Osprey Packs Farpoint 40 Travel Backpack Review
This top choice from Osprey is perfect for adventure travelers seeking a lightweight, durable pack. Features include:
- Carry-on sized bag
- Front panel opening for easy access
- Two available sizes
Osprey Packs Farpoint 40 Travel Backpack Review
One of the best travel backpacks available is the Osprey Farpoint 40. Time and time again, the Osprey Farpoint packs have been ranked as one of the best travel options, and it’s easy to see why. Read our full Osprey Farpoint review to learn more.
Osprey Farpoint 40 Overview
This backpack is an excellent option for almost anyone.
The Osprey comes in four sizes:
The Osprey Fairpoint 40L is our favorite because it’s the only bag in the collection that fits airline carry-on regulations. If you’re an adventure traveler, you likely hate checking bags. This bag will be an excellent alternative to checked luggage.
The Osprey Farpoint 40 comes in two different models: S/M and M/L.
This bag has a LightWire frame suspension system that helps distribute the weight from the harness to the hip belt. It features a mesh back panel to help you stay ventilated and coo and mesh on the harness and hip belt to reduce chafing.
The exterior of the bag features a zippered front panel (for those items you need to access easily) as well as sewn attachment points you can use to attach extra gear.
In our opinion, no other company in the market specializes in travel backpacks as well as Osprey does.
Initially known as Santa Cruz Recreational Packs, Osprey is a backpack manufacturer that has been around for over 40 years. The company’s initial goal was to make “more comfortable, longer lasting and functionally sound packs” and they have succeeded.
Osprey was founded by Mike Pfotenhauer in 1974 when he opened his first retail shop in front of his rental home. He catered to backpackers and travelers (most of whom found him through word of mouth), and each pack was custom-fitted and made to order. Mike constructed all of the backpacks himself.
Now, the legacy continues with high-quality bags designed with travelers in mind.
This backpack has some excellent advantages to keep in mind as you shop:
- Comfortable design: This bag is comfortable to carry, regardless of how much you put inside.
- Customizable sizes: Not every traveler has the same needs, so people will appreciate having different sizes to choose from (S/M or M/L). The smaller size is perfect for shorter people and has a weight limit of 37 lbs. The larger size caters well to people with long torsos and can hold up to 40 pounds.
- Durable materials: These bags were built to last. The zippers, materials, and fabrics are all high-quality.
- Mesh panel: The back panel, harness, and hip belt have mesh, which reduces chafing and improves ventilation.
- Lifetime Warranty: Osprey’s All Mighty Guarantee will repair any defected product regardless of when you bought it. If your item is damaged beyond repair, Osprey will send you a new bag for free.
Unfortunately, this bag also has some disadvantages:
- Few organization options: This pack features one main compartment to store your goods. If you prefer bags that have multiple pockets to keep you organized, you may not like this option. However, we don’t find this to be a negative for the majority of travelers. You can invest in packing cubes or other options to make your bag more organized.
- Front compartment: If you fill the main compartment to the max, it results in limited space in the front compartment.
- Colors: Volcanic Grey, Caribbean Blue, and Jasper Red
- Dimensions: 21 in x 14 in x 9 in
- Laptop compartment size: 15″
- Manufacturing country: Vietnam (previously USA)
- Weight of S/M pack: 3 lbs/1.75 oz
- Weight of M/L pack: 3 lbs/2.7 oz
- Weight limit M/L pack: 40 lbs.
- Weight limit S/M pack: 38 lbs.
The bag is made of a material called 210D Nylon Mini Hex Diamond Ripstop.
It’s a lightweight, incredibly durable fabric that can take a beating, which is what you need in a good travel backpack. The material is resistant to tears and rips and is also water resistant (although not waterproof). If you get caught in the rain, you should be fine. However, if your kayak flips, you may be in trouble.
Osprey Farpoint 40 Product Features
Osprey’s Farpoint 40 is perfect for weekend getaways in the city, the country, the desert, or wherever your travel desires dictate.
See the features that make this backpack a winner.
Front Compression Straps
The pack features dual front compression straps for extra stability. While the interior compression straps are great for helping you pack a few additional items, the exterior ones are ideal for securing everything in place.
If you like to keep your student ID handy for discounts to museums and other cultural exhibits, you can use the ID slot to make it simple to pull out your card.
Laptop/Medium Sized Compartment
The front of the Farpoint 40 features a small, zippered front panel that you can use to store notebooks, tablets, and a laptop (as long as it is 15” or under). This compartment is lockable so you won’t have to worry about pickpockets.
As we noted earlier, however, if you stuff the pack too full, space in this compartment will be limited. Additionally, if you have an old, heavy laptop, it will offset the weight distribution of the bag a bit.
Large Main Compartment
On its website, Osprey sums up the Farpoint 40 well by saying you can carry this bag like a backpack but pack it like a suitcase.
It features one large, main compartment for you to pack your travel goods and has two internal compression straps to help secure (and compress) your items. If you need to add an extra sweater, down jacket, or boots, these straps can help.
LightWire Frame Suspension System
This system was created to make carrying a heavy pack as seamless as possible by transferring the weight from the back harness into the hip belt.
Need to bring a travel water bottle?
The Osprey 40 has mesh pockets perfect for carrying it.
Notches for Zipper Locks
If you’re staying in a hostel or worried about someone stealing your stuff, Osprey has you covered. You can stick a lock in the zippers without a problem.
Handles are located on top and side of the pack to help you lift it. The handles are padded to give you extra support.
This pack features a back panel, hip belt, and harness system. All are intended to make carrying the backpack more comfortable, but what happens when you need to check your bag or condense the size of the bag so that it easily fits in an overhead bin on a plane, train, or other?
You remove the entire system to make room!
The warranty is one of our favorite things about Osprey.
Osprey wants its products to last a lifetime and stands behind its goal with an All Mighty Guarantee. Launched in 2009, this lifetime warranty promises to repair any defective product regardless if you bought it in 1974 or yesterday.
If the item is unrepairable, Osprey will replace it free of charge.
Osprey Farpoint 40 Review Conclusion
We absolutely love Osprey travel packs, and the Farpoint 40 is our top choice for people seeking an easy-to-carry, lightweight, travel backpack.
We love that this bag has a LightWire frame suspension system that transfers the bulk of the weight from your back to your hips. The removable back panel adds flexibility to travels, and this pack can easily fit in the overhead compartment of an airplane. Finally, if anything happens to the bag, you’ll be protected by the warranty.
Does this sound like the bag for you? Get the Osprey Farpoint 40 online.
Do you have this bag? Leave your own Osprey Farpoint 40 review below.