D-Link DAP-1520 Review
The D-Link DAP-1520 is perfect for non-techies looking for a simple way to extend their WiFi coverage throughout their home. Features include:
- Affordable price
- Easy setup and use
- Small, non-obtrusive design
D-Link DAP-1520 Review
If you live in a multi-story house or a large apartment, you might have spots where the WiFi can’t reach because of a slow internet connection or interference. A WiFi booster can help with these problems. If you need a simple WiFi extender instead of something more complicated, read our D-Link DAP-1520 review to see if this is the right option for you.
D-Link DAP-1520 Overview
A WiFi booster takes the WiFi signal from your router and then rebroadcasts it to dead zones in your house. The D-Link WiFi Dual Band Range Extender DAP-1520 (D-Link DAP-1520) has our vote for The Best WiFi Extender for Non-Techies. It’s a breeze to install, easy to use, and doesn’t have unnecessary features that non-tech savvy people won’t use.
The D-Link DAP-1520 extends your existing 11N or 11AC network coverage farther than your router can on its own. It is perfect for people looking for a simple WiFi extender without a lot of bells and whistles. Read our full D-Link DAP-1520 review to see if this is the best WiFi booster for your needs.
Our D-Link DAP-1520 review has a lot of positive things to say, which is why we consider this one of our top WiFi extenders. Here are some of the most notable pros:
- Affordable price: This device is more affordable than other WiFi extenders on the market
- Broad compatibility: The D-Link DAP-1520 is compatible with almost every wireless router brand.
- Easy use: This tool is easy to use and set up.
- Fast speed: This WiFi extender can get speeds up to 750 Mbps (300 Mbps -2.4GHz and 433 Mbps – 5GHz).
- Small size: The D-Link WiFi extender is small in design. When you plug it into a wall outlet, and you’ll hardly know it’s there.
Our D-Link DAP-1520 review also has some negatives to go over:
- Basic extender: The D-Link unit is a simple WiFi extender. It does not feature all the latest technology like some WiFi extenders or mesh units on the market. If you are looking for something with automatic updates, or voice controls, this isn’t it.
- Limited range: Internal antennas limit the range on this device. If you have a large home or are looking for a WiFi extender that can extend WiFi coverage outside of your home to your yard, guest home, or pool house, you’ll want to go with a different option.
- No audio inputs: Some WiFi extenders act as speakers and enable you to stream music. This one does not.
- No Ethernet ports: The D-Link WiFi extender does not have any Ethernet ports, so you cannot connect it to a smart TV, gaming console, or other devices.
- No network bridging functionality: If this is a feature you are looking for, you should pick a mesh system.
- No USB inputs: This extender focuses on simplicity, so it doesn’t come with USB inputs.
- Antennas: Two internal antennas
- Certifications: FCC, Wi-Fi®, IC, CE, C-tick, EMI/EMC, and UL
- Device Management: Web UI supports QRS Mobile app for iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, and Android mobile devices
- Dimensions :3.62” x 2.28” x 1.35” (92 x 58 x 34.2mm)
- LEDs: Status/WPS
- Security: Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA, WPA2)®, Wi-Fi Protected Setup™ (WPS), and WEP 64/128-bit encryption
- Standards: IEEE 802.11ac, IEEE 802.11n, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.11b, and IEEE 802.11a
- Weight: 3.67 oz (104g)
- Wireless standard: Wireless AC
- Wireless speed: 300 Mbps 2.4 GHz and 433 Mbps 5 GHz
The D-Link DAP-1520 offers several features. This section of our D-Link DAP-1520 review will go over some of the more useful features in more detail.
Dual Band Performance
Dual-band technology helps prevent other wireless signals in the home (like baby monitors, microwave currencies, and cordless phones) from interfering with your network.
Plug it into any outlet in your home and increase the range of your network.
The D-Link DAP-1520 features throughput of up to 750Mbps (300 Mbps on 2.4GHz and 433 Mbps on 5GHz). It is a simple and straightforward WiFi extender that will increase coverage throughout your home.
Next Generation AC750 Technology
The D-Link DAP-1520 will increase the speed, range, and reliability of your WiFi.
Not everyone likes the way WiFi systems look. The D-Link DAP-1520 is small but strong, so it won’t be offensive to the eye. It’s incredibly easy to set up and perfect for everyone regardless of tech comfort level.
Plug it in any wall socket near your router, and you’ll immediately extend the range of our router’s coverage area.
To help you get the most out of our D-Link DAP-1520 review, we’ve included setup instructions.
- Plug in the unit close to the router. At this point, you want to set it up, so don’t worry about finding an optimum location yet. You can relocate the extender later.
- Open the wireless utility tab on your computer or mobile device. Select the name of the D-Link unit (SSID) network and enter the password. Both of these are on the WiFi configuration card included with your system.
- Open a new webpage. Enter the following IP address: http://192.168.0.50
- Enter username. The default username is Admin. You will be prompted for a password, but leave it blank. Click “Login.”
- Click the tab that says “Setup Wizard.” Then click “Next.”
- Select the configuration method. Click the first option to do it automatically or the second option if you wish to set up your network manually. Once you have selected your preference, click “Next.”
- View the list of wireless networks. Find the one you want to use as your uplink (source) on the list and click on it. Then click “Select.”
- Enter the password for your uplink network. Click “Next.”
- Wait for the extender to rebroadcast your network. An SSID and password will automatically generate for the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz networks.
- View the summary page. Now that your setup is final, you should see a summary page. This page will show the settings for both the connection to the uplink router and your extended Wi-Fi network. Make sure you click “Save.”
- Check the “Current Status” page. If you see a green checkmark between the Uplink Router and D-Link icons, the installation was a success. Your WiFi is now stronger and extended throughout your home.
Where to Position Your D-Link DAP-1520
Once you have configured your WiFi extender, figure out where to position it. Ideally, you want it close enough so your router will pick up a strong signal and extend that signal toward all areas of your home.
Typically, the best place will be near your router and in the center of your home.
The D-Link DAP-1520 has a one-year limited warranty. The company warrants that the product will be free from material defects for one year from the date of the original purchase. The warranty includes:
- Power supplies and fans
- Spare parts and spare kits for 90 days
D-Link DAP-1520 Review Conclusion
After our D-Link DAP-1520 review, we think this is an affordable, simple WiFi extender that is perfect for non-techies looking for a simple way to extend their WiFi coverage throughout their home. This booster doesn’t have a lot of bells and whistles, which is good for people who don’t want a complex system.
If you are tech savvy and want a WiFi extender that has advanced features like file sharing, audio streaming, and the ability to set up a hardwired access point, this is not best WiFi extender for you. Additionally, this unit is best for apartments and small to mid-sized homes. If you are looking for a WiFi extender to cover a large house or are, consider a different option. But if you’re looking for a simple solution, it’s hard to go wrong with the D-Link DAP-1520.
Do you use this WiFi system? If so, leave your own D-Link DAP-1520 review below.
Submit your review