Progressive Car Insurance Review
Progressive is the third largest auto insurance provider in the U.S., serving 17 million people. We’ve rated this company as having the best overall insurance options except for families with teen drivers. Highlights include:
- Competitive pricing
- Large and small accident forgiveness
- Discounts such as safe driver, sign online, multi-car, good student and more
Progressive Car Insurance Review
Progressive is one of our top 5 picks for car insurance. We believe that this is the best all-around car insurance unless you have young drivers in your family. Progressive’s discount programs and excellent customer service help make this option a winner for many. Read our full Progressive car insurance review to see if this is the best option for you.
Progressive Car Insurance Overview
Progressive car insurance is a multi-disciplinary insurance company founded in 1937 and headquartered in Mayfield Village, Ohio. Best known for its car insurance, Progressive also provides life insurance, health insurance, travel insurance and more. Progressive is the third largest auto insurance provider in the U.S. and serving approximately 17 million people. Many people recognize Progressive from its advertising campaigns with the character Flo, who is pictured above.
We’ll go over the most important things you should know about this company in our full Progressive car insurance review. If you have more question, read our car insurance FAQ.
Progressive has many great benefits. Here are some of the favorites that we want to highlight in this Progressive car insurance review:
- 24/7 customer service: When you’re in an accident or have a problem with your bill, you want fast resolution and to talk to someone as quickly as possible. Progressive’s customer service is always available, something that contributes to many positive Progressive car insurance reviews.
- Accident forgiveness: This company offers accident forgiveness for both large and small accidents. Because some accidents are inevitable, accident forgiveness can help you keep good rates.
- Competitive pricing: Progressive offers competitive pricing that is great for many people.
- Discounts: Progressive offers many discounts such as safe driver, sign online, multi-car, good student and more
- Optional pet injury protection
Every company has some things that you might not like. This part of our Progressive car insurance review will go over some of the most important cons:
- Customer service complaints: Although Progressive’s customer service is available at any time, many Progressive car insurance reviews have complaints about customer service quality. Complaints can be common with big companies, however, so keep in mind that there are many positive Progressive car insurance reviews too.
- High rates for young drivers: Young drivers tend to be expensive to insure with any car insurance provider, but Progressive has particularly high rates for teens and young adult drivers.
- Limited availability: Unfortunately, Progressive is not available in all states. Even if you think that this is the perfect option for you, you may not be able to choose it if you don’t live in a place with coverage.
- Limited rental reimbursement: Rental reimbursement is only valid for 30 days. This can be unfortunate if your car repairs take longer than expected.
Progressive car insurance is not available nationwide. The below blue-shaded states represent the areas that Progressive covers:
One of the main things Progressive offers is liability coverage. This is required in most places, and this insurance is what covers you if you are at-fault in an accident. It includes bodily injury liability, which pays medical bills and lost income up to a certain point for someone you’ve injured. It also covers legal fees for court. Liability coverage also helps if you damage someone else’s car or property in an accident.
Coverage for You and Your Vehicle
Progressive has several types of coverage designed to protect you and your car if something were to happen.
- Collision Coverage: Collision coverage is what protects your car in an accident whether you were responsible for the accident or not. This insurance comes in if you hit a stationary object or get in an accident, but it doesn’t cover you if you hit an animal. If you purchase your car outright, collision insurance is not required. If you finance your car, however, most lenders will require this kind of insurance. If you have collision coverage and your pet is injured in an auto accident, Progressive will cover your vet bills up to a specified amount.
- Comprehensive Coverage: This form of car insurance covers everything outside of your control. It protects your car against fire, theft, vandalism, an accident involving an animal, broken windows and bad weather such as hail or flooding.
- Medical Payments: If you are injured in a car accident, medical payments coverage will pay for your injuries, funeral expenses and more. Medical payments can also cover your family members or passengers, regardless of who is at fault. Coverage isn’t limited to an accident that occurs while you are driving; it also applies if you or your family members are hit by a car while walking or riding a bike or are riding in another car that is involved in an accident.
- Uninsured/Underinsured Bodily Injury: This form of car insurance will pay for your medical bills if you are involved in an accident and the at-fault driver cannot pay. This could be either because they do not have car insurance or their policy is not high enough to fully cover your injuries. In addition to paying your medical bills, Progressive will also pay for your lost income as a result of the incident.
- Uninsured Motorist Property Damage: This form of car insurance covers your vehicle if someone hits you and cannot pay, either because they do not have insurance or their policy is not high enough to fully cover the damage. A deductible may apply on your end.
Additional Add-On Options
Progressive also provide several add-on forms of car insurance. The variety of coverage options reflects positively in Progressive car insurance reviews because you can find protection for what you consider most important.
- Custom parts and equipment value: If you have a customized car with features such as an aftermarket stereo system, navigation system, or grilles, Progressive can provide $1,000 of coverage under both collision and comprehensive coverage. If you have additional parts you would like to insure, you can purchase coverage additional coverage beyond $1,000.
