The 5 Best Beauty Subscription Boxes in 2019
#1 Petit Vour Beauty Box
If you’re looking for new, innovative beauty products that are both vegan and cruelty-free, Petit Vour has you covered. Features include:
- Both full-size and sample size products
- Rewards points for every beauty box you review
- Worldwide shipping and free shipping in the United States
#2 BeautyFIX Beauty Box
BeautyFIX by Dermstore is the best monthly beauty box to subscribe to if you love trying out new skincare and wellness products. You always receive at least six skincare, haircare, makeup, body, and makeup products. Features include:
- Each box is valued over $100
- High-quality luxury beauty brands
- Variety of beauty and wellness products
#3 Birchbox Beauty Box
Birchbox is the best beauty subscription box for anyone looking for an affordable and convenient way to try out new beauty product samples at home. Features include
- Affordable price at only $10 a month for five beauty samples
- Customization options after the first box
- Nice and well-known known beauty brands
#4 Play! by Sephora Beauty Box
Play! by Sephora is a monthly beauty box from Sephora. This box is curated by industry experts and includes five sample-sized products. Features include:
- Affordable monthly price
- Access to free online video tutorials
- Free bonus sample every month
#5 Glossybox Beauty Box
Glossybox is one of the best beauty subscription boxes for full-sized beauty products. They deliver a good variety of makeup, skincare and hair care products from luxury brands throughout North America and Europe. Glossybox features:
- Full-sized products with high values
- Great luxury brands in every box
- High-quality packaging
Beauty subscription boxes have taken over in the last couple of years. The beauty box trend just keeps on growing, and the beauty-obsessed can’t help but continue to sign up for the best beauty subscription boxes on the market. If you haven’t tried a monthly beauty subscription yet, you might be wondering what all the hype is really about.
A beauty subscription box is a convenient and affordable way to try new beauty products. A monthly beauty box lets you indulge in skincare and makeup products without completely emptying your bank account in the process. Every month, for as little as $10, you can get 4-6 new makeup, skincare, haircare and body care products sent straight to your door.
If you already spend hours shopping for new beauty products online or browsing stores like Sephora and Ulta Beauty, you’ll save yourself time and money by signing up for one, or even a few, of the best beauty subscription boxes instead.
Keep reading to learn about the top 5 best beauty subscription boxes available and everything you need to know before you subscribe to one.
Best for Vegan and Cruelty-Free Products: Petit Vour
If you strictly use clean, cruelty-free, vegan products, you have to try Petit Vour. It’s the best beauty subscription box you can find that offers strictly vegan beauty products.
Petit Vour includes only non-toxic, plant-based and cruelty-free products in the boxes. You can expect to find a curated mix of makeup, skincare and fragrances. All clean green, of course!
Each month for just $18, you’ll get 4 different products with a retail value of $45-60. If you choose to pay for all 12 months at once, the monthly price drops to just $15.
This monthly subscription company sends a mix of both full-sized and sample-sized beauty products.
Petit Vour Pros
- Affordable price: Some beauty products can be expensive, so this beauty box is a great price for the quality vegan products you’ll get.
- Ships worldwide: No matter where you live, you can get great vegan and cruelty-products delivered to your door.
- Vegan and cruelty-free: Sometimes finding beauty products that are both vegan and cruelty-free can be difficult. With this box, you won’t have to worry about doing all the research to find products yourself.
Petite Vour Cons
- No customization: This beauty box doesn’t offer custom options like some other boxes do.
- Vegan products only: While this can also be a pro for some people, the box is limited to what is on the market. This can make it difficult to get the kinds of products you need.
Best for Sample-Sized Products Box: Birchbox
Sample size beauty subscription boxes are a great way to try out new skincare and makeup products without investing in the full sized retail price. Until you know that a product works for your skin type, you might not want to drop $20 or more on a new product. Birchbox offers just sample-sized products, so you can find new products you’ll love.
For just $10, Birchbox sends a curated box of 5 different skincare, haircare, makeup and fragrance samples. Even though this company only sends sample sized products, the value of the average Birchbox contents is between $20-50.
- Affordable price: You can get lots of makeup products at a low price.
- Customization options: You can customize what you like, so Birchbox will be more likely to send products that suit your preferences.
- Physical retail store: This makes sign-up easy if you’d rather not do it online. If you’re near Soho, New York, you can subscribe to the box or shop full-size products of Beauty Box favorites.
