Best Home Security Systems in 2020
When it comes to protecting your home, you want to use your money and time wisely by picking one of the best home security systems available.
Shopping for a home security provider can be stressful. You’re looking to find the company that will suit your home, lifestyle, and budget the best. We’ve made this process easier by researching the best options for you.
Here are the 5 best home security systems companies — and how to pick from them.
Whole home protection with SimpliSafe. Protection for every window, room and door. Against intruders, fires, water damage, medical emergencies & more. All monitored 24/7 by professionals ready to dispatch police.
- Editor’s Choice: Best Do It Yourself Setup
- Live Professional Alerts
- Dispatch Faster with Visual Verification
- Cut out the middlemen and markup so you get more security for less—with no contract.
- Protects against fires and water damage
- Detects people, ignores pets
#2 Ring Alarm Home Security System
Ring Home Security System give you whole-home security at your fingertips. The Ring Alarm, a do-it-yourself alarm system with optional 24/7 professional monitoring for $10/month.
- Customizable motion sensors
- Highest video quality on the market
- Interchangeable faceplates
#3 Deep Sentinel Home Security
Deep Sentinel is about technology, processes, and live Sentinel guards. Deep Sentinel is proactive. Additionally, they use predictive artificial intelligence, human intervention, and a proactive security approach together in their system. Nevertheless, while it has a high-end price, the innovations is worth it.
- Editors Choice: Best Live Guards
- 24/7 Human Surveillance
- No false alarms
- Locally processed artificial intelligence
FrontPoint Security is one of the top home security providers. It has been providing service to customers for over 11 years. Features include:
- 30-day trial period
- Highly rated customer service
- Home automation features available
Editors' Choice: Deep Sentinel
Deep Sentinel Home Security
Deep Sentinel Home Security is about technology, processes, and live Sentinel guards. Altogether, the technology is the most impressive part of their service. Artificial Intelligence on the Hub separates potential threats like humans from useless events. Additionally, the bright red LED ring will spin when a potential threats is detected. If there is a threat, guards intervene directly using the camera’s 2-way 104dB audio or built-in siren. Often, a “hello” is all that’s needed.
Deep Sentinel Overview
The Deep Sentinel Home Security system takes a very different approach to home security. In most cases, the typical home security camera only documents crime. An intruder triggers the camera when they breach your perimeter, and the camera records what’s happening. The camera might set off a local siren. Additionally, the other guys may send you a notification. But, Deep Sentinel is more. and does more. Undoubtedly, the key feature that sets Deep Sentinel apart is the monitoring. Suspicious activity is sent to human beings. Moreover, this human’s job is to monitor and, if appropriate, respond to them.
Human beings who monitor and respond to suspicious activity detected by its security cameras. Indeed, the Deep Sentinel home surveillance system apart from anything else on the market.
- Live Agent Monitoring: Unquestionably, live agents monitoring the cameras can prevent and report crimes
- Sophisticates Artificial Intelligence: AI distinguishes between benign and suspicious activity
- Cameras: Creates a security perimeter around your home
Here are some things to keep in mind:
- Long-term contracts: Requires a subscription, with a minimum one-year commitment; $50/month after that
- No Indoor Security: Unlike their outdoor camera, there is no indoor cameras or motion sensors. Additionally, no door/window sensors
Unquestionably, this company offers several features that help set it apart. This portion of our Deep Sentinel review will go over some of those features in more detail.
How Deep Sentinel Works
- Cameras Detect – Cameras stream within seconds to local AI to detect potential threats.
- Live Guards Watch – Importantly, guards watch every time a person enters or exits your home, instantly.
- Instant Response – Consequently, guards can engage potential criminals with two-way audio and contact police within seconds, not minutes.
Best Do It Yourself Setup
SimpliSafe is smaller, faster and stronger than ever before.
