Healthy Paws Pet Insurance Review
Healthy Paws is a pet insurance provider that covers dogs and cats for new accidents and illnesses, including cancer, emergency care, genetic conditions and alternative care. Highlights include:
- Rated A+ by the Better Business Bureau
- 99 percent of claims are processed in two days.
- History of excellent customer service
- Allows for an annual deductible
- Unlimited lifetime benefits. If anything happens to you, your pet’s coverage will not end.
Healthy Paws Pet Insurance Review
If you’re in the market for pet insurance, Healthy Paws is our top pick for Best Overall Pet Insurance thanks to its comprehensive coverage, strong customer service ratings, competitive pricing, and variety of plans.
Founded in 2009, Healthy Paws Pet Insurance and Foundation is a pet insurance company that provides coverage for dogs and cats.
Pet Insurance Plans
Health Paws’s pet insurance plans cover new accidents and illnesses, including cancer, emergency care, genetic conditions and alternative care.
It also offers an annual deductible as opposed to a per-incident deductible, which is generally cheaper. Its unlimited lifetime benefits is another huge win in our book. With unlimited lifetime benefits, you can rest assured that should anything happen to you, your pet will still be well cared for.
The company is rated A+ by the Better Business Bureau and has a proven history of top-notch customer service.
If you ever need to contact a company’s customer service team, it’s likely because something went wrong and you need it solved quickly, efficiently, and in a pleasant manner. A good customer service team can help ensure a pleasant experience even during the most unpleasant of times.
- 99 percent of claims are processed in two days: This is faster than many competitors, which can take up to 60 days!
- You can use any licensed vet – there’s no in-network requirement: Just like human health insurance, you want to be able to visit the doctor you want to visit, not one you’re required to. If you have a vet that you love, feel free to continue using him worry free. Plus, if you’re traveling and have a sudden emergency, you’re free to visit any veterinarian or emergency veterinary center as opposed to having to research one that’s in-network.
- There are no caps on annual or lifetime payouts: This benefit speaks for itself. Why should your pet’s illness or emergency have a cap?
- In the event you are unable to care for your pets for any reason (including death), Healthy Paws will continue to provide coverage: Rest assured that should anything happen to you, your pet’s coverage will continue.
- Annual deductible (vs. per incident): Annual deductible’s are typically cheaper than per incident. Imagine your cat tore her ACL and required surgery, then became ill with colitis, and then was diagnosed with feline leukemia. Not only would this be heartbreaking, but expensive, as you’d have to pay three deductibles under certain providers. Thankfully, Healthy Paws only has an annual deductible, meaning in this unfortunate scenario, you would only have to pay one deductible.
- Unlimited lifetime coverage means no annual or per incident limits on claims: We like limitless claims. If you’re paying monthly fees for health insurance, it’s not to know your claims won’t be capped at a certain point.
- Competitive pricing when compared to the competition: Price is important when selecting a pet insurance plan. Not only does Healthy Paws offer excellent customer service, great service, and a variety of plans, but it won’t charge you an arm and a leg for coverage!
- Your pet is covered when they travel with you in the United States or Canada: While your premiums are affected by the city you reside in, your veterinary care is not. If you decide to bring your pet with you on vacation or road trips, rest assured that he will be covered should an accident or illness arises.
- High customer satisfaction scores: This is crucial. Most people call customer service when an issue arises, and are already stressed and unhappy. With pet insurance, it’s likely because your pet is sick, which is certainly a stressful time. Can you imagine then having to deal with a rude or inefficient representative? Healthy Paws’ high customer satisfaction score show that customers are pleased with the service they receive (and often during stressful times). You can think of these scores as referrals. If existing clients are happy, then clearly Health Paws is doing something right.
- The Healthy Paws mobile app makes submitting a claim easy and allows for fast reimbursement: Health Paws had done away with paperwork and allows you to submit a claim directly through its app. This makes the claims process super fast and simple, so you can focus on your pet’s health rather than administrative needs.
- BBB rating: A+: A BBB A+ rating is important as it further illustrates customer satisfaction and in an unbiased way. In a sense, it’s a “proven” score. According to the Better Business Bureau, “BBB ratings represent the BBB’s opinion of how the business is likely to interact with its customers. The BBB rating is based on information BBB is able to obtain about the business, including complaints received from the public. BBB seeks and uses information directly from businesses and from public data sources.”
- Direct deposit or check reimbursement: Do you remember how great it was when tax returns were able to be directly deposited into your bank account? Gone are the days of having to wait for a physical check and then go to the bank to deposit it. Not only does Healthy Paws process claims within two days, but it cna automatically reimburse you via direct deposit so you can get your money even faster.
- Veterinary exam fees and behavioral therapies are not covered: While Healthy Paws does offer comprehensive plans, should your pet require behavioral therapy for conditions such as aggression or anxiety, it will not be covered. Other providers do cover behavioral therapy, so if you think this is a need your pet will have, Healthy Paws will not be the best pet insurance provider for you.
