The weather’s warming up, and swimsuit season is almost here! Luckily, celebrity trainer Tracy Anderson is here to get our winter bodies ready for the beach with these seriously toning leg exercises. If you haven’t tried the Tracy Anderson Method yet, stick with these leg exercises for a week, and you’ll likely be a devoted follower. Her targeted exercises are designed to quickly whip into shape “trouble zones” most women can’t seem to slim down.
The lower stomach, hips, butt and arms are all areas women typically have trouble tightening. Anderson’s workout movesare deliberately designed to exhaust targeted muscles in order to properly tighten and pull in loose skin. With devoted (and seriously fit) celebrity clients like Gwyneth Paltrow, Jennifer Lopez and Tracee Ellis Ross, it’s obvious her exercise plans really work. They also work quickly.
Anderson focuses on creating exercise moves that balance women’s bodies. Her routines are designed to be done for 10 days straight before moving on to a new sequence. This way, your body continues to build strength and definition without plateauing. “My mission has always been to research, create and share tools that help women create balance in their bodies so they can create balance in their life,” Anderson says.
If you’re willing to push through the pain, you’ll see real results in as little as a week. You’re legs will be burning! But the muscle you gain will be worth it.
According to Anderson, if you can’t seem to tone your upper legs no matter how hard you work out, it’s likely you’re focusing too much on lunges and squats. While classic moves like squats can tone your legs, they focus on large muscle groups like your quads and neglect your smaller muscle groups. Simply toning large muscle groups can actually make your legs look bigger. These five leg exercises target your smaller (and often weaker) muscles forcing them them to join the workout.
The result is long, lean, more balanced upper legs.
For summer-ready legs, do 30 reps of each of the following leg exercises on one side, then repeat the sequence on the other side. For best results, follow up with at least 30 minutes of cardio.
1.) Bridge Hold with Alternating Kicks
1. Sit with knees bent, flat on the floor and palms on the floor on either side of butt.
2. Lift hips and extend arm.
3. Kick right leg out to the side with inner thigh facing up.
4. Lower right foot to the floor then kick left leg up.
5. Return to step 3 and repeat.
2.) Inner Thigh Tap Out
1. Sit with knees bent, feet flat on the floor, and palms on the floor on either side of the butt.
2. Lift butt and raise left arm.
3. Extend right leg out diagonally to the side and tap floor.
4. Bring right leg back in, then cross right ankle over left ankle.
5. Return to step 4 and continue tapping and crossing for 30 reps.
3.) On-Side Leg Pulse
1. Lie on your left side with your torso face-down, palms on the floor, elbows bent and left knee pulled into chest.
2. Extend right leg straight out and lift it about 6 inches off the floor.
3. Lift right leg even more, until it is about parallel with your torso.
4. Lower your leg back to step 3.
5. Continue pulsing for 30 reps.
4.) Step-Up Kick and Rest
1. Start in child’s pose.
2. Lift up into a kneeling lunge, placing left foot flat on the floor, let arms hang at your sides.
3. Push into left foot to come to standing, then immediately kick up right leg, toes pointed.
4. Reversemotion back to step 3 and repeat.
5.) Quick Tempo Side Kick
1. Kneel, then lean to the left, placing left palm on the floor, extending right arm straight up and lifting right knee off the floor.
2. Kick right leg out to the side.
3. Return to step 3 and repeat.
Tracy Anderson Community
For more leg exercises and support on your fitness journey, follow Tracy Anderson on instagram and join the #TAMILY.
#TAMILY is the Tracy Anderson community that started on Instagram three years ago and already has over 235,000 posts.
“The #TAMILY is about being on the journey together. We aren’t solely sharing our fitness journeys but our collective life experiences. People from all around the world are connecting, learning about each other’s stories, passions and perspectives. Even in this political climate, it’s remained a place of respect and tolerance. They agree to disagree in pursuit of supporting each other, which is a testament to the purity of their bond,” Tracy shared in a recent Forbes interview.
Tracy checks and responds to followers on #TAMILY daily.
If you’re interested in trying a full-length Tracy Anderson workout ,you’ll have to sign up for an account on her website. With a monthly membership, you’ll get access to online streaming workouts of Tracy teaching a class in one of her studios. The workouts are an hour long and change every week.
You can also buy workouts that focus on toning your specific body type in her Metamorphosis program. The Metamorphosis program is broken into four different programs. Glutecentric is for those who gain weight mostly in their butt and upper thighs. Hipcentric is for those who gain weight mostly in their upper hips and thighs. Abcentric is for those who gain most of their weight in their middle section, and Omnicentric is for those who gain weight evenly (lucky them).
For optimal (and fast) results, Tracy recommends 30 minutes of mat work and 30 minutes of cardio, six days a week. I’ve been doing the Tracy Anderson Method on and off for over two years, and while six days a week will have you competing with supermodels on body measurements, incorporating her workouts even just twice a week (like I do) is enough to get toning results.
For more leg exercises, check out these calf toning exercises for women or try Tracy’s quick workout below:
Will you take these exercises out for a spin? Let us know in the comments what your fitness struggles are and what you hope to get help with.