Trupanion Pet Insurance Review
Trupanion is a pet health insurance company that covers both dogs and cats. It differentiates itself from other pet insurance companies in its payment structure: The company pays 90 percent of veterinary costs for eligible claims (once the deductible for that condition is met). They also have the option to pay your veterinarian directly so you don’t even have to worry about filing a claim later. Additional benefits include:
- Optional add-on benefits that cover acupuncture, physical therapy, hydrotherapy, behavioral therapy and more
- Deductible options $0 to $1,000 and unlimited annual limit
- Hip dysplasia has no age restrictions.
Trupanion Pet Insurance Review
Trupanion is a pet health insurance company that covers both dogs and cats. It is our pick for Best Longterm Pet Insurance. Unlike some other pet insurance companies, Trupanion’s premiums don’t increase as your pet gets older, so if you are looking to insure your pet for life and don’t want to be burdoned with rising costs due to age, we recommend Trupanion Pet Insurance.
One Pet Insurance Plan
Trupanion differentiates itself from other pet insurance companies through its policies. While most pet insurance providers offer varying deductibles and premiums, Trupanion just one simple plan: the company pays 90 percent of veterinary costs for eligible claims (once the deductible for that condition is met). They also have the option to pay your veterinarian directly so you don’t even have to worry about filing a claim later.
Per Condition Deductible
Trupanion’s deductibles are per condition and per lifetime. This means that once the deductible has been paid for a specific condition, you never have to pay a deductible again for that condition. That being said, if your pet is injured or sick multiple times with differing conditions, you will end up paying more in deductibles than you would with another pet insurance provider. Typically a per-condition deductible is more expensive than other plans, but that’s not always the case. If your pet has a chronic condition but is otherwise healthy, you won’t have to pay an annual deductible for that condition.
- 90 percent reimbursement with no payout limits: A 90 percent reimbursement speaks for itself. No matter how expensive your veterinary bills may be, you will only be held responsible for paying ten percent.
- Unlimited annual limit option: When pet insurance companies talk about payout limits, they are talking about the maximum amount of money they are willing to pay you. Once you hit your annual reimbursement limit, your pet insurance coverage will be put on hold until your policy anniversary. At this point, the limit resets. Trupanion differs by offering an unlimited option, meaning they will not cap your reimbursement or put your coverage on hold.
- Optional add-on benefits that cover acupuncture, physical therapy, hydrotherapy, behavioral therapy and more: If you adopt a breed that is known to be aggressive or suffer from anxiety, you may want to add behavioral therapy to your plan. Similarly, if you have a highly active breed that is prone to accident, perhaps you’ll want to add physical therapy or hydrotherapy in case he becomes injured. Not all pet insurance plans offer these add-on benefits.
- BBB rating: A: A BBB A rating is important as it further illustrates customer satisfaction and in an unbiased way. In a sense, it’s a “proven” customer satisfaction score. According to the Better Business Bureau, “BBB ratings represent the BBB’s opinion of how the business is likely to interact with its customers. The BBB rating is based on information BBB is able to obtain about the business, including complaints received from the public. BBB seeks and uses information directly from businesses and from public data sources.”
- 30-day money back guarantee: All good companies should stand behind its products, and Trupanion is no exception. If you decide within the first 30-days of your pet insurance policy that you no longer want to pay monthly premiums or decide for any other reason you would rather not cover your pet with pet insurance, Trupanion will refund your money.
- Pet is covered in the U.S., Canada and Puerto Rico: While your premiums are affected by the city you reside in, your veterinary care is not. If you decide to bring your pet with you on vacation or road trips, rest assured that he will be covered should an accident or illness arise.
- Considered more expensive than competitors: Price is important when selecting a pet insurance plan, but it’s not the most important factor. Depending on where you reside, Trupanion may have more expensive monthly premiums. If you want to find the lowest monthly premium, Trupanion is not the best pet insurance plan for you.
- $35 administration fee: It’s a negligible fee, but worth mentioning. The fee covers your initial account set up, as well as monthly billing costs. It is the only administrative fee you will encounter for the lifetime of your policy.
- Policies have a five-day waiting period for injuries and 30-day waiting period for illnesses: When adopting a pet, we recommend enrolling in pet insurance immediately, as accidents can happen at any time. Unfortunately, most pet insurance plans have a waiting period, and Trupanion is no exception. Some waiting periods are as little as two-days for injuries, so while the existence of the policy is a con, the length of the waiting period is on par or better than other pet insurance providers.
- Allow up to a 20 percent increase in premiums from year to year, depending on where you live: Trupanion will not raise your premium due to your pet’s age, but this does not mean your premiums will remain constant for life. Veterinary inflation costs can cause your premiums to increase and can go up by 20 percent a year. However, this is standard for all pet insurance companies.
- Upper age limit: Pets are not eligible for enrollment after their fourteenth birthday
- No wellness plan and does not cover exam fees: As Trupanion explains on its website, “We have made a deliberate choice not to cover wellness and preventive care. Our philosophy is, why should we charge you extra for something that you can expect? When you can budget for wellness care costs, it doesn’t make sense to pay a middleman more to give that same benefit back to you.”
- Underwriter: American Pet Insurance Company (same as PetsBest)
- A.M. Best rating: Unrated
- Per-incident deductible: Most pet insurance companies have an annual deductible, meaning you pay a fixed amount each year. Trupanion’s per-incident deductible means you have to pay a deductible for each new illness or injury your pet encounters. This means you could end up paying multiple deductibles a year.