- Lease payoff (a.k.a. gap insurance): When you purchase a new vehicle, its value depreciates the second you drive it off a lot. If you take out a loan to purchase the car and wreck the car within the first week, you will still be held responsible for the full amount of the loan, even though the reimbursement you receive from the insurance company will not value the car at the price you paid just one week prior. This is where gap insurance comes in. Gap insurance covers the difference in the cash you receive from the insurance payout and the amount still owed on the car loan. Progressive limits its gap insurance coverage to 25 percent over a vehicle’s actual cash value, but it’s worth it, as the average Progressive customer pays just $5 a month for this coverage.
- Pet injury: If your dog or cat is injured in a car accident, Progressive will pay for their veterinary bills. Pet injury coverage is included in your collision insurance, and you will still have to pay the deductible of your policy to be able to file a claim.
- Rental reimbursement: If you are involved in an accident and can no longer drive your car, you’ll need to find alternate methods of transportation. If you have a backup car, great. If not, you’ll need to rent one. Rental reimbursement covers the costs associated with renting a car until you get your own car back. Progressive’s rental reimbursement is only valid for 30 days, and coverage limits range from $30 to $50 a day.
- Rideshare Coverage: If you drive for Uber or Lyft, you may want to invest in rideshare coverage. This form of auto insurance covers you when you’re logged into a ridesharing app and waiting for a trip request or customer. Because rideshare companies usually offer limited or no coverage while you’re working for them, extra insurance can make a big difference if something happens.
- Roadside Assistance: Progressive’s Roadside Assistance will cover you if you get a flat tire, lock yourself out of your car, run out of gas or need other types of fluid delivered. This coverage will also pay for a towing service if your car breaks down and will tow you to the nearest repair facility within 15 miles.
Progressive provides a multitude of discount options.
- Automatic payment: Don’t want to pay in full upfront? Consider signing up for automatic payments. Discounts vary, but you will receive a small percentage off your monthly rate.
- Good student: Good grades pay off! If you add a student with a GPA of 3.0 or better to your insurance plan, you’ll get an additional discount. If you have a student age 22 or younger in college and more than 100 miles from your residence, you can get an additional discount.
- Homeowner: Own a house? You’ll get a discount! This discount applies even if your home is not insured through Progressive. Average discount: 10 percent.
- Multi-car: If you have more than one vehicle on your policy, you can save big. You don’t have to own the car yourself. It can belong to your spouse, family member, roommate and so on. As long as the car is primarily kept at your residence, the discount will qualify. The average discount is 10 percent.
- Multi-policy discount: If you have two or more insurance policies with Progressive, you are eligible for a discount. The average bundle discount is 5 percent.
- Online quotes: Simply get an online quote and have a Progressive representative finish your package over the phone and save up to 7 percent.
- Paperless: Go green. When you opt to receive your car insurance documents online, you’ll get additional savings.
- Pay in full: If you pay your six-month policy in full up front, you’re eligible for an additional discount.
- Safe driver discount: Stay accident and traffic violation free for three years and earn nearly 1/3 off your policy price! This is one of Progressive’s best discounts, with average savings of 31 percent.
- Sign online: This is one of the easiest discounts you can get. Sign your documents online and you can earn nearly 8 percent off your car insurance.
- Teen driver: Many people worry about adding a teen driver, as it typically increases your monthly premiums. Progressive has a teen driver discount that will actually help you offset the cost if the driver is 18 years of age or younger.
Progressive Snapshot Program
Progressive’s Snapshot is a device (and mobile app) that tracks your driving habits such as mileage, braking habits and time of the day you drive.
Drivers who exhibit safe habits will receive discounts on their premiums. You’ll get an automatic discount just for signing up (discounts average $25). After approximately six months of proven safe driving, you’ll be eligible for an additional discount. This discount averages $130. However, be careful, as Snapshot can also be used to increase your premiums if you are deemed an unsafe driver. According to Progressive, 2 in 10 drivers receive an increase to their premiums due to unsafe driving.
Small Accident Forgiveness
Progressive won’t raise your rate if you file a claim less than $500.
Large Accident Forgiveness
If you are a Progressive customer for at least five years with an accident-free three years, your rate will not increase if you have an accident.
Progressive Car Insurance Review Conclusion
After our full Progressive car insurance review, we are impressed with Progressive’s competitive prices and are most impressed with its discount options. There’s something for everyone. We also appreciate its small and large accident forgiveness program, as one incident shouldn’t impact your car insurance rates for years.
Unfortunately, Progressive is not available in all 50 states, which is why it ranked lower on our list of best car insurance options. If you do reside in an area covered by Progressive and are looking for car insurance, we recommend getting a quote to see if the prices are what you’re looking for.
Have you used Progressive? If so, leave your own Progressive car insurance review below.
Submit your review