SimpliSafe is an affordable, but full-featured, wireless security system similar to the expensive, professionally installed ones.”The all new SimpliSafe. At half the size and double the range, it’s practically invisible. And at five times faster, fifty percent louder, and loaded with safeguards, it’s the most powerful SimpliSafe ever. The system is built for the unexpected. Real home security prepares for the worst.
- Smash Safe – An intruder can damage the keypad. It will not hurt your security. SimpliSafe will alert the police immediately.
- Twice Secured with both wifi and cellular connections.
- Disaster Ready by having 6 monitoring centers. They all protect your home. All the time. Overkill? It’s not. It means there’s no single point of failure. So a disaster can’t take down your protection.
- Confirmed Alerts – Alert confirmation is big. It means that we send an alarm signal until the monitoring center confirms they got it. It’s how you can be absolutely sure help is there when you need it.
You’ll get industry-leading security that charges less than half of what most companies do. Plus, the freedom and control to monitor your home, right from your smartphone.
No landline needed, no long contracts. Order today, be protected next week.
Best for the Money: Ring
Ring Alarm Home Security System
The Ring Video Doorbell Pro is what most of the best video doorbells are modeled after because Ring was the first one to hit the market in a huge way. If you’re looking for a brand you recognize with powerful features, this may be the video doorbell option for you. Read our full Ring Video Doorbell Pro review to learn more.
Ring Video Doorbell Pro Overview
The first generation of the revolutionary smart home doorbell product first came out in 2016. The smart doorbell from Ring was the first to record images and send them to your mobile devices or computers.
Fast forward to now, and the Ring Video Doorbell Pro is the most innovative of all of the models.
The Ring Video Doorbell Pro provides the ultimate user experience with its high-quality video, customizable motion sensors, and smart home integration. While the doorbell does woo customers with its shiny specs and sleek design, it does come with a hefty price tag compared to the rest of the market.
Our Ring Video Doorbell Pro will tell you everything you need to know about this device.
It’s hard to find a Ring Video Doorbell Pro review that doesn’t have a lot of positives to go over. Here are some of the vital pros:
- 1080 HD video quality: With this level of video quality, you’ll be able to see any visitors, delivery services, or intruders who come to your door.
- Customizable faceplates: Not all video doorbells will match perfectly with your house or your door. Ring solves this by giving you four colors, so you can choose which one looks best with your home’s aesthetic.
- Night vision camera: This camera will help you see visitors at any time of the day.
Best Wireless: Frontpoint
If you want a wireless smart security system for your home and to avoid landline installation, we recommend Frontpoint as the top choice.
As one of the best home security companies, Frontpoint makes sure that you and your home are well-connected and prepared. You can enjoy their high tech monitoring systems and a myriad of smart home security and automation features for a reasonable price, and you don’t have to sign a three-year contract to do so.
Read our full review.
- DIY installation: Frontpoint is the best wireless choice because of their simple, DIY installation process. The connection uses a cellular connection.
- Excellent customer service: Frontpoint brags about their award-winning customer service from their products to the professional monitoring response teams. The company also has a fully updated, user-friendly website with plenty of information available. The customer service line is available 24/7.
- Powerful home automation: If you’re a smart homeowner and want your home security system to work well with the rest of your gadgets, you’re in luck. The Frontpoint home hub has all of the tools to do that for you. The Frontpoint hub is also great for encryption, backups, and other customizations.
- Shorter contracts: You have the option to sign up for a one-year contract. Shorter agreements increase the monthly cost, but the shorter commitment may be worth it for you.
- Wireless only: Frontpoint has no landline installation options. It is a wireless-only company.
If you dislike contracts or long-term agreements or simply like to do things yourself instead of meeting a company’s requirements and restrictions, iSmartSafe might be the best home security company for you. Read our full iSmartSafe review to see what kind of DIY security system you can build if you choose this company.
Overview of iSmartSafe
iSmartSafe is a unique home security business. It provides the ultimate DIY packages to monitor and protect homes. The Texas-based company has the goal of bringing home security into the homeowner’s hands.
iSmartSafe is different from other home security companies. Instead of long-term contracts and expensive monthly monitoring fees, you purchase equipment and then monitor everything yourself.
