TurboTax is the gold standard of tax return software. It has one of the most well-known brands and comes with great interface features. Features include:
- Easy-to-use option with the power to handle complicated tax returns.
- Extra cost comes with extra features and a secure tax return.
- Visually appealing and intuitive design
If you want a premium tax software with style and substance and without compromise or fear of making a mistake, TurboTax is a great choice for you to consider. The product offers superior service, has a highly intuitive design and interface, utilizes a simple question and answer format for inputting information into your return and provides robust customer support options for those willing to pay. Read our full TurboTax review to learn if this is the best tax software option for you.
Our TurboTax review will go over the most important things you need to know if you’re considering this product.
TurboTax is a tax software originally developed by Chipsoft in the mid-1980s, which later merged with Intuit to become Intuit TurboTax in the 1990s. The product is the top-selling tax software on the market.
In fact, as of 2016, the software boasted over 30 million taxpayers who used its app. The software has grown as popular as it has by differentiating itself as a product which provides both style and substance without compromise.
TurboTax reviews have a lot of great things to talk about. Here are some of the best pros of this tax software:
- Easy to use: The tax software makes tax filing a breeze. By offering easy-to-understand explanations of what each section of your tax return requires from you, it makes any return, whether simple or complicated, easier to handle.
- Great user-focused design: TurboTax focuses on making an appealing interface to file your return. Simply put, the product has great design and flow. The whole experience is visually appealing. Whether it’s the software’s on-screen prompts offering simple-to-understand explanations or animating numbers when you change an item on your return, the user-focused design makes filing taxes more bearable.
- Worthwhile premium: Because the tax software can handle complicated returns well, it makes sense to pay the extra money to secure yourself a safe tax return. The tax software provides plenty of support to make sure your tax return is done right, something we can’t praise enough in TurboTax reviews.
Unfortunately, our TurboTax review also needs to go over the cons:
- Deceiving pricing: While the software offers a free federal version to file a 1040 and a state return for free, if you have anything outside of W-2 income and the standard deduction, prepare to meet a rude surprise when the price shoots up. However, if you know going in your return won’t be free, this shouldn’t come as a shock.
- Difficulty justifying the price with a simple return: If you don’t need the fancy add-ons or additional services TurboTax provides, the cost might not justify the benefits received on simple returns. Despite the sleek interface, if your tax return only has W-2 income and claims the standard deduction, it might be best to consider cheaper alternatives.
- More expensive than competitors: TurboTax is generally pricier than other tax software packages on the market. You might not need all the horsepower found beneath TurboTax’s hood.
Easy to Import Data
If your W-2 employer is one of TurboTax’s 1,000+ partners, the tax software allows you to import your W-2 directly into the program. And if that’s not enough, the tax software uses a great feature to take a picture of your W-2 and automatically inputs that information into your return.
This makes the tax preparation process all the easier to handle.Turbo Tax Details
Maximum Refund Guarantee
TurboTax reviews every detail of your tax return to make sure the information entered is correct. During the process, TurboTax prompts you with questions to see if you qualify for over 350 tax deductions and credits that could get you more money out of tax season.
In fact, the service will refund the applicable Turbo Tax federal and/or state money spent on paid versions if you find a better result from another tax preparation method.
Accuracy and Audit Support
If you pay an IRS or state penalty (or interest) because of an error that a TurboTax CPA or Tax Attorney made while providing topic-specific tax advice, section review or acting as a signed preparer for your return, the company will pay you an amount equal to the penalty and interest.
TurboTax also provides year-round audit support guidance from a tax professional by answering any questions you may have. If you have difficulty understanding why the IRS contacted you, TurboTax will assist.
Even as more people choose to do their own taxes, they still want the comfort of knowing there is a qualified professional available to answer their questions. A relatively new feature offered by TurboTax is called TurboTax Live. This offering provides a one-on-one review with a CPA or a tax professional before you file.
You can make an appointment at a time convenient for you to talk over the phone or via one-way video (you can see them, but they don’t see you). But be warned, upgrading can add $70 to $100 in cost.
TurboTax Review Conclusion
After our TurboTax review, we feel that this is the king of tax software. If you’re choosing to do your taxes by yourself, the tax software you choose should make the process easy. TurboTax does this well and makes it stand out from the crowd.
Whether you’re preparing a simple or complex tax return, TurboTax has you covered. It has one of the most well-known brands and comes equipped with sleek design and interface features you would want from a high-powered program. However, this functionality comes with a price. It is the most expensive option compared with other options. If your return has even a few complicated elements, you could easily spend over $100 on your federal and state returns.
If the features offered appeal to you and you can afford the premium pricing, TurboTax is the best tax software package for you. It is unquestionable TurboTax stands out from the pack.
Have you used this tax software? Leave your own TurboTax review below!
Submit your review