- No exam period
- Trupanion excludes pre-existing conditions, which it defines as:
- “Illnesses or injuries for which signs or evidence of their potential manifestation existed within the 18 months prior to the policy enrollment date.
- “Illnesses or injuries masked or controlled by treatment or medication at any time during the 18 months prior to the policy enrollment date.
- “Illnesses or injuries that occurred or began within the 18 months prior to the policy enrollment date and would have been observable or reasonably known to be present by you or your veterinarian or that are evidenced by the presence of typical signs, even if they are not noted in your pet’s medical records.
- “The actual cost of treatment for the following if signs or evidence presented on either side of your pet during the period 18 months prior to the policy enrollment date through to and including the 30 days after the policy enrollment date: luxating patella, glaucoma, entropion, ectropion, elbow dysplasia, cataracts, prolapse of the tear gland of the third eyelid (cherry eye), and disease, weakness, instability, tear, partial tear or rupture of the cranial cruciate ligament.
- “Hip dysplasia if there was any sign or evidence of the potential manifestation of the condition any time prior to the policy enrollment date or if the condition was reasonably known to be present by you, even if not noted in your pet’s medical records.
- “Illnesses or injuries that arise from a repetitive and specific activity that leads to medical or surgical treatment of your pet (e.g., ingestion of foreign materials and bite wounds) if the same or similar activity occurred two times within the 18 month period prior to the policy enrollment date.
- “The actual cost of treatment for any cutaneous or subcutaneous mass if cutaneous or subcutaneous mass(es) of the same type (determined by diagnostic testing or medical records descriptions) are present during the 18 months prior to the policy enrollment date through to and including the 30 days after the policy enrollment date.
- “The actual cost of treatment relating to intervertebral disc disease if there was any sign or evidence of the potential manifestation of it in any part of the spine prior to the policy enrollment date or during any applicable waiting periods.”
- Must be submitted within 90 days of the treatment date
- Paid within 60 days
- Direct payment to veterinarian: Trupanion offers the option to cut out the middle man (in this case, you) and pay the vet directly. This way you don’t have to worry about submitting claims forms and being reimbursed later. This option is not available at all vets, so make sure to ask in advance should you want to use this benefit.
- 30-day free look period
- Dental coverage (optional)
- Coverage transference: If you become sick or are no longer able to care for your pet, you can transfer your Trupanion policy to a new owner.
What Is Covered
- Hereditary conditions
- Congenital conditions
- Diagnostic tests
- Hospital stays
- Prosthetic devices and carts
- Alternative therapies (optional)
- Extra coverage for breeding dogs (optional)
What Is Not Covered
- Pre-existing conditions
- Exam fees
- Wellness and preventative care
Optional Coverage Add-Ons
Trupanion provides optional add-on packages, including:
Pet Owner Assistance Add-On Package
The Pet Owner Assistance package costs $4.95/month in addition to the core plan premium. It gives the added benefits of:
- Boarding fees in the event you are hospitalized
- Liability coverage for third-party property damage
- Holiday vacation cancellation costs
- Cremation or burial for deaths due to an accident
- Advertising and reward for lost pet
Recovery and Complementary Care Rider
The Recovery and Complementary Care Rider package varies but will never cost more than $30 in addition to the core plan premium. It provides the added benefits of:
- Physical and rehabilitative therapy
- Behavioral modification
Truplan’s waiting periods are in line with pet insurance company competitors and are as follows:
- 30 days: Illnesses
- 5 days: Injuries
Sample Rates by Breed
Trupanion’s monthly premiums vary based on a number of factors, including your pet’s breed, age and location. Below are sample rates across a variety of breeds and ages. To get an exact quote for your pet, get a quote from Trupanion.
|Breed||Labrador Retriever||German Shepherd||Yorkshire Terrier||Mixed Breed Cat|
|Age||4 Months||2 Years||6 Months||4 Years|
|Location||New York City (Zip code: 10005)||Los Angeles (Zip code: 90010)||Chicago (Zip code: 60604)||Miami (Zip code: 33114)|
|Price Per Month||$115.07||$108.28||$48.29||$42.69|
Trupanion has a standard 90 percent reimbursement across all plans, with an optional deductible of $0 to $1,000 and unlimited annual limit.
Trupanion has an excellent history of customer service, and we like the option of having the company pay the veterinarian directly. Its add-on options are another benefit, as is the unlimited annual limit.
Submit your review
Sent in records. They did not respond sent again. Nothing. Vet sent in. Nothing. They claimed they did not have them. Sent again. Repeatedly. Vet sent again. Our costs were piling up. Sent again. Called. Vet sent also. By mail and by FAX. Nothing. Time passed. More expenses. Records sent again. Nothing. At 11 months, vet’s bulling person called them. Went over all the records. Was told they never received. Baloney. A week and a half later, “Ooops.” Found them. We finally received many checks for each claim. Over $1100 we had been waiting so long for. Our vet told us we were not alone. Others of her patients went through the same thing. The last claim they have was October 20. It is now December and our battle has begun again. We got Healthy Paw for our third dog. Wishing we had done that for all. No claim forms. Photo invoice and send. About a week later the check arrives. We live them. Trupanion is a criminal racket.