- Limited shipping locations: This beauty box only ships to the US, Spain, France and the UK.
- Sample sizes only: While sample sizes are a great way to try new things, you’ll have to go purchase larger sizes quickly if you find something you want to keep using.
Best for Full-Size Products: Glossybox
Beauty products include makeup, skincare and fragrances. Boxes include luxury makeup and skincare products wrapped neatly with black paper inside cute pink glossy boxes.
This fun monthly subscription service sends five full-sized products for just $21 a month. Prices continue to drop if you pay for your yearly or bi-yearly plan in advance. You also have the option of purchasing a box just once instead of signing up for a recurring subscription.
- Full-sized products only: If you don’t like sample sizes, this box is for you.
- Luxury products: If you like to indulge in high-quality, luxury products, this is a great option. You’ll only get luxury items in your box.
- Variety of billing options: This beauty subscription box offers the largest variety of subscription and billing options. You can opt to be billed monthly, every 3 months, 6 months or 12 months. Longer subscriptions automatically include a discount.
- Different products in different countries: Boxes shipped to the U.S contain different beauty products than boxes shipped to Europe. Although this allows the box to focus on popular products available in your area, you’re limited on options if you see a product in a box from another area you love.
- Limited shipping area: This box is only available in the US and Europe.
Best Luxury Beauty Box: Play! by Sephora
Play! by Sephora is a beauty subscription service from the popular beauty retailer Sephora. Their beauty boxes come with five sample-sized products and a free additional surprise sample.
The Play! by Sephora beauty box costs $10/month and contains a mix of luxury and lower-end, sample-sized beauty items. Products include new and best-selling beauty products from Sephora including makeup, skincare, hair care and fragrance.
Play! by Sephora Pros
- Affordable price: The Play! by Sephora box offers a great box, so you can get some of your favorite items for a minuscule amount each month.
- Free bonus gift: Every month, you’ll get free gifts like collectible bags and free extra samples.
- Free online tutorials: Sometimes when you get a bunch of new products, it’s hard to tell how you’re supposed to use them. The Play! by Sephora box solves this for you by giving you online makeup tutorials.
Play! by Sephora Cons
- Limited shipping area: Right now, this box only ships to the US. However, Sephora is working to make the box available worldwide soon.
- No customization: You won’t be able to choose what kind of products you get each month.
- Sample size product only: If you like to get full-sized products, you’ll want to pick another box.
Best Professional Box: BeautyFIX by Dermstore
BeautyFIX by Dermstore is a monthly beauty subscription box that delivers a mixture of full size and sample size products. These beauty boxes are curated by industry professionals and include makeup, skincare, haircare, fragrance, wellness products and beauty tools.
Each box costs $24.95/month and contains 6+ products.
BeautyFIX by Dermstore Pros
- Amazing value: This is arguably the beauty box with the best value. The total value is always over $100.
- Different subscription options: BeautyFIX offers monthly subscription plans, annual billing options, and a one time purchase option.
- Full size and sample size products: This box will give you a good mix of sizes.
- Variety: This box has a larger variety of item types than other subscription boxes do.
BeautyFIX by Dermstore Cons:
- Limited availability: BeautyFIX is only available to customers in the US.
- No customization: If you want to pick what kinds of things that come in your box, you’ll need to choose a different box.
How to Choose the Best Beauty Subscription Box for You
If you’re considering signing up for a beauty subscription box, you’ll need to consider your individual preferences. Things to consider might include:
- How much value you’d like to get from your box
- If you want luxury products
- If you want vegan and cruelty-free products
- What kinds of beauty items you’d like to receive
- Whether you prefer sample sizes or full sizes
No matter what your beauty product preferences are, there’s a beauty box to meet your needs. The world of beauty subscription boxes offers it all.
When you’re trying to decide which box to sign up for, consider reading beauty subscription box reviews. Reviews give you honest feedback on the contents and value of the beauty box. We have individual reviews for our top five best beauty subscription boxes, so you can learn more about the boxes that seem best for your preferences.
How to Save Money Using a Beauty Subscription Box
If you’re a skincare and makeup lover, chances are that you’re dropping a lot of money at places like Sephora, Ulta Beauty and Target. Feeding a beauty addiction can get expensive.
The average woman will spend $15,000 on beauty products in her lifetime and spends about $43 per shopping trip on beauty products alone. That’s a lot of moisturizer and mascara!
