Trupanion Pet Insurance Review
Trupanion covers both dogs and cats. It differentiates itself from other insurance companies by paying 90% of veterinary costs for eligible claims once the deductible for the condition is met. Features include:
- Deductible options
- Optional add-on benefits
- Option to pay vet directly
Trupanion Pet Insurance Review
Trupanion is a pet health insurance company that covers dogs and cats. This company is our pick for the best longterm pet insurance. Unlike some other pet insurance companies, Trupanion’s premiums don’t increase as your pet gets older. Read our Trupanion review to see if this is the best insurance company for your pets.
One Pet Insurance Plan
Trupanion differentiates itself from other pet insurance companies through its policies.
While most pet insurance providers offer varying deductibles and premiums, Trupanion has one plan. The company pays 90 percent of veterinary costs for eligible claims once you meet the deductible for that condition.
This insurance company can also pay your veterinarian directly, so you don’t have to worry about filing a claim later.
Trupanion’s deductibles are per-condition and per-lifetime. Once you’ve paid the deductible for a specific condition, you never have to pay a deductible again for that condition. Also, if your pet is injured or sick multiple times with different issues, you will pay more in deductibles than you would with another provider.
Typically a per-condition deductible is more expensive than other plans, but that’s not always the case. If your pet has a chronic condition but is otherwise healthy, you won’t have to pay an annual deductible for that condition.View More Information
Trupanion has a lot of positive aspects. Here are some of the most notable ones:
- 90 percent reimbursement with no payout limits: A 90 percent reimbursement speaks for itself. Ten percent is much easier for most families to pay.
- 30-day money-back guarantee: All good companies should stand behind their products. Trupanion is no exception. If you decide within the first 30 days that you no longer want pet insurance, the company will refund your money.
- A BBB rating: BBB ratings help you know how satisfied customers are. A positive rating shows that the company works to resolve any issues that come up.
- Optional add-on benefits: Some dogs need special services like acupuncture, physical therapy, hydrotherapy, and behavioral therapy. If you adopt a breed that is known to be aggressive or suffer from anxiety, you may want to add behavioral therapy to your plan. Similarly, a highly active dog that is prone to accidents may need physical therapy or hydrotherapy for an injury. Not all pet insurance plans offer these add-on benefits.
- Unlimited annual limit option: When pet insurance companies talk about payout limits, they mean the maximum amount of money they will pay you. Trupanion will not cap your reimbursement or put your coverage on hold because of their unlimited option.
- US, Canada, and Puerto Rico Coverage: While your premiums are affected by the city you reside in, veterinary care is not. Your pet has coverage if something comes up as long as you’re in the US, Canada, or Puerto Rico.
Here are some disadvantages that you should know about before signing up with Trupanion:
- $35 administration fee: The fee covers your initial account set up and monthly billing costs. It’s the only administrative fee you will pay.
- Higher premiums: Trupanion may have more expensive monthly premiums depending on where you live. If you want to find the lowest monthly premium, get quotes from other companies.
- No wellness plan: Trupanion doesn’t cover things pet owners should expect. Therefore, health plans from Trupanion do not include exam fees and preventative care.
- Premium increases: Trupanion will not raise your premium as your pet ages. However, your rates may increase for other reasons like vet inflation costs.
- Upper age limit: Pets are not eligible for enrollment after their fourteenth birthday.
- Waiting periods: Policies have a five-day waiting period for injuries and a 30-day waiting period for illnesses. However, the length of the waiting period is on par or better than other pet insurance providers.
- 30-day free look period: This is a money-back guarantee to help you know for sure if this is the right insurance plan for your pet.
- Claims: You must submit a claim within 90 days of treatment. Trupanion pays within 60 days.
- Coverage transference: If you become sick or are no longer able to care for your pet, you can transfer your Trupanion policy to a new owner.
- Direct payment to the veterinarian: Trupanion offers the option to cut out the middleman (in this case, you) and pay the vet directly. You don’t have to worry about submitting claims forms and being reimbursed later. Ask your preferred vet in advance to make sure the vet is willing to do this.
- Exam period: none.
- Optional Dental Coverage: You can add dental plans if you want to protect your pet’s teeth.
- Per-incident deductible: Most pet insurance companies have an annual deductible, meaning you pay a fixed amount each year. Trupanion’s per-incident deductible means you have to pay a deductible for each new illness or injury. You could have to pay toward multiple deductibles in a year.
- Underwriter: American Pet Insurance Company.
Trupanion has several pre-existing conditions. These include the following:
- Illnesses or injuries that had evidence of existence within the 18 months before the policy start date, including those that are not in medical records.
- Injuries or illnesses that were controlled or treated at any time within the 18 months before the policy start.
- Costs during the 18 months before policy start and 30 days after the policy’s start for cataracts, luxating patella, elbow dysplasia, glaucoma, entropion, cherry eye, ectropion, and issues with the cranial cruciate ligament.
- Hip dysplasia if it had any signs before the policy’s start.
- Illnesses or injuries that are caused by certain activities. This applies if a similar activity happened twice within the 18 months before policy enforcement. For example, these activities could include biting and eating non-food items.
- Treatment cost for any subcutaneous or cutaneous mass(es) that are present in the 18 months before or 30 days after the policy start date.
- Cost of intervertebral disc disease if the issue had any signs of potential problems before the policy.
A Trupanion review would not be complete without a list of what is and what is not covered by this pet insurance company.
What Is Covered
- Alternative therapies (optional)
- Congenital conditions
- Diagnostic tests
- Extra coverage for breeding dogs (optional)
- Hereditary conditions
- Hospital stays
- Prosthetic devices and carts
What Is Not Covered
- Exam fees
- Pre-existing conditions
- Wellness and preventative care
Optional Coverage Add-Ons
You can select add-on packages if you want more coverage.
Pet Owner Assistance Add-On Package
Trupanion’s Pet Owner Assistance package costs an extra $4.95/month. This option includes these added benefits:
- Advertising and reward for lost pets
- Boarding fees if you are hospitalized
- Costs of vacation cancellation
- Cremation or burial for deaths caused by an accident
- Liability coverage if your pet damages a third party’s property
Recovery and Complementary Care Rider
The price of the Recovery and Complementary Care Rider package varies. However, this plan will never cost more than $30 on top of the regular plan. With this option, you get the added benefits of:
- Behavioral modification
- Chiropractic care
- Physical therapy
- Rehabilitative therapy
Trupanion’s waiting periods are in line with pet insurance company competitors and are as follows:
- 30 days: Illnesses
- 5 days: Injuries
Sample Rates by Breed
Trupanion’s monthly premiums vary based on several factors, including your pet’s breed, age, and location. Below are sample rates across a variety of breeds and ages.
To get more specific rates, get a quote from Trupanion.
|Breed||German Shepherd||Mixed-Breed Cat||Labrador Retriever||Yorkshire Terrier|
|Age||2 Years||4 Years||4 Months||6 Months|
|Location||Los Angeles (Zip code: 90010)||Miami (Zip code: 33114)||New York City (Zip code: 10005)||Chicago (Zip code: 60604)|
This pet insurance company has a standard 90 percent reimbursement across all plans. You can also choose an optional deductible of $0 to $1,000 and unlimited annual limit.
Trupanion Review Conclusion
Trupanion has an excellent history of customer service. We also like the option of having the company pay the veterinarian directly. The add-on options are another benefit, as is the unlimited annual limit.
After our thorough Trupanion review, we consider this a great option for pet insurance. Get a quote to find out more.
Do you have Trupanion as your pet insurance company? Leave a Trupanion review below!