- Hip dysplasia is not covered for all animals, nor is it covered immediately: While Healthy Paws does cover hip dysplasia, it only does so for animals enrolled in pet insurance before the age of six. There is also a 12-month waiting period for hip dysplasia, no matter what the age of enrollment.
- Healthy Paws has age restrictions: If your pet is older than six, they must be examined by a vet within the past 30 days for enrollment or within 15 days of policy issuance. Additionally, pets older than eight are subject to 60 percent reimbursement and a $750 annual deductible.
- There is a 15-day waiting period for accident and illness: When adopting a pet, we recommend enrolling in pet insurance immediately, as accidents can happen at any time. Unfortunately, most pet insurance plans have a wait period, and Healthy Paws is no exception.
- No wellness plan: A wellness plan is a plan that reimburses you for various routine and preventative care expenses such as annual visits, vaccines, and more. Healthy Paws limits its coverage to accidents and illness, and will not cover routine exams. Some pet insurance providers do, so if this is something you’re looking for, then Healthy Paws is not the best pet insurance provider for you.
- Charges a one-time $25 administrative fee: It’s a negligible fee, but worth mentioning. The fee covers your initial account set up, as well as monthly billing costs. It is the only administrative fee you will encounter for the lifetime of your policy.
- Underwriter: ACE Property and Casualty (Chubb)
- A.M. Best rating: A++
- Exam period:
- Dogs under the age of six must have visited a vet within the last 12 months or within 15 days of policy issuance.
- Dogs older than six years old must have been to the vet within the last 30 days or within 15 days of policy issuance.
- Pre-existing conditions defined by Healthy Paws:
- Illness or the recurrence of any illness or condition which first occurred or displayed any signs and/or symptoms consistent with the stated illness or condition prior to the pet policy effective date
- An injury or recurrence of an injury that occurred prior to the pet policy effective date
- Any condition or complication resulting from an illness or injury that occurred prior to the pet policy effective date
- 99 percent of claims are processed within two days: Reimbursement checks are generally issued within 24 hours of processing and can be delivered via direct deposit or paper checks.
- Policy transfer: Healthy Paws will continue coverage for your pet should you become unable to care for the pet or die. The policy can be transferred to the new owner without a lapse in coverage. The new policyholder will pay the same amount as you did, and there will be no newly added pre-existing conditions.
- 30-day free look period: This is akin to a money-back guarantee.
What Is Covered
- Prescription medications
- Diagnostic treatment and testing (like x-rays, blood tests, ultrasounds and so on)
- Congenital conditions
- Hereditary conditions
- Chronic conditions
- Specialty care
- Emergency care
- Alternative treatments
What Is Not Covered
- Pre-existing conditions
- Anal gland expression
- Flea treatments
- Heartworm medications
- Nail trimming
- Dental care (with the exception of damage to teeth caused by an accident)
- Spaying and neutering
- Routine veterinary exam fees
- Pre-existing ligament problems
- Parasite control (both internal and external)
To help mitigate fraudulent claims, Healthy Paws enacts a waiting period. This is to prevent someone from enrolling in pet insurance the day their pet is injured. There are no waiting periods in Maryland or New Hampshire, but the remaining states are as follows:
- 15 days: Illnesses and accidents
- 15 days: Cruciate ligament events
- 12 months: Hip dysplasia
Sample Rates by Breed
As different breeds tend to have different ailments and injury, Healthy Paws’s rates vary. Other factors that can cause differences in rates include location and age of your pet. Below are sample rates for common breeds. To get an exact quote for your pet, search Healthy Paws.
|Breed||Labrador Retriever||English Cocker Spaniel||German Shepherd||Yorkshire Terrier||Yorkshire Terrier||Yorkshire Terrier||Mixed Breed Cat|
|Age||2 years||8 years||4 years||6 years||2 months||2 months||2 years|
(zip code: 33601)
(zip code: 60290)
(zip code: 90001)
(zip code: 10001)
(zip code: 10001)
(zip code: 33601)
(zip code: 20001)
|Price Per Month||$38.84||$53.08||$57.84||$55.55||$31.55||$28.02||$19.30|
Reimbursement rates and annual deductible amounts vary based upon the age of your pet at enrollment.
- Dogs and cats five years old and under:
- 90, 80 or 70 percent reimbursement
- $100, $250 and $500 deductible
- Dogs and cats six and seven years old:
- 80, 70 or 60 percent reimbursement
- $250, $500 or $750 deductible
- Dogs eight years old and older:
- 60 percent reimbursement
- $750 deductible
Healthy Paws has an excellent history of customer service and – unlike some pet insurance companies – covers hereditary conditions, including hip dysplasia. Its rates are competitive, and it offers the option to pay an annual deductible rather than pay per incident like many of its competitors. It also offers unlimited lifetime benefits.
Plus, every time you get a quote from Healthy Paws, the company donates money to a homeless pet in need. What could be better?
Submit your review