How Beauty Subscription Boxes Save You Money
The cost of the average monthly beauty box is the same price as just one mid-range beauty product you would pay the full retail price for in stores. Beauty boxes come with 4-6 different makeup, skincare, hair care and body products. That’s a lot of swag for the price of one normal product.
Even sample size beauty subscription boxes can be worth the cost. The value inside beauty subscription boxes is usually 2-4 times the cost you actually pay. Beauty boxes that offer sample sized products are a convenient and affordable way to try out new products without even leaving your home. You can save even more money by racking up beauty points and getting special customer discounts on full-size products when you purchase them through your customer account.
Pick a Box in Your Usual Budget
It’s important to pick a beauty subscription box that fits within your usual beauty budget. If you stop by Sephora every weekend, you’ll love signing up for a beauty box like BeautyFIX or Glossybox. Luxury beauty boxes can be expensive, but they deliver only the best makeup, skincare and hair care brands.
If you want to keep your beauty budget around $20 a month or less, you’re in luck. Beauty subscription box options like Play! by Sephora and Petit Vour can help you stick to your budget while you still enjoy a variety of new beauty products.
5 Things to Consider Before Subscribing to Beauty Boxes
Just like the endless product options available in stores, you can choose from a variety of beauty subscription box options. Here are five things to consider to help you make the decision about whether a beauty box subscription is for you.
1.) Do You Want to Save Money on Beauty Products?
The thing about being a beauty addict is you feel like you NEED to try the latest and greatest products. Forbes recently revealed that young beauty consumers are on a journey of exploration. The trend in the $382 billion beauty industry has shifted from brand loyalty to brand variety.
Millennials are obsessed with finding new brands and new products to try. People also want to be able to Instagram the latest beauty obsession for the world to see.
But new, beautifully packaged beauty products are popping up every day, and trying them all can get ridiculously expensive. So what’s a beauty junkie or Instagram influencer to do? Luckily there’s an affordable solution. Beauty subscription boxes can give you the makeup and skincare fix you crave for a fraction of the price you’d spend in stores.
2.) Do You Like Trying New Products?
Beauty subscription boxes introduce you to new products you might not have tried on your own in stores. Getting a variety of products for essentially the price of one allows you to experiment with the latest beauty trends without racking up a steep bill. Your new favorite lip color might be waiting in your next beauty box.
It’s true you can sample products at stores like Sephora, but it’s hard to know if a skincare product is going to work for you unless you use it more than once. Buying multiple full-size products at the full retail price is an expensive way to find out what works and what doesn’t. A beauty subscription box lets you play around with the latest beauty trends for a fraction of the cost.
3.) Do You Like Full-Sized or Sample-Sized Products?
Beauty subscription boxes can cost anywhere from $10 to $50 a month, and they vary in value. Companies like Birchbox and Play! by Sephora send a mix of skincare and makeup samples for just $10 a month. Other companies like Glossybox send five full-sized beauty products for $21 a month. You can also choose a beauty subscription box like BeautyFIX or Petit Vour that send a mix of both full-size and sample-size products.
Deciding between a full-size or sample-size beauty subscription box is mostly a matter of personal preference. If you want a convenient way to try out new products before you buy, opt for a sample-size service.
Buzzfeed broke down the real value of beauty subscription boxes, and even the sample-size boxes delivered greater value than the cost to customers. Most sample-size boxes charge only $10 a month, but the value is often worth at least two to three times that amount. If you want a mix of full-size and sample-size luxury products, it’s hard to beat BeautyFIX.
4.) How Much Time Will You Save?
Have you ever spent hours browsing the beauty aisle? Shopping for a new moisturizer or lipstick can be a huge time suck. There are hundreds of product options to weed through in stores. It can be overwhelming, and you’re more likely to leave the store spending more than you budgeted for.
Beauty subscription boxes are worth it because they save you a lot of time. You can sample new products from the comfort of home, restock your favorite beauty items online and even rack up customer loyalty points that get you even more freebies!
You’ll also never have to stand in a ridiculously long check out line at Sephora again. Save yourself the time and frustration of dealing with overcrowded stores, time-wasted browsing and the temptation of overspending with a beauty subscription box instead.
5.) Would You Consider Re-Gifting?
You can save even more money by re-gifting the skincare and makeup products you don’t like. Beauty products preferences are personal. If you didn’t love the tropical smelling moisturizer that came in your last beauty box, someone else might.
Save any unwanted makeup and skincare products for a friend or family member’s next birthday or holiday gift. Use samples as stocking stuffers. Even the free totes that come with some beauty subscription boxes make cute small gifts.