The products use the technology that you already have and integrate it with their high tech equipment, making monitoring your home seamless. Because of the flexibility of their packages, you can add and remove whatever equipment you’d like.
Our iSmartSafe review has a lot of positive things to point out. Here are some of the top reasons people love this company:
- Customizable packages: iSmartSafe lets you pick the equipment you’d like to use and customize your package to meet your individual needs.
- DIY installation: This company lets you do all the installation yourself. This allows you to save money on installation.
- No contract: You don’t have to sign a long-term agreement to use the equipment that iSmartSafe offers.
- No monthly fees: Unlike most home security companies, you don’t have to pay monthly monitoring fees.
Why Get a Home Security System
The obvious reason to get a security system is to protect your home from break-ins, but that’s not the only reason a security system is useful.
Let’s go over the top reasons why you need to consider a home security system.
Avoid Being a Statistic
About 2,000,000 home burglaries are reported a year. That number isn’t changing anytime soon.
Statistics also show that burglaries are not always dependent on where you live or what type of home you have. Anywhere, whether house or apartment, gated community or not, is vulnerable to an attack at any time.
Protect Your Home When It Is Vulnerable
Home security systems are not only good for protection while you’re in the home.
Most burglary attempts take place when no one is in the home. Most break-ins happen during the daytime when the inhabitants are at work or school.
Your home is more vulnerable to being attacked while you’re gone, so having security cameras that pick up any unusual activity could save you and your home.
Get Peace of Mind
Even with all of the statistics on burglaries, a security system can give you peace of mind. Should the unfortunate happen, the home security company and technology will have your back in the form of an alert to your phone or alerting the authorities. With 24/7 video monitoring, you could check on the live feed directly from your mobile app.
It’s always better to be safe and in the know than sorry.
Deter Potential Burglaries
Statistics show that a visible monitor prevents 90% of home burglaries.
If a robber is scoping out a neighborhood, a visible sign you have a security system could deter the robber. If the alarm goes off, this could scare the robber from continuing the attack. Your security monitoring company is working for you when you’re not there.
Things to Look for When Shopping for a Home Security System
While it may seem that all of the popular home security systems offer the same thing, different companies have different features. In the same way, every home and family has different needs when looking for a security system.
Here are some things to consider to help you choose the best home security company for you.
1.) Company Reputation
Companies like ADT and Protect America are some of the top names in home security. The reputations alone precede them and attract customers to the services.
If a company’s reputation is important to you, choose one with an excellent rating. A well-known company can give you access to more word of mouth reviews.
More importantly, research details like response times and customer service to see if the company’s reputation makes them trustworthy to you.
2.) Customer Service
A business is only as good as its customer service. With home security, this aspect is crucial.
Because most of our best home security companies offer safety monitoring, the company needs to have an excellent customer service reputation. When an alarm goes off, most companies immediately contact you. Choosing a company with fast response times and helpful representatives is crucial when dealing with security.
A company’s warranty policy is also apart of customer service. If a company does not prioritize its paying customers by giving them a good warranty policy, the customer may be frustrated if any of their equipment fails or malfunctions in any way.
3.) Monthly Cost and Contractual Commitments
Four out of the five home security systems on our list require a contract.
The standard length of a contract is three years. Some companies like Frontpoint offer more expensive but shorter contracts. The monthly bill comes out cheaper when you sign a three-year contract.
If you have to break the contract for any reason, most companies will make you pay the remainder of the contract and possibly a cancellation fee.
Other companies like iSmart Safe work on a no contract, no monthly cost basis. Instead, you purchase all of the home security equipment such as the camera, the sensors, and lights in a package up front. If you are wary of signing big contracts for whatever reason, this may be a better option for you.
Prices vary when it comes to choosing a company. Some of the more established companies with newer technology may cost more for monthly monitoring, while others may have good package deals that average out the cost.
