Liberty Mutual Car Insurance Review
Liberty Mutual Insurance Group is a diversified insurance provider based in Boston, Massachusetts. Founded in 1912, it provides several types of insurance, including auto insurance. Highlights include:
- Minimum coverage policies are cheaper than most competitors.
- Optional accident forgiveness add-on package prevents your premiums from going up as a result of an accident.
- Teachers’ Auto Insurance package offers free add-on benefits for teachers.
Liberty Mutual Car Insurance Review
If you’re looking for great car insurance, Liberty Mutual may be the option for you. After our thorough Liberty Mutual car insurance review, we feel that this company is the best “All-in-One” insurance provider. We also feel like this company offers the best car insurance options for teachers. To learn if this is the insurance provider for you, read our full Liberty Mutual car insurance review.
Liberty Mutual Car Insurance Overview
Liberty Mutual Insurance Group is a diversified insurance provider based in Boston, Massachusetts. Founded in 1912, it provides property insurance, auto insurance, life insurance, pet insurance and several other smaller lines of insurance such as identity theft, small business and more. It is the seventh largest auto insurance company in the U.S. and our choice for Best “All in One” Insurance Provider (And Best Car Insurance For Teachers). If you are looking for one insurance company to fit all of your needs, you can’t beat Liberty Mutual. We’ll go over the most important things you need to know about this company in our Libert Mutual car insurance review.
“Only Human” Perspective
You may recognize the car insurance company thanks to its The company’s logo is an image of the “Only Human” advertising campaign. The campaign shows that people making ordinary driving mistakes that result in accidents. Many Liberty Mutual car insurance reviews talk about how helpful this perspective is when something goes wrong.
Discounts and Add-Ons
Liberty Mutual Insurance’s car insurance can be broken down into three main categories: for you, for others and for your car, and there are several add-on packages. The company offers more discount options than any other auto insurance provider. There’s a discount for just about everyone.
Financial and Satisfaction Ratings
A.M. Best rated Liberty Mutual Insurance’s financial strength as “excellent,” which is important as this rating indicates how well a company can pay claims.
J.D. Power’s 2017 U.S. Insurance Shopping Study ranked Liberty Mutual “better than most” for overall purchase experience for auto insurance, and among “the rest” for overall satisfaction in J.D. Power’s 2017 Auto Claims Satisfaction Study.
Liberty Mutual has many great positives. We’ll go over a few of our favorites in this part of our Liberty Mutual car insurance review:
- 12-Month Policy: Some auto policies are written for six months and others for twelve. Liberty Mutual is twelve. This is beneficial, as it reduces the frequency of your premiums going up.
- Accident forgiveness: Optional accident forgiveness add-on package prevents your premiums from going up as a result of an accident.
- Competitive pricing: Minimum coverage policies with Liberty Mutual are cheaper than most competitors.
- Deductible fund: If you add this feature to your auto insurance policy, Liberty Mutual will automatically reduce your collision deductible by $100. The company will then reduce it by another $100 for every subsequent year. If you’re in an accident, your deductible will not increase.
- Easy-to-use app: Liberty Mutual’s app is easy to use and allows you to file and track claims, pay bills and view documents whenever you’d like. If you are involved in an accident, you can log in to the app to submit photos and call for emergency roadside assistance.
- MexPro: If you’re planning a road trip to Mexico, you’ll need additional coverage from an authorized Mexico insurer. Liberty Mutual partners with MexPro for all of your coverage needs.
- Teacher discounts: The Teachers’ Auto Insurance package offers free add-on benefits for teachers including protection against personal property damage, vandalism and collision coverage if an accident occurs while you are driving for school-related needs.
Unfortunately, every company has some downsides. Here’s some to be aware of when you read Liberty Mutual car insurance reviews:
- Can be expensive: Liberty Mutual’s target market is multi-car households. If you do not fit this niche and are seeking comprehensive coverage, its premiums can be higher than competitors.
- Limited accident forgiveness: Accident forgiveness is not available in California. If this is an important add-on for you, you’ll need to find a different insurance provider.
- Limited add-ons: While Liberty Mutual provides auto insurance coverage to all 50 states, add-on packages are not available everywhere.
- Young driver coverage: Teenage driver policies are more expensive than competitors.
Liberty Mutual Insurance offers three standard auto policies. We’ll go over the basics of their coverage options in this section of our Liberty Mutual car insurance review.
Liberty Mutual Insurance’s For You package covers medical costs should you be injured in an accident. Specifically, it covers:
- Bereavement costs
- Legal fees
- Lost income
- Medical expenses, including the initial hospital stay, emergency room bills, the ambulance ride to the hospital and other reasonable medical expenses
- Pain and suffering
Liberty Mutual Insurance’s For Others package protects the non-fault driver (or drivers) should you cause an accident. It has three key packages.
This form of liability insurance is legally required in all states, although minimum monetary requirements vary. If you cause an accident, this insurance package covers the injured party or parties for:
- Bereavement costs
- Legal fees
- Lost income
- Medical expenses
- Pain and suffering
If you damage someone else’s property with your car, this form of insurance will cover the costs of repair or replacement. Examples include:
- Garden walls
Your Passengers’ Well-Being
If your passengers are injured in a car accident that is your fault, this form of insurance will cover the initial medical costs, including:
- Ambulance transportation to a hospital
- Emergency room fees
- Initial hospital stay
- Other accident-related expenses
Liberty Mutual Insurance has two main auto insurance packages (collision insurance and comprehensive insurance), as well as several add-ons that can be purchased for an additional cost.
