Best Invisible Braces in 2020
If you don’t want the hassle and unappealing look of metal braces, give the best invisible braces a try.
Metal braces are excellent for severe fixes, but you might be able to fix your teeth without the brackets and metal wires you may be used to. Invisible braces, also known as clear braces, can gradually straighten your teeth.
You can get invisible braces through your dentist, orthodontist, or even online without ever going into an office.
Here are the best invisible braces on the market.
#1 Smilelove Invisible Braces
Smilelove is an online-only provider of invisible braces. The biggest benefit? You never need to visit a dentist, orthodontist, or any type of office. Everything you need, from the molding kit to the whitening kit, is mailed directly to your home. Features include:
- Affordable plans
- No orthodontist visit required
- Optional payment plants
#2 Candid Invisible Braces
Candid is an online retailer of invisible braces that seeks to perfect your smile in approximately six months. Its orthodontists have an average 20+ years of professional experience. Features include:
- Best orthodontists
- Flat-rate plans
- Financing options
#3 Smile Direct Club Invisible Braces
Smile Direct Club straightens and brightens most smiles gently, remotely, and in an average of six months. To get started, order an impression kit to create a mold of your teeth at home or book a free SmileShop visit. Within a few weeks, you’ll receive your full treatment plan. Features include:
- Flat rate plans
- Monthly payment plans
- Online-only or in-person options
#4 byte Invisible Braces
Celebrity cosmetic dentist Dr. Jon Marashi developed byte as a way to perfect your smile in just three months (as long as it’s not a difficult case). Features include:
- Fast results
- Financing options
- Free retainers and whitening treatment
Editors' Choice: Smilelove
Smilelove is an online-only provider of invisible braces.
The biggest benefit? You never need to visit a dentist, orthodontist, or any other office. If you’re still nervous about dentists after a root canal or another treatment, you can get your dental work done from the comfort of your own home.
Everything you need – from the molding kit to the whitening kit – is mailed directly to your home.
Smilelove will start by sending you an at-home impression kit. From there, it will make somewhere between 15-20 different custom aligners. You should wear each aligner for two weeks.
Once you have gone through all of the aligners and are happy with the progress your teeth have made, Smilelove will send a retainer and a whitening kit.
Smilelove is one of the cheaper invisible braces lines. A full treatment typically costs less than $2,000. You can also make monthly payment plans.
Health insurance doesn’t cover Smilelove, but the company does accept FSA, HSA plans, and some dental plans.
Read our detailed Smilelove review to learn more.
- Affordable option: Most plans cost between $1,700 – $1,800.
- Monthly payment plans: Don’t want to shell out the full payment at once? You can opt for monthly payments as low as $66 per month.
- No orthodontist visit: You will get everything mailed to your home without an office visit.
- Whitening kit included: There’s no need to get your teeth professionally whitened once you have finished the straightening procedure. You can get two cosmetic dentistry procedures done at once.
- No insurance plans: You insurance may not pay for your braces. However, most insurance plans don’t cover invisible braces and metal braces. If you have dental insurance, you may be able to get coverage. Check your insurance guide for information.
- No professional oversight: Not having to visit a dentist or orthodontist is nice, but you lack the professional guidance if you need it.
Best Flat Rate Price: SmileDirectClub
Similar to Smilelove, Smile Direct Club lets you straighten your teeth online.
To get started, visit the website and order an impression kit. You’ll create your impressions at home and send them in for processing. The 3D model the company makes will determine the custom aligners you need.
Within a few weeks, you’ll receive a package with your full treatment plan: a series of aligners you will swap out every two weeks.
It differs from Smilelove by having a few storefronts for people that would prefer to consult a dentist in person before starting treatment. If you fall into this category, you can visit a shop, have a technician scan your mouth, and get a licensed dentist who will assess your needs.
Regardless of whether you do everything online or in-store, SmileDirectClub offers a flat rate of $1,850. It also allows you to finance your smile plan if you desire.
- Flat rate: You won’t have to make assumptions about the cost. All plans are $1,850.
- Online or in-store service: If you want to do everything online, you can. If you would prefer to talk to a technician in a store, you can do that.
- Monthly payment plans: If you don’t want to pay in full or don’t have the budget to pay at once, you can choose a monthly plan.
- Wait time: The custom aligners can take 4-5 weeks to ship.
Book a free SmileShop visit near you, and you’ll receive a $25 Amazon digital gift card at your appointment + $100 off aligners with code SAVEINAUGMore Details
Fastest Treatment: byte
byte was developed by celebrity cosmetic dentist Dr. Jon Marashi. The company aims to perfect your smile in three months.
When you begin, byte will send you an impression kit. Take impressions of your teeth, and send them back to byte. The company will send your sets of aligners directly to your door.
There’s no need to visit a dentist. Everything with the orthodontists happens online. In addition to aligners, byte will also provide free retainers and whitener.
The company further differentiates from other invisible braces companies by offering a byte-for-Life guarantee. This guarantee promises that customers will have straight smiles for the rest of their lives for the one time cost of $1,900.
- Fast results: byte seeks to perfect your smile in three months. More complicated cases will take longer.
- Financing options: byte partners with affirm to provide financing options.
- Free retainers and whitening treatment: byte includes retainers and whitener free of charge.
- Online-only service: There’s no need to visit a dentist or orthodontist to get your teeth fixed. Visiting an orthodontist can take a lot of time, so having things sent to your door is convenient.
- Higher price: These services are slightly more expensive than competitors’ options.
