Netgear EX3800 Review
The Netgear EX3800 is a mid-range WiFi extender that extends the range of your WiFi signal. It supports WiFi speeds up to 750 Mbps and is dual-band and compatible with Wireless-AC technology. Highlights include:
- Good overall range and speed
- Passthrough wall plug design
- Extra ethernet port
- Cheaper than competitors
Netgear EX3800 Review
If you’ve ever wondered “why do I need a WiFi booster for my home, let us illustrate with an example. Have you ever tried streaming a YouTube video only to find the video takes forever to load and won’t stop buffering? If so, you may need faster WiFi. One option is to call your WiFi provider and upgrade your package. But, there’s a more affordable option that’s just as effective: a WiFi booster.
What is a WiFi Booster and How Does it Work?
A WiFi booster works by taking the WiFi signal from your router and then rebroadcasting it to dead zones in your house: areas where the WiFi is either too slow or nonexistent. WiFi boosters not only provides WiFi to these dead zones but also speed up the WiFi connection. With so many options of WiFi routers out there, we’ve chosen our favorites.
The Netgear EX3800 is one of our favorite WiFi extenders and our vote for The Best WiFi Extender For The Price. Basically, it’s our favorite “cheap” WiFi booster. The Netgear EX3800 is a mid-range WiFi extender that seamlessly extends the range of your signal. It supports WiFi speeds up to 750 Mbps and is dual-band and compatible with Wireless-AC technology, which is the latest standard for wireless. Plus, setup is fast and easy, and the Netgear EX3800 plugs directly into an electrical socket.
- Quality: Good overall range and speed
- Simple design: Passthrough wall plug design
- Ethernet access: Features an extra ethernet port
- Price: Significantly more affordable than other WiFi extenders on the market
- No smartphone required: Some of the WiFi boosters we looked at can only be set up via smartphone. While this is okay for most people, if you don’t have a smartphone you won’t be able to set it up. This WiFi booster is perfect for everyone, regardless of the type of phone you have.
- Optional analytics app: Netgear’s analytics app allows you to monitor the strength of your WiFi signal. It also lets you check your network status and signal strength. Plus, you can use it to identify crowded WiFi channels (this is beneficial if you have multiple WiFi users).
- Multiple WiFi access points (or hotspots): The Netgear EX3800 enables you to create hotspots via its Gigabit Ethernet port. This is useful if you want to create separate WiFi networks for kids or guests.
- Netgear Genie: Required setup of Netgear Genie in order to operate
- Looks: Not as aesthetically pleasing as others; while some WiFi extenders are sleek and unobtrusive, this one is not.
- Range: While the unit provides “good” overall range and speed, it is not as far-reaching as some of the other WiFi extenders we reviewed. If you have a home that is more than 3,000 square feet, or wish to extend WiFi coverage to other buildings on your property, you should look at the eero WiFi Booster or Netgear Orbi instead.
WiFi Tech and Range
- AC750 (300 Mbps+450 Mbps)†
- Dual Band 2.4 & 5GHz
Number of Ethernet Ports
- One (1) 10/100 Ethernet port with auto-sensing technology
Number of USB ports
- Not applicable
- Dual-band WiFi up to 750Mbps
- Supports new 802.11ac & b/g/n WiFi devices
- Convenient wall-plug design with extra noise-filtered power outlet
- Works with any WiFi router
Ease of Use
- CD-less setup—Great for mobile devices
- Push ‘N’ Connect using Wi-Fi Protected Setup® (WPS)1
- WiFi Protected Access® (WPA/WPA2-PSK) and WEP
- AC750 WiFi Range Extender (EX3800)
- Quick start guide
- Dimensions: 114 x 64 x 44.5 mm (4.5 x 2.5 x 1.75 in)
- Weight: 192 g (0.42 lb)
- IEEE® 802.11 b/g/n 2.4GHz
- IEEE. 802.11 a/n/ac 5GHz
- One (1) 10/100Mbps Fast Ethernet port with auto-sensing technology
- 2.4 and/or 5GHz 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac wireless router or gateway
- Microsoft® Internet Explorer 8.0, Firefox® 20 or Safari® 5.1 or Google Chrome 25.0 browsers or higher
The EX3700has two external antennas, enabling it to provide enhanced WiFi coverage. It also allows the option to create new WiFi access points (or hotspots) through its wired Gigabit Ethernet port. Why would you need this? If you Airbnb your house or want to set up a separate network for your children or guests, this is how you would do it. The extra ethernet port also enables you to connect your device directly if you want to do so for gaming or streaming purposes. You can plug your smart TVs and game consoles into the Ethernet port to build a wireless bridge to your WiFi network. Have a printer? You can plug that in as well.
Additionally, Netgear also provides an analytics app, which allows you to monitor the strength of your WiFi signal. It enables you to check your network status and signal strength. It also enables you to identify crowded WiFi channels, which is beneficial if you have multiple WiFi users.
How Do You Set It Up?
Like most of the WiFi extenders on our favorites list, the Netgear EX3800 is easy to set up, no matter how tech savvy you may be. You simply plug it in and synch to your router by pressing the WPS button on the extender and then on your router. It will take approximately thirty seconds for the two to connect.
Initial setup of the Netgear EX3800 is straightforward enough. Just plug it in and press the WPS. Once they connect, you will need to login to the WiFi extender. In order to do this, you will need to connect to its network and visit www.mywifiext.net. At this point, you will need to create a Netgear Genie account, which in our opinion is one of the drawbacks of the Netgear EX3800. While we love the functionality of the product, we don’t like the fact that you have to sign up for Netgear Genie service in order to access the product. Once you set up an account and sign in, you can access the Settings page and finish setting up your WiFi extender. The page is easy to understand and will enable you to set up the extender and extend both WiFi bands, as well as change their names and passwords if you wish.
The Netgear EX3800 is backed by a limited 1-year hardware warranty, which is standard for WiFi boosters. Netgear also provides 24/7 basic technical support for the first 90 days, as long as you purchase it from an authorized Netgear reseller.
The Netgear EX3800 is an affordable WiFI booster that enables you to extend your WiFi to dead spots and slow areas of your home. It is easy to set up and delivers strong WiFi speeds. Plus, its passthrough wall socket design means you won’t have to sacrifice an outlet. Our only negative of this unit is that we don’t find it as visually pleasing as some of the others we reviewed. However, if this isn’t a deterrent for you and you want a cheap way to strengthen your WiFi signal, this could be the WiFi extender for you.
Submit your review