This insurance option repairs or replaces your car when it’s damaged in collisions with another vehicle or object. This includes damage caused by another car or a stationary object, such as a tree or guardrail.
This insurance coverage repairs or replaces your car when it’s damaged in an incident other than a collision, such as hail, vandalization, fire or theft.
- Accident Forgiveness: Your rates will not increase as a result of your first accident. This add-on is not available in all states, so talk to an agent to see if this option is available to you.
- Better Car Replacement: Liberty Mutual Insurance will reimburse you for a car one year newer than your existing car (and with 15,000 fewer miles on it) if you total your car.
- Deductible Fund: Liberty Mutual’s deductible fund is akin to a savings plan that both you and Liberty Mutual contribute to. When you add this feature to your plan, Liberty Mutual will reduce your collision deductible by $100. The company will continue to reduce your deductible by $100 every subsequent year. If you’re involved in an accident, your deductible fund will be used to pay your deductible, and your deductible still will not increase.
- Lifetime Repair Guarantee: Liberty Mutual Insurance will guarantee the repairs for as long as you own your car at select approved facilities. You are not required to use facilities in Liberty’s network, but we recommend it due to the lifetime repair guarantee. This is something that many Liberty Mutual car insurance reviews talk about as being a huge benefit in times of need.
- New Car Replacement: If your car is totaled in the first year and first 15,000 miles, Liberty Mutual Insurance will reimburse the cost of a new car, not just the depreciated value!
- Rental Car Reimbursement: If your car is damaged and you choose to have it repaired at an in-network repair facility, Liberty Mutual will cover the cost of a rental car until your car is fixed, no matter how long it takes.
- Teachers’ Auto Insurance: This is a unique package that is free for teachers, and one of the reasons we recommend Liberty Mutual for educators. With the vandalism protection, you will not have to pay a deductible if your car is vandalized during school-related events or on school property. Also, if your teaching materials or school-owned property are stolen or damaged while in your car, Liberty Mutual Insurance will reimburse you up to $2,500 per occurrence. Finally, if you are driving your car for school business and are involved in an accident, you will not have to pay a deductible if your car is damaged.
Liberty Mutual offers several great features. Our Liberty Mutual car insurance review will summarize these available features.
Liberty Mutual Insurance offers multiple discount options to help save you money on your car insurance. Discounts include:
- Good student discount: If you are under the age of 26 and maintain a minimum of a B average, you are eligible for special savings
- Green discount: If you have a hybrid or electric car, you are eligible for a green discount.
- Group savings: Liberty Mutual partners with hundreds of groups including employers, alumni organizations and more. If you are a member of one of these groups, you may be eligible for additional discounts.
- Multi-car discount: If you insure more than one car on the same policy, you could be eligible for a multi-car discount. Plus, it’s much easier to have all of your cars insured on the same policy.
- Multi-policy discount: If you purchase both home and auto insurance through Liberty Mutual, you are eligible for special savings.
- New move discount: Liberty Mutual wants to make your moving process as easy as possible and offers discounts when you update your policy with your new address.
- Online purchase discount: If you purchase your car insurance online, you could be eligible for a discount.
- Payment discounts: Liberty Mutual offers special savings if you pay your car insurance bill in full or sign up for automatic payments.
- Vehicle safety features discount: If your car has standard safety features, you could be eligible for a discount. Standard safety features include (but are not limited to): Anti-theft and anti-lock brakes, electronic stability control, a backup camera and adaptive headlights.
Liberty Mutual Insurance also has a RightTrack program, which can provide additional discounts. In order to participate, you will need to install a small device in your car to monitor your driving habits. This device will track how many miles you drive, what times you drive and any rapid acceleration or braking. After approximately 90 days of monitoring your driving, you will receive a discount on your policy that could be as high as 30% off.
Liberty Mutual Car Insurance Review Conclusion
After our Liberty Mutual car insurance review, we feel like this is a great option for many. If you are a teacher and need car insurance, Liberty Mutual Insurance is our number one choice due to its free add-on packages for educators. Additionally, if you are seeking a minimum coverage policy, we also recommend Liberty Mutual, as its minimum coverage is cheaper than most competitors. Likewise, if you drive a hybrid, you should get a quote from Liberty Mutual and see how it compares to competitors, as not all car insurance companies provide a green driving discount.
That being said, Liberty Mutual Insurance’s auto insurance does not offer the best auto insurance packages for everyone. While the packages are competitive in pricing for most people, they are not available in all states. If you live in California, you are not eligible for accident forgiveness. Massachusetts and Rhode Island residents are exempt from the Lifetime Repair Guarantee add-on. Additionally, if you are a teenage driver, you will likely pay higher premiums than you would with other car insurance providers.
Overall, we’ve found Liberty Mutual to be a great option. If you’d like to learn more about this car insurance choice, visit the company’s website to get a quote and learn more.
Have you used Liberty Mutual? If so, leave your own Liberty Mutual car insurance review below.