Best Orthodontists: Candid
Candid is an online retailer of invisible braces that seeks to perfect your smile in about six months.
Similar to the other invisible braces companies on our list, Candid lets you work with dentists and orthodontists remotely so that you never have to sit in a waiting room.
Candid has the most experienced professionals. According to the company, the average orthodontists have 20+ years of professional experience.
At $1,995, Candid is priced slightly higher than some of the other clear braces providers. Still, the price is much lower than traditional metal braces.
The company partners with Affirm should you wish to finance your braces.
- Best orthodontists: Candid claims that its orthodontists average 20+ years of experience.
- Finance options: Candid partners were Affirm so you can space your payments out over time rather than pay everything up front.
- Flat rate: All plans are $1,995.
- Fast service: Candid seeks to straighten your teeth in six months or less.
- Higher price: Candid is slightly more expensive than other invisible braces companies.
- No add-on benefits: Candid does not offer free teeth whitening like some of its competitors.
Save 50% off the purchase of your Candid Starter Kit with code NEWYOU50!More Details
What Are Invisible Braces?
Invisible braces are the latest and greatest in teeth-straightening technology.
They are clear and removable. Invisible braces are more like a retainer than traditional metal braces.
While traditional braces have brackets that attach to your teeth and are connected by metal wires, invisible braces are sets of plastic trays. You’ll get a new plastic tray (otherwise known as an aligner) approximately every two weeks.
Each try will be shaped slightly differently and help your teeth work their way towards straightened perfection.
Invisalign was the first company with this new technology founded in 1997. We’ve decided to compare newer companies and not do Invisalign reviews in this segment. You’ll be able to compare the differences with Invisalign with your orthodontist.
How Do Invisible Braces Work?
Invisible braces work best for people with mild to moderate teeth issues such as:
- Crooked teeth
- Slight gaps
Invisible braces are not for extreme cases.
Even though invisible braces are removable, you’re expected to wear them as close to 24/7 as possible.
You can remove them when eating or drinking. You can also remove the braces for important occasions like a hot date or a business presentation.
Typically, you should wear them a minimum of 22 hours a day. The longer you wear them, the better (and faster) they’ll straighten your teeth.
They tend to work in about a year (typically 9-12 months). Every two weeks or so, you will get a new set of invisible plastic aligners that are slightly differently shaped than the previous week’s. These sets will gently move and align your teeth.
Metal vs. Invisible Braces
If invisible braces are less obtrusive, why are metal braces still on the market?
There are pros and cons to both. Let’s take a look at them.
Metal braces work better for severe cases. If your teeth are extraordinarily crooked, invisible braces might not work.
Here are the pros and cons of metal braces.
- Metal braces are better at correcting severely crooked teeth and severe underbites and overbites.
- These braces are permanent so that you don’t have to worry about losing them.
- Treatment time can be faster than invisible braces because you are forced to wear them 24/7.
- Metal brackets and wires can hurt the sides of your mouth.
- This option is less attractive than invisible braces or clear braces.
- Metal options are not suitable for people who play contact sports.
- Brushing and flossing can be more difficult with metal braces.
- You have to wait to do teeth whitening until after you are done.
Invisible braces are more attractive than metal braces and often more comfortable.
Here are the pros and cons of invisible braces.
- Invisible braces are more attractive. The appearance is one of the main reasons that people don’t want to wear braces. An invisible option is more attractive than metal options because they’re nearly invisible.
- This option is less painful than metal braces as they lack metal wires.
- You can floss your teeth and bleach them if need be because the braces are removable.
- Invisible braces are easy to lose because they’re removable.
- These require more self-discipline than metal braces.
Who Are Invisible Braces For?
While anyone can wear invisible braces, they’re best for adults.
Clear options are the best braces for adults who want the flexibility of removing their braces during important events. Adults also tend to be more responsible and are less likely to lose their trays.
The American Association of Orthodontists recommends that metal braces still be used for situations that need more extreme repair. Invisible braces are also best for people who need a slight correction. Invisible options won’t correct an overbite or underbite as well.
As people get older, their teeth can move. Invisible braces are great for adults who had braces as children but whose teeth have moved and become a bit crooked in adulthood.
In general, you’re a candidate for invisible braces if you have the following:
- Crowded teeth
- Gapped teeth
- Mils crossbites
- Mild open bites
- Mild overbites
- Mild underbites
- Slightly crooked teeth
Like traditional braces, invisible braces can help remove problems that cause teeth grinding. Both treatment options can fix front teeth, back teeth, and bites.
How Long Does It Take for the Invisible Braces to Straighten Teeth?
Depending on the severity of your case, invisible braces can take anywhere from six months to a year to work.
It also depends on the user. If you follow your orthodontist’s advice and wear your invisible braces 22 hours or more a day, they’ll work faster.
However, if you tend to take them out more than you should, or only wear them at night, expect treatment time to take longer.
More extreme cases may need longer. Talk to your orthodontist or another dental professional to find out if you’d need six months, nine months, a year, or longer in your specific case.
How Much Do Invisible Braces Cost?
You might assume invisible braces are more expensive than metal braces. But you’d be wrong.
Invisible braces are comparable in price to metal braces.
The cost will depend on the severity of your case and how much you need your teeth adjusted, but invisible braces typically range from $3,000 for a simple correction to $8,000 for something more complex.
As a comparison, metal braces typically range from $3,500 to $9,000.
The best invisible braces can take your smile to the next level. Use this guide to help you get started with your teeth improvement plan.Read More