Check if the company has these fees in addition to monthly payments:
- Installation fee: Some companies require you to use their professional installers. Other companies offer a start-up kit you install yourself. Check with the company to see if there is any additional cost for this service.
- Upfront equipment costs: Some companies make you buy the equipment up front. You then own the items instead of paying for them monthly.
- Warranty: Some companies charge extra for the warranty.
4.) Size of Your Home
The amount of cameras and motion sensors you need depends on the size of your home.
The size of your home could change the equipment package you choose. You don’t want to leave part of your home vulnerable to attacks or blind spots, so consult with the home security company about what package would be right for your home size.
The number of sensors and cameras you need depends on the number of access points you have in your home. You’ll need door and window sensors to cover all of the vulnerable areas in your home. If you have a large house, you may need a premium package with more cameras and motion sensors.
For the most flexibility, choose a company that lets you customize or upgrade easily.
5.) User Friendliness
Your package usually comes with a control panel and a mobile app with many security and home automation features, but technology is only as good as its user-friendliness. Some are better than others. If your devices are complicated and frustrating to use, you won’t like your system as much.
You should be able to arm, disarm, and view your footage easily and quickly. Our detailed reviews will tell you some of the best home security companies with user-friendly software.
6.) DIY vs. Professional Installation
Before the proliferation of wireless connections, getting home security meant having a technician come to your house to install a complicated system. This process often costs money and time.
Now, you can choose between this traditional option or installing a system yourself.
Most security systems are easy to install yourself. DIY systems come with all of the equipment you need, a manual, and a customer hotline if anything goes wrong. Doing DIY installation also avoids installation fees.
7.) Smart Home Automation Features
Smart homes are all the rage nowadays. Having control of your home from your mobile device is a convenient feature.
Most home security companies offer home automation systems and integration with the control panels and video cameras. You can arm and disarm your devices from the palm of your hand. You can also view the video footage of your home whenever you want and receive alert text messages to your phone.
Smart home features are varied. Possible options include:
- Indoor video cameras
- Integration with Amazon Alexa, Amazon Echo, and Google Home
- Outdoor video cameras
- Panic buttons
- Smart door locks
- Smart lights
- Video doorbells like the Ring alarm
- Voice commands
Browse different options to see what you most want to use.
Wired vs. Wireless: Which Is Better
Before looking for the best home security company for you, you need to acquaint yourself the different types of systems.
Technology is ever-evolving. Know what is on the market to make sure you’re getting the best value.
Wired home security systems require a landline connection. To install a wired system, you have to drill holes to run the cables through the walls or floors. These systems require electricity to work.
These systems aren’t as susceptible to radio interference issues or hacking, but they are permanent additions because of the holes you have to make for the system. The wires can also be cut to disable the system.
A wireless system operates from a battery or cellular connection that doesn’t require hardwiring. Most wireless systems also have a cellular backup to keep you safe if the power goes out.
A wireless security system can seem like the better, more modern option. These don’t require as much work to install and are easy to upgrade. However, wireless systems are susceptible to interference, have range limits, and may need battery changes.
These are the best security systems for renters because you won’t leave as many traces behind.
Which One to Choose
Both types of systems provide sensors for your doors and windows so you can set off alarms if there is an intrusion, and most systems now are compatible with cameras, video doorbells, medical alert systems, home automation systems, and other newer features.
Ask your home security company questions about how these systems will work with your home to know which the best option will be for your situation.
Home Security Systems vs. Security Cameras
A home alarm system is a sensor-based system that you’re able to arm and disarm when you leave. Some of these systems include cameras for an additional fee.
If you’re most interested in cameras or home automation, you may not need to use a full security system. You can buy the cameras or video doorbells as individual pieces instead of paying a monitoring fee.
However, if something happens, the cameras on their own won’t contact authorities for help. A home security system with monitoring will sound alarms and call for assistance if you need it.
Once you’ve considered the pros and cons of the best home security companies, you can decide which one to use.
For more information, read our in-depth reviews of our top 5 picks for best home security companies.Read More