is one of the best-selling Luraco chair out there. Be prepared to shell out some money when shopping Luraco.
Some more quality brands to consider:
- Human Touch Brand
Budget is probably the worst part of things to consider when shopping for a massage chair.
Investing in powerful, high tech equipment like this is in no way cheap. Even the “budget-friendly” models are over $1000, which for some people is already out of their price range.
With massage chairs, paying for decent quality is essential. The worst thing is choosing to “save’ money on a model and running into a lifetime of issues and no warranty to help pay for repairs or replacements.
On the other hand, choosing a top brand less expensive chair with certain features is still a great option. You can also choose to save up for a pricier model that will last you years and deliver the quality massages you need.
Ease of Use
The ease of use highly depends on remote control technology.
You should be able to sit down, turn on the chair, and go through the settings without trouble. Some of the adjustable settings you’ll want to be able to navigate are massage intensity, speed, and direction of nodes.
Read reviews and product information to see how easy it is to choose your desired setting.
We mentioned the benefits of the heating functions earlier. Heated massages are the best way to relax your muscles and joints. They are also excellent for pain relief.
Most full-body massage chairs will have heat technology built into their chairs. Look for an adjustable heat setting because different people have different heat thresholds.
Keep in mind that chairs have settings in different places in the body. If you’re set on heating a specific part of the body, make sure the massage chair you want to buy will heat that area.
Massage rollers are the tools that give you the relaxing massage you want because they affect the massage style.
They come in a few varieties:
- 2D: 2D rollers are the earliest types of massage roller techniques. These move from side to side and up and down. This type is the most common.
- 3D: 3D rolling techniques mimic the motions of a human’s hand even more than 2D. In addition to moving side to side, these also move forward and back, making the motion “3D” and applying pressure to the body.
- 4D: The only difference between 3D and 4D is the ability to control the speed of the rollers. Some manufacturers may charge much more for any chair marketed as 4D. You’ll have to decide for yourself if you’ll need a chair with this extra feature is worth the extra money.
Look at the product specifications to see which types of massage rollers the massage chair you’re looking at uses.
A full-body, full-featured massage chair will offer several customizable massage techniques.
Get to know the difference between the directions and the effects of all of these types of massages:
- Heated: Heating technology is a must if you’re investing in a full-body massage chair. One of the most notable areas is the feet and legs portion. Heating technology is a helpful way to stretch and relax the muscles after a massage sequence. It also feels amazing.
- Kneading: A massage chair uses rollers and balls to mimic the kneading technique of a masseuse. This should be used in conjunction with rolling, oscillating, and percussion techniques.
- Shiatsu: Shiatsu massages are a traditional type of massage from Japan that consists of applying pressure directly on the acupuncture points in the body. If you’ve never had a Shiatsu massage before, it may seem rough at first. Most of the massage chairs on our list are Shiatsu chairs.
- Swedish: If you’ve ever gotten a massage at a salon, the masseuse most likely used a Swedish technique. This technique is when they apply pressure and rubbing techniques to wherever your problem areas. Massage chairs will have Swedish techniques in their programmed settings.
Check which kind of massage techniques your chair is capable of doing, especially if you want specific types of massages.
The “track” is the railing that the massage rollers are attached to in the body of the chair.
There are two main types of tracks in a chair:
- S-Track: S tracks are modeled after the “S” shape of the spine. It is designed to massage along the curve of the spine back and forth. This is the most common type of massage chair.
- L-Track: The L track provides a longer massage railing that reaches down to your glutes, making an L-shaped curve. L-shaped massage tracks may be best for anyone with a taller spine and lower back issues.
Some robotic massage chairs may offer a hybrid version of the S and L tracks. The best way to see if this works for you is trying out to see if the massage rollers are comfortable. Otherwise, you’re better off trying to get one of the other two.
Size and Space Needed
If you’re looking into a massage chair, then you already know you’ll need to have two things: money and space.
If space is an issue, we suggest replacing one of the seats in your home with the new massage chair. If that’s not feasible and you don’t have space for a new chair, a massage chair pad may be the better option for you.
If you do have space, know the average amount of space you’ll need in the room. Massage chairs are big and often bulky. These machines are high tech with several massage rollers, nodes, and airbags that deliver full-body massages, requiring a lot of space.
You also have to take into account that reclining will take up space, especially if you’re looking for zero-gravity chairs. If your chair reclines or massages the neck and back, you probably will not be able to place it in the corners or against the walls.
Take exact measurements of the space you have so you can choose the best place to put it. If you buy on Amazon or another online website, double-check the measurements before you make a purchase.
Don’t forget to consider the room you’ll use for the chair.
One of the biggest misconceptions is that a massage chair will fit perfectly in your living room. Unfortunately, that isn’t always true. Plus, they may throw off the theme of your living room.
A better area to place it may be your bedroom or even a home gym.
Support, Customer Service, and Warranty
If something goes wrong, you’ll want to be able to rely on the manufacturer’s warranty policy.
These machines are intricate, which means they can malfunction. If or when this happens, you don’t want to be left with little to no support or a tricky warranty program to deal with.
Generally speaking, top brands like the ones we mentioned above have trustworthy customer support services and warranty policies. Check these options before you make a purchase.
A massage chair is a wonderful thing to have in any home. Use our top picks and buying guide to help you pick the best one for your needs.Read More