Full-size products found in beauty subscription boxes are sold in stores and online for the full retail price. No one has to know it’s a rejected product from your last beauty box. It’s the thought that counts, right?
What Is Inside a Beauty Box
Most beauty subscription boxes deliver 4-6 different beauty products to your doorstep. Some services only send samples, while others send full-size products. You also have the option to choose a beauty box that comes with a mix of both.
Products include skin care, makeup, hair care, body care and even beauty tools. Here’s a quick breakdown of what’s inside the top 5 best beauty subscription boxes:
Birchbox: This beauty box delivers five sample size products. Products include hair care, makeup, skincare and fragrances. Examples of brands included are Jimmy Choo, MAC Cosmetics, Estee Lauder and Benefit.
BeautyFIX by Dermstore: BeautyFIX comes with six or more beauty items with a total value of over $100. Products include a mix of both sample and full-sized makeup, hair care, beauty tools, skincare, fragrances and wellness products. Examples of brands include Dr. Lancer, Tarte, Juice Beauty, NIA24, Klorene, HUM, and Skyn.
Play! by Sephora: This beauty box delivers five sample size products. Products include makeup, skincare and hair care. Examples of brands included are Marc Jacobs, Benefit and Kat Von D.
Petit Vour: This beauty box delivers a mix of four sample-sized and full-sized beauty products. Products include makeup, skincare and body care. Examples of brands included are Evolvh, Axiology, Andalou and Olverium.
Glossybox: This beauty box delivers five or six full-sized beauty products. Products include makeup, skincare, and hair care. Examples of brands included are Calvin Klein, Lancome, BCBGMAXAZRIA, Bvlgari, Estee Lauder and Redken.
5 Types of Beauty Box Subscription Options
All beauty subscription box services offer monthly subscriptions. This is the most common type of subscription and usually gives you the best price per box. While a one time purchase of a beauty box from BeautyFIX will cost you $34.95, signing up for a monthly subscription drops the price per box down to $24.95.
Some beauty box subscription services also offer additional discounts if you pay for the entire year in advance instead of paying monthly.
2.) Three Times a Year
Glossybox is one of the few beauty subscription boxes that offers a three-month plan. This plan allows you to pay for three beauty boxes up front and automatically renews your subscription when the new billing period starts.
3.) Twice a Year
Both Birchbox and Glossybox offer six-month subscription options that automatically bills your account every 6 months.
Glossybox offers a discount for billing in bulk every 6 months. Instead of paying $21/box, you’ll be paying about $18. Birchbox offers this convenient subscription option but doesn’t factor in an additional discount.
4.) Once a Year
A once-a-year subscription option means you pay for a full year of monthly beauty boxes in advance. All the beauty subscription box services we reviewed offer this type of payment plan. When you pay upfront for a full year of beauty boxes, you save about $1-10 per box, depending on the service you’re signed up with.
5.) One-Time Purchase
If you’re not sure you want to sign up for a recurring subscription, you can always choose to buy a single box instead.
Some beauty box services like BeautyFIX allow you to pay for the box outright without signing up for a recurring subscription. In most cases, you’ll be paying a little more for a one-time box than you would for a subscription.
With other services like Glossybox, Birchbox, Play! by Sephora and Petit Vour, you’ll have to sign up for a monthly subscription. You can cancel before the next billing cycle if you only want to try one beauty box.
Where to Sign Up for Beauty Subscription Boxes
The best place to sign up for beauty subscription boxes is online through the company’s website. After picking the best beauty subscription option for you, you can create a customer profile and customize your beauty preferences.
You’ll usually fill out a questionnaire and create a profile to make sure you receive products that fit your hair type, skin type and makeup preferences.
Birchbox also allows customers to add free samples of their choice or full-sized products for a discounted price to their beauty box before it ships. Play! by Sephora, Birchbox and Petit Voir give subscribers free beauty points with every box to use towards purchasing full-sized products through their customer accounts.
If you’re interested in signing up for a beauty box with Birchbox, Play! by Sephora or BeautyFix by Dermstore, you can check them out in stores. These beauty subscription services have physical retail locations where you can see the boxes in person and browse some of their best selling products.
If you’re interested in the best beauty subscription boxes, one of the best things to do is read reviews. Reviews will help you know if the box you’re looking at is the right option for you. Read our in-depth reviews of the best beauty subscription boxes to help you make up your mind.Read More