Can you name these dog breeds?
We all have our favorite type of dog breeds. Challenge your knowledge on man's best friend with our dog breed quiz.
1. They are an ancient breed that was once treated like royalty.
Pugs were bred to be companions to royalty. They were considered a royal dog in China. They were owned by aristocrats and thought of as a precious gift, rather than sold to foreign countries rulers.
2. What breed does this little from the United Kingdom belong to?
The Norwich Terrier originated in the United Kingdom. It was bred to hunt small rodents. They have a friendly personality and a great companion dog.
3. What breed is this ball of wrinkles?
Thousand of years ago in China, the Shar Pei was thought of as a peasant’s dog. They were used on farms to herd, guard or hunt. They are a smart dog who is also strong.
4. They have the longest ears and a heart just as big?
The Basset Hounds is one of the most familiar dog breeds. Bred for their gift of scent, they are a very curious breed. They are great companion dogs for families because of their calm tempers.
5. Can you name the breed of these balls of fluff?
The Pomeranian is in the toy dog breeds. This breed use to weigh as much as 30 pounds! They are a great dog for older people. Due to their size, they aren’t recommended for anyone with small children.
6. What Terrier breed is this dog?
The Airedale Terrier was one of the first police dogs in Great Britain and Germany. It is known as the, “King of Terriers” since it is the largest of the terrier breeds.
7. This breed is a natural hunter?
The Weimaraner is great at hunting birds. When they are puppies, they have light blue eyes. When they grow up their eyes turn either amber or gray-blue color.
8. This smart dog belongs to what breed?
Border Collies are very smart. They herd livestock, most known for sheep. When put to work, they are the happiest. They are very smart and athletic dogs.
9. This dog breed looks like giant sheep?
Old English Sheepdogs are from England. They are a herding dog. They are smart and very loving dogs.
10. These dogs are known as a gentle giant?
The are a large dog filled with sweetness. They make a great family pet.
11. These adorable dogs are a Japanese bred?
The Shiba Inu is a hunting dog from Japan. They are a small dog that is very agile.
12. This breed belongs to a fearless breed?
Developed in 1890, the Doberman Pinscher is a medium-large dog. They are a common watch dog and have a reputation of being aggressive. If they are raised well from puppies, they are trustworthy and protective of children in the family.
13. This breed likes to drool?
Also known as a French Mastiff, the Dogue De Bordeaux, is a slobbering king. They are playful, gentle and loyal to their family members. They are bred to be protectors so they need to be trained young and socialized.
14. Scooby Doo is this breed?
From Germany, the Great Dane comes from a line of hunting dogs known from the Middle Ages. It is one of the largest breeds in the world.
15. This is a new crossbreed with a Golden Retriever and a Poodle?
The Goldendoodle is a new crossbreed. Goldendoodles are great service dogs. They are known to be hypoallergenic and don’t shed.
16. This large working dog is what breed?
The Newfoundland is such a gentle giant. This breed was even featured in the movie, Peter Pan as Nana, the nanny. This dog does need a groomer with all of its long hair.
17. A fisherman’s helper belongs to which breed?
The Portuguese Water Dog is a working dog. They are known to get along with children and other pets that are in the family. They are considered hypoallergenic.
18. This breed of dog was used for pulling carts?
This breed of dog is from Germany. Their main use was to herd livestock and pull carts to the market. If raised well from a puppy, these dogs are very affectionate and loyal towards their families.
19. These dogs were developed in the United States?
The Australian Shepherd was developed in the United States in the early part of the 20th century. It is believed that they got the name Australian Shepherd from their blue merle color pattern common to dogs brought over from Australia.
20. What breed is this happy dog belong to?
The Papillon is a spaniel dog. It is also known as the Continental Toy Spaniel. It gets its name from the butterfly because of its long and hairy ears.
21. This breed come in a variety of different colors?
There are 2 breeds of spaniels. The American Cocker and the English Spaniel are both called simply Cocker Spaniel. These dogs were very popular in the 1950’s.
22. This breed has skinny, little legs?
The Whippet originated in England. They come from the family of Greyhounds. They are good with young children and other pets.
23. What kind of spaniel breed does this dog belong to?
The breed of spaniel is a gun dog. They are happy and full of energy. They are well behaved and good with families.
24. What breed has unique eye colors?
The Siberian Husky is a working dog. This breed was used to pull heavy loads across tough terrain. They were bred to need very little food to survive.
25. This dog looks like a ball of snow?
Originated from south-central Europe, the Maltese belongs to the toy group. They are playful and enjoy being in a family, but can get a little too nippy with young children. They are great watch dogs.
26. They made a movie about 101 of these?
This breed is recognized by its coat of black spots. This breed can be traced back to Croatia. They have a lot of energy and can be trained easily to make good pets.
27. What breed does this toy belong to?
This little dog is a small bundle of cheer. They are obedient and get along with children and other animals.
28. This breed is often confused for a mop?
This dog is a type of sheepdog. It originated from Hungary. They are a great guard dog of livestock and property.
29. This breed looks like wise old men?
The Schnauzers come in a variety of sizes, mini to giant. They come from Germany in the mid to late 19th century. They make great additions to the family.
30. The whole dog in one perfect package is what?
Boxers come from Germany from the 1800’s and early 2oth century. They are loving, smart, fun and adorable. They are a great, sometimes silly, addition to any family.
31. This breed is one of the top dogs for families?
The Golden Retriever is known for its ability to carry and retrieve things with a soft mouth. They are very friendly and patient, therefore making amazing pets for children.
32. They have amazing smelling abilities?
The beagle is a part of the hound family. They are great scent hounds. In addition, the are happy and fun dogs to have join any family.
33. This ball of hair belongs to what breed?
The Shih Tzu was developed in Tibet. They are a ball full of energy and long flowing hair. They make great family pets.
34. One of the smallest breed of dogs is what?
The Yorkshire Terrier, also known as the Yorkie, is one of the smallest dog breed. They came from Yorkshire, England. They make good pets because they are loving and have great personalities.
35. Often confused as a hot dog, what kind of dog is it really?
Also known as the wiener dog, the Dachshund has a long body. They can have short, long or wired hair. They are loyal and good watchdogs. They can be a little difficult to train.
36. The movie, Beethoven, stared this breed of dog?
A very large dog breed, the St. Bernard is a working dog. They are from the western Alps in Italy and Switzerland. They are gentle giants and good with families.
37. This breed has been seen working with police?
The German Shepherd is a great working dog. It is large, strong and very intelligent. They can be very gentle and protective of family members.
38. This little dog was imported from England?
The French Bulldog is a great companion dog. They are a stocky, yet small dog. They make a great family dog that is calm and friendly with all.
39. The, “American Gentleman“ is what kind of dog breed?
The Boston Terrier originated in the United States. They are a great family dog because of their lack of aggressive tendencies.
40. He is a beast of a dog but with a heart of gold?
The English Mastiff is an extra large dog. They are good tempered dog and very loving to their family. They are recommended